Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Finch
United Kingdom
BERKSHIRE
flag msg tools
badge
Rule changes for tonight's game:-
mbmbmbmbmb
It really bothers me when items that are chronologically ordered horizontally extend to the left to represent the future. For instance, I've got a new Android-based phone through work and it seems I need to swipe right i.e. the images scroll left to right, in order to advance in sequence through photos stored on the device. This seems fundamentally wrong-headed. Do we not increment to the right from the origin along the X axis?

Apple, as I recall, do it the correct way: photos shift right to left as we move forward in time. The otherwise excellent TV show Person of Interest regularly features flashbacks through the use of a timeline graphic, and they seem to have changed their minds half way through: years incremented to the right in early episodes, in the later ones the years increment to the left.

This might seem like the worst kind of big-endian rant, but geekdammit this kind of thing is important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend and I once had a lively discussion about whether a upward pointing arrow in a table header signifies ascending or descending sorting.

My reasoning was that since the arrow is pointing upwards that it means ascending (=going up).

His reasoning was that since the arrow is pointing upwards it means that the values get bigger when going through the table in that direction.

We both cited and demonstrated the behavior in some of our frequently used programs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
There was an article a couple year ago, in Scientific American, I think, about how people from different cultures arrange things in chronological order. People generally sort a series of pictures in the same direction their native language is read, but in a few indigenous cultures for whom compass directions were very important, people sorted the pictures by compass direction (say, west to east), regardless of how they themselves or the table they were sorting pictures on were oriented!

Alas, I couldn't find the article in a quick search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.