Popular Tags: [View All]
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this is a question about Momentum and turn order. Lets set the stage: Lets say that A, B, C, D are playing the game and this is also their respective turn order. C has had a bad turn and lost control of a few states in the south. C is now in danger of losing control of several key states in the midwest to D. C decides to make an unorthodox move and play regional polling in the south to change the turn order. The turn order is now A, B, D, C. Does this mean that D has been skipped and now C can take another turn and either solidify his leads in the midwest or try to get back some of the states he has lost control over? I read the rules and some of your eratta regarding turn order here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/698921/turn-structure-in-div...

And it seems to indicate that there is either nothing against doing this. My question is if this is a legal move? Because in many cases skipping a players turn may be more valuable if timed properly than moving up in the turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out section 6.1, which deals with momentum (page 6 of the rules). Although one or more regions may be scored during a round of a turn, momentum does not change until the end of the turn.

"After each turn in which a poll has been played and players have acquired sate cards, players will adjust the Momentum Track, placing markers in order from most electoral votes to least, with ties being resolved by dice roll"

The rules state that the 5x rounds every player must take is one turn. If a polling card is played during one of the rounds, the momentum would not change until the end of the turn, so no players turn would ever be skipped due to a player using a regional polling card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the thing though, the word "turn" is used interchangbly when it refers to both actual turn order when it concerns Momentum table and the Turn track. That is why when I read that particular rule I wasn't sure whether it was allowed because to me the end of a turn means after a player has taken an action. I may be misinterpreting the rule, but if you click on the above like Alex said this:

Quote:
Momentum, as I have already mentioned, is important for determining turn order. It might be in your advantage to change your position in line, and sometimes that may mean INTENTIONALLY targeting regions in which your position is LOW, so that you are able to move later in a turn!

Which made me believe that that my interpretation was possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
harlemsushi wrote:
Here's the thing though, the word "turn" is used interchangbly when it refers to both actual turn order when it concerns Momentum table and the Turn track. That is why when I read that particular rule I wasn't sure whether it was allowed because to me the end of a turn means after a player has taken an action.

I see where that would be a bit confusing, but section 6.3 (End of Turn) also states that order of play (AKA momentum) is adjusted during this phase, if a regional poll was played during the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, that one covers it. I guess you can't do it unless Alex says otherwise. Appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bagosy
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven is correct. Turn order is rearranged only after a turn on which something that causes it to readjust has been conpleted. Therefore, it is possible for multiple polls to be played in one turn.

A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for clarifying Alex!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bagosy
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SW_Cygnus wrote:
Thank you for clarifying Alex!

Not a problem. Wish there weren't any ambiguities in the rules, but it's the inevitable result of multiple hands on the same document over multiple passes, and at any rate, one person's ambiguous reference will be as clear as day to another.

-Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.