Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Attachment and exhausation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Yeoman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi all,

Apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere but I'm trying to wrap my head around attachments that can exhaust (e.g Book of Iod)

My question is if you exhaust Book of Iod to use it's effect can the character it is attached to still commit to stories. Or by exhausting attachment are you also exhausting the character as well? (I think the latter)

Cheers,
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exhausting an attachment does not exhaust the character unless the card specifically says so. An exhausted attachment generally puts no restrictions on the character to which it is attached.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're two different cards, either may exhaust without exhausting the other. I don't think there are any attachments that force the character to exhaust too, at least not that I recall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your first assumption when reading a card or rule is that it means for you to do exactly what is said nothing more, nothing less. Then, only if that makes literally no sense, or you find another rule or card that conflicts with it should you look into trying to interpret the card or rule differently.

In this case there is no rule in the rulebook or in the FAQ that says when you exhaust an attachment you must exhaust the attached character, and Book of Iod does not make it a requirement on the attached character, there is nothing to support that interpretation, so you exhaust only what you are directed to exhaust and continue on with the game.

May I ask why you thought you might need to exhaust the character, or why the exhausted attachment would prevent the attached character from committing to stories? If we can figure this out we might be able to give you some guidance to prevent these kinds of errors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent 57 wrote:
Your first assumption when reading a card or rule is that it means for you to do exactly what is said nothing more, nothing less. Then, only if that makes literally no sense, or you find another rule or card that conflicts with it should you look into trying to interpret the card or rule differently.

This is good advice. A lot of beginners seem to get tripped up assuming that things must work a certain way despite not being able to find any rules or card text to support their assumption. I guess they're probably bringing in baggage from other games, or just thinking that it "makes sense" to them personally? Don't really know, but it *is* a common stumbling point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Yeoman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi all,

Thanks for clearing that up. Regarding the point of where I got the idea from that a character could be exhausted I made an assumption based on the fact that the card attaches to the character therefor (in my mind) I thought it could be argued that the character and the attachment are one and the same. Especially in light of the fact that characters and attachments are destroyed together. This led me to thinking that character + attachment = 1 entity.

However - what you have all said makes perfect sense and if this scenario does come up at least I know what actually happens!

Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attachments are destroyed not because they become part of the character, but because attachments must be attached to something to be in play, otherwise they create an illegal playstate and must be destroyed. Some attachments return to hand or shuffle themselves back into the deck, and some can be put on other characters (not all in CoC t this point necessarily but in the LCG's in general), which prevent the illegal playset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent 57 wrote:
Attachments are destroyed not because they become part of the character, but because attachments must be attached to something to be in play, otherwise they create an illegal playstate and must be destroyed. Some attachments return to hand or shuffle themselves back into the deck, and some can be put on other characters (not all in CoC t this point necessarily but in the LCG's in general), which prevent the illegal playset.

Just to make sure there is no confusion. While that is true of attachments in Game of Thrones, the equivalent cards in Call of Cthulhu, Support cards, don't have to be attached to anything. Each specific support card will specify if it has to be attached to a card. The reasoning still stands that the ones that require that they be attached to something are discarded when that something goes away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, but he's specifically talking about Attachment cards, not general Support cards. I don't think there's any confusion.

Some Supports are Attachments, others are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane is correct, non Attachment Support cards do not attach to anything.

Dboeren however understood exactly what I was getting at: All Attachment support cards however do. An attachment support card must be attached.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.