Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

From the rules -

Quote:
Cavalry ignore one sword rolled against it by infantry

Units with a square ignore two swords rolled against it by circle units.

So, if archers attack cavalry, do the cavalry ignore 3 swords?

Do these modifiers stack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks that way to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jherek wrote:

That's my assumption. Note that superior rank is just for close combat, not ranged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jherek wrote:

From the rules -

Quote:
Cavalry ignore one sword rolled against it by infantry

Units with a square ignore two swords rolled against it by circle units.

Hmmm. We didn't interpret it that way. We read it as Red cav vs. Red foot still ignores a sword, and is the exception to the rule that red vs. red doesn't:

Red square vs red square: do not ignore.
Red square vs blue triangle: ignore one cross sword.
Red square vs green circle: ignore two
Blue triangle vs green circle: ignore one cross sword.

Not saying that I'm right, just saying that's how we played it. An official ruling would be in order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
earache wrote:

Hmmm. We didn't interpret it that way. We read it as Red cav vs. Red foot still ignores a sword, and is the exception to the rule that red vs. red doesn't:

Red square vs red square: do not ignore.
Red square vs blue triangle: ignore one cross sword.
Red square vs green circle: ignore two
Blue triangle vs green circle: ignore one cross sword.

Not saying that I'm right, just saying that's how we played it. An official ruling would be in order.

We played that cavalry was one extra rank above infantry so green units had three swords ignored against cavalry. Commander units even rank higher than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many dice to you think the green units roll?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad1642
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sounds like in this case you have superior "stature" (cav defending against infantry) AND superior "rank" (red defending against green). So my guess is they stack : red cavalry ignores 3 swords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:

Thought about that, but there are some cards that add dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:

lol...surprise

You never know.... In a perfect storm of green madness, a mounted leader inspired attack could be get +1 die. Played with the Shogun card it could get an additional +1 die. That's four die. Add a timely Desparate Charge to the mix and you could get another +2 die if there's only a single green figure left in your unit. All in all, if the stars aligned for that lone green figure it could be possible for a green unit to fire 6 die in close combat. A second perfect storm could then theorectically align to produce 3-4 swords on that one lucky 6-die green rolling occurance and thus cancel out the previous luck with an equal dose of bad die rolling luck (a common occurance in Commands and Colors games), thus leaving one wondering why one played so many darn good cards and spent so much of one's honor for little to no results (anybody ever think that before?)...

So, a command unit which can only be hit with sword rolls is indeed a very hard unit to take out (-4 swords against green, -3 against blue, -2 against red, -1 against cavalry). Red infantry and red cavalry are about your only real chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention that future expansions could grant additional dice.

Perhaps there will be a unit one day that provides a flanking bonus - friendly melee attacks against an enemy unit adjacent to this unit gain one extra die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say they stack, too. Infantry vs. Cavalry is just another modifier.

BTW, don't the rules say that Cavalry have superior stature over infantry? That's a different from superior rank. (EDIT: I see A_Denis beat me to the punch on this point.)

So, IMO, Mounted Samurai would ignore 1 sword from Samurai Naginata in Close COmbat, but that would be all.

Vs. Ashigaru Archers, they would ignore 3 Swords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm swayed. Stature + rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
mille1212 wrote:
So, a command unit which can only be hit with sword rolls is indeed a very hard unit to take out (-4 swords against green, -3 against blue, -2 against red, -1 against cavalry). Red infantry and red cavalry are about your only real chance.

I read back through the rules again. I could have sworn I read somewhere that the command unit was higher stature than the mounted unit, but I cannot find it anywhere now. Please forgive my misinformation above if I was incorrect.

It appears that the unit would not ignore four from a circle ranked unit as I originally thought. This has created an additional dilemna though. What rank is this unit then? It's not technically square, triangle, or circle. I am assuming this would mean it cannot ignore any swords from any unit which would make him a whole lot easier to kill than I originally thought. He seemed almost invinsible before...

What do you think? Is my new thinking correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think he ignore any swords, but he's not supposed to be in combat anyway - it's the general and his staff, not warriors. Yeah, I'm sure some of them can fight but the majority of them are probably messengers, "status" people, and strategists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize that this may change in the future (and look forward to it!), but for right now, the only green units we have don't get to count ANY swords in close combat.

So how many swords the higher class units ignore from them isn't a real challenge for now.

(Here's looking forward to a future unit that is green, moves 2 hexes and still battles, counts swords in close combat...and maybe has the old 'evade' option as a tactic... Or maybe they are peasant infantry and don't cost you honor when they retreat... lots of options!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian White
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
I believe Superior rank only applies to close combat.

Also you can only play one dragon card per your turn and one in your opponents turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.