Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Schloesser
United States
Jefferson City
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Sander's thirst for a war game was finally satisfied as he and Willerd Fann re-lived the Battle of the Bulge, the old Avalon Hill classic. Amazingly, it was near 9:00PM before they finally slogged through the rules and prepared the game for play. Their progress wasn't helped by the collapse of one side of the table, causing counters and set-up charts to spill to the floor.

Eventually, the game commenced, but progress was very slow. It appears this one may take many weeks to play to completion. Hopefully, Willerd or Bill will provide reports as the game progresses.

Here is Bill Sanders' report of the Battle of the Bulge game began last week:

Willerd is playing the Allies, and I (Bill) am playing the German side. We are playing the "breakout" scenario, covering the initial thrust on Dec 16, 1944, extending to the change in weather that stalled German progress on Dec. 22. We are using the advanced rule set with all the options (mostly covering use of German commandos and some initial logistical problems).

To put things in context, the Ardennes offensive was the final German counter-offensive on the western front. Their objective was to hit the Americans at their weakest point of an extended front extending from Belgium to central France. If the Germans could penetrate to Antwerp, they could cut off 40 Allied divisions. Hitler had hoped this would not only weaken the Allied offensive, but would create an irreparable schism between the Allies. For a concise history, check out http://helios.acomp.usf.edu/~dsargent/index.html.

To make their bold plan achievable, the Germans needed the element of surprise and poor weather, which would take the Allied air superiority out of play. They got both. The beginning of this game has the Germans overwhelming a thin American line. The American units that start the game will likely all be eliminated, but they can effectively impede the Germans' progress until reinforcements arrive. If the Germans have not made enough progress by the time weather clears on the 23rd, they will be hopelessly outnumbered and, moreover, harassed by Allied air power.

This is a division level game with each turn simulating one half day of the battle. We have only played the opening day so far. I opened with a rather disorganized strike against the Allied middle and south. But I have managed (mostly due to Willerd's oversight, or unfamiliarity with the game) to open up a hole in the south to exploit. By the way, there is no exploitation movement in this system. If the Allies can put units at every crucial road intersection or town, the Germans are immobile. However, if the Allies fail to plug every hole, the Germans can maneuver around the Americans' defenses. Willerd has been successful in slowing the advance by blowing several bridges in the center of Luxembourg), but I am still making progress there. I am being rather clumsy. The Germans must make their gains in the North. This would take the British reinforcements out of the game. By far, most victory points are scored in the North.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bought the '81 version and am stoked about it. I'm about to read your other two posts pertaining to your game and that should ready me for a full rules read.

Thanks for posting this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schloesser
United States
Jefferson City
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wister wrote:
Just bought the '81 version and am stoked about it. I'm about to read your other two posts pertaining to your game and that should ready me for a full rules read.

Thanks for posting this!

You are welcome! I hope you enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.