Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

Heading to my first GenCon this summer. I was looking over the vendor hall map and I'm wondering if a booth like CoolStuff will have any deals on games or whether they're forced to sell at retail. There prices online are great, but I know things tend to be different at cons. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Devourer of Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not going to see CSI's online prices at Gen Con. Unless you use one of their computers to place an online order with them (I think they had those last year).

Their overhead is so much more, so they are pretty much obligated to sell at much closer to MSRP.

NOTE: You will probably be able to get a deal if you stop by at the end of the day on Sunday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got some great deals at their booth on Sunday. I think I picked up Cyclades for like $30 or so and Struggle of Empires for around $25.

They bring a lot of ding and dent games but they are well discounted and generally have very minor damage (my copy of Cyclades had/has a slightly crushed corner). If you're ok with that, I'd definitely recommend checking them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward F
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are always deals to be had at gencon. I remember last year a both was selling Rio Grande games for a huge discount. I got Power Grid for about $20 IIRC.

I don't know specifically about CSI, but there are tons of vendors there offering discounts.

The only company I'm not sure if you will see a discount on is mayfair. I remember being at origins one year and they told a vendor they couldn't sell any catan stuff because they had exclusive rights to sell it at the con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CSI's prices at Gen Con are pretty low. For example, in past years when FFG was selling Descent for 90 bucks, CSI was selling it for 68. They also lower their prices steadily throughout the con, with a huge drop on Sunday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin jung
United States
Palatine
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the other posts here best day to shop is on Sunday. They ship the product in from Florida and it cost them more to ship it back then it would to sell at a huge discount before they leave the Con. Earlier in the week you have to watch for what is hot to pick it up at the regular prices or it won't be there come Sunday. Getting what you want at the best price takes some skill- good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alwaysjung wrote:
Agree with the other posts here best day to shop is on Sunday. They ship the product in from Florida and it cost them more to ship it back then it would to sell at a huge discount before they leave the Con. Earlier in the week you have to watch for what is hot to pick it up at the regular prices or it won't be there come Sunday. Getting what you want at the best price takes some skill- good luck

Though keep in mind that if you're looking for the "new hot" games, you're best bet is to buy at full price on day one, or you won't likely see them again. Sunday does have some amazing deals, but only if you're not looking for anything too new or popular.

I ran a booth at GenCon for a year selling discounted games for a major retailer, and between hotel, transport, booth costs, and cost of product, we ended up making a $30 profit even though we sold through 80% of our product easily.

That should give you an idea that booths selling for website prices are likely only going to do so if they have a ton of overstock on something that nobody else wants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conventions give you a chance to haggle the price with the publisher. But you must understand: they don't want to spend more money to store and ship the product, but they are more willing to sell it to someone else for more money.

Go forth, browse, get the new hotness at asking prices (why should they lower it for you when you have several thousand buyers behind you reasonably on the first day?), and then see what youwant to discuss for some products when business seems to be slacking and time is expiring.

Have fun with it, but also remember they know about you: you want the game now and are willing to pay to be able to crack it open on the open game tables in a few minutes or tonight than wait for free shipping two weeks later.

Where these two realizations meet is the free market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cinnibar wrote:

Have fun with it, but also remember they know about you: you want the game now and are willing to pay to be able to crack it open on the open game tables in a few minutes or tonight than wait for free shipping two weeks later.

If you do this, just remember to not be a tool about it. I certainly remember these smug people offering me lowball figures to "do me a favor" and it was actually going to hurt my bottom line. Esp when you do one person a great deal and sell them something below cost... suddenly they come back with 9 friends all wanting the sale deal, and every person within shouting distance does too now.

Nice guys usually will get the better deal in the end... the jerks will simply hear the word "no."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Humpert
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
One other thing to point out is that there are restrictions on some of the publishers that the game sites are allowed to sell at Gen Con. For instance, you won't find anybody other than Fantasy Flight selling Fantasy Flight games. I think Mayfair imposes the same restriction. I believe just about all the Fantasy Flight games are all sold at MSRP at the con. Most Mayfair games will have some discount off MSRP, except for perhaps the hottest items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gencon is a great place to look for older games at below MSRP or clearance prices. But as others have said if you are looking for the new hotness you're better off ordering online if price is the main factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, there are usually a lot of new and sealed board games in the auction store for well below CSI online prices. Forgot to mention that. I think last year I got Pirates Cove brand new for 20 bucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Nice guys usually will get the better deal in the end... the jerks will simply hear the word "no."

Absolutely. Being nice can only help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ashton
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gone to Gen Con two years running, and I haven't seen any good deals with a couple of exceptions.

1. CSI's ding and dent sale can be good.
2. If you play Mayfair's games and collect ribbons, you can get a single game at 50% off, which is a very good deal.

I've tried haggling on Sunday, and I got one dealer who was willing to sell Mystery Express at $10 off, that was it. Now, this was two years ago when Mystery Express was new, so maybe that had something to do with it. When I tried haggling with publishers, they mostly just seemed offended! Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a great price on K2 last year on sunday marked down from $60 to $40.

They won't do their loyalty discount, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Sorensen
United States
Ames
IA
flag msg tools
www.TabletopGaymers.org
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, CoolStuffInc's prices were their discounted prices that you see online. They sold out of everything except Trajan, only because they brought so many and many hadn't heard of it.

They weren't able to give loyalty discount and I believe they had to charge tax. So the deals weren't AS great, but the prices were discounted from MSRP unlike any other booth I visited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also worth mentioning that they only carried titles from distributors not already represented at the Convention, like FFG and Asmodee.

They did have some really good prices on some items though, Trajan was actually for sale for cheaper than their website I was told, and was a new release, which made that a pretty shocking buy if you knew what you were looking at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Humpert
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Along with their regular online prices, there was a $2 coupon in the Gen Con coupon book. Plus, on Saturday, they started to discount their games further. I ended up getting:

Quarmageddon for $27,
Goa for $33, and
Axis & Allies 1941 for $16.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ashton
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CSI is definitely the place to go. I got a good deal on a ding + dent Lancaster, and I did notice some people were negotiating on some of the items they had there. The prices were low to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
I worked the CSI booth at Gencon in 2011. As it turns out, they and Chimera were my favorite vendors.

IIRC, There was a copy of Planet Steam for $80, Merchants and Marauders was down to $40... My brother got a really beat up Cargo Noir for $18, I got Neuroshima Hex for $30, and Chaostle... Chaostle was down to under $30 I think by Sunday. Ikusa was down to $25, I think. Prices dropped steadily throughout the con, but some games only had a few copies. Very exciting booth to be around.

Oh, and their minis bins (Star Wars, D&D, Clix) were hot, and some deals to be found in there.

Forgive me for being a bit off topic, but was Chimera there in 2012 too? I had gotten almost a complete set of Crimson Skies (WizKids) for $15 and their box prices on dead CCGs and minis were fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.