Subject: Looking for a new adventure rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Pluvier
Belgium
Oostkamp
flag msg tools
Hi!

I've been searching the web for recommendations on board games and realized that this is probably the best place to ask about board games.

Recently i wanted to buy World of warcraft the board game because i love playing big, long adventure types with some friends. The kind of board game you start playing in the afternoon and are still playing late at night with tons of things to do. Sadly i can't find the board game anymore as it isn't being made anymore.

So my question to you. What are my options if i'm looking for a big, long adventure in a board game?

A big plus for me is co-op but not needed.

Thanks!
Greetz,
Pluven
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game or Runebound (Second Edition) might suit you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Pluvier
Belgium
Oostkamp
flag msg tools
I've had other people recommend Runebound to me but i haven't heard about mage knight, i'll look into that. Thanks for the tips!

Keep em coming!
Also is arkham in any way what i'm looking for, i have no idea what to expect from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror would likely work too.

EDIT: Android is another one you should look at, but it's one of the "love it or hate it" kind of game. I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) would be worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth Reborn - You can play this game forever, and the learning scenarios teach you several new rules with each game. It's the granddaddy of big, long, thematic games.
+1 Mage Knight: Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
Earth Reborn - You can play this game forever, and the learning scenarios teach you several new rules with each game. It's the granddaddy of big, long, thematic games.

I'm pretty sure Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) wins that title. Earth Reborn scenarios have decent length to them but not overly as where TI is nothing but a massively long game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Pluvier
Belgium
Oostkamp
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the responses, you've given me some research to do in the last hour .

I've looked into Descent: Journeys in the dark and i kinda like the whole 1 vs the rest but as i don't have a very large game group (most of the time it's 2-3) i can see it not being played much.

Same for Twilight Imperium, lovely suggestion i just think it will be more fun with more players.

For Earth Reborn it might be an option and something new for us but i don't get a sense of adventure coming from it. Then again it could just be me

Thanks for all the tips, i'm checking them all out and reading some reviews to make a decision. Keep em coming!

Greetz,
Pluv

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pluven wrote:
For Earth Reborn it might be an option and something new for us but i don't get a sense of adventure coming from it. Then again it could just be me

IMO, it's filled with adventure. Once you know all the rules, there are all sorts of things a player can do based on what's near him on the board, including searching for items and weapons, interacting with room equipment, setting mines, and of course you can consider attacking your opponent(s) in numerous ways. Plus, all these choices can be combined in turns too.

I suppose "adventure" is a subjectively defined word for each.

Good luck with your choice and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent: Journeys in the Dark is about as epic as you are gonna get.

Welcome to BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you seen Scott Nicholsons video on adventure games? It might give you some good ideas. He focuses on Vlaada Chvatil's Prophecy:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/1432/prophecy/board-games...

Also, consider Magic Realm for "true" adventure and immensely deep, long, and epic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Pluvier
Belgium
Oostkamp
flag msg tools
Military Muskrat wrote:
Descent: Journeys in the Dark is about as epic as you are gonna get.

Welcome to BGG!

Thanks for the welcome

It appears i'm going to have to check out Descent. Anyway i made a list of all games you guys suggested and i'm going to try to have a look at them at my local gamestore, see which one i like the most.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.