James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep returning to read about Hoplomachus and watch your videos. (Now I gotta go read the manual, which may help answer my question!) Yet I wanted to ask it all the same, in case you could shed more light for someone "on the fence" with the Kickstarter offer.

Hoplomachus reminds me of Neuroshima Hex, in that the game is played on a hex field, the pieces represent different kinds of fighters and units, and they can be made to work together as they battle.

Are you familiar with Neuroshima Hex? What I'm hoping you can demonstrate ways in which Hoplomachus differs from NH, beyond the visually appealing stack of health chips for unit health (which is nice, btw).

Offhand, the biggest difference I see is battles occur more at will in Hoplomachus, and not necessarily by an external trigger event. This was something I found some friends had difficulty with in NH, not being able to visualize the result of a full battlefield before the battel is resolved, and being disappointed at the results. (Yah, I won more often.) NH hit the table less often because of this. I do not wish to see that occur if I purchased Hoplomachus, so I and wondered if there were more in the game you could pass on that I may not know, or have overlooked.

Of course, if anyone else wishes to add a comment, please do!

Thank you.

james

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mehlhoff
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello James,

While I have not played the latest version I can comment on the basic playstyle of the game. I compare this game more to something like the battlelore series than Neuroshima Hex, and even then it's not that much like Battlelore, but in the sense that you move your characters, use special abilities and attack each other back and forth on the board. You're able to see everything in front of you and attack any time you're close enough basically. This makes it easy to visualize what's going on and full knowledge of what the enemy can (and probably will) do as their stats are all printed on the chip on the board.

If you have experience with Memoir 44, Battlelore, Battles of Westeros, Battlecry or Command and Colors Ancients this will feel more like these in the move, attack type and that it has hexes.

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Carlson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
James,

First off, I see another microbadge that I have got to have! Stargate FTW!!! It's nice to see another Stargate fan.

Secondly, Matt did a pretty good job highlighting some of the game's advantages.

I am familiar with NH, and I believe this game is much easier to visualize the battle as it unfolds. This is true because a player is in control of how much risk he is willing to 'use' each turn (does he keep his archers back? or does he try to 'bait' the other player to move in?). We call this 'risk' because our attacks are dice based, not a sure thing like NH.

To sum it up, each player is very much in control of whether they want to play an offensive or a defensive type of game. This game is very much about positioning and protecting, as well as taking a risk for a reward. There is this little thing called Crowd Favor... and a good crowd LOVES battle

Also, if you keep on winning games, you could always play Co-op

Hope this helps, and thanks for your interest James.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Carlson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
BAM! Stargate microbadge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt and Adam,

Thank you each for your replies. That helps.

@Matt, the comparison to Memoir helps a LOT... it's one of my favorites. That bodes well!

@Adam, I'm happy you have familiarity with NH. I realize that equating NH to Hoplomachus is more of a "surface comparison" of the two games, and I appreciate hearing there's more there than I could see.

I hadn't given any thought to co-op, which is a good idea. I DIG the concept of Crowd Favor, and I'll wager it was a great day when that inspiration hit you.

As for Stargate, any fan of Stargate is a friend of mine!

Thank you again,

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Fystro

Bristol
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stargate fan microbadge??!!?? What??!!

So glad that I ran across this thread. Stargate is my all-time favorite show! That badge will be the first badge I have ever purchased! Awesome! Indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.