For The Win» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Review of the Final Copy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Libby
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been some great reviews of this game already, all of which have been very stellar. I'd just like to add what works well about the final copy of the game, now that it's shipped.

1. SMALL BOX
Seriously. This game was meant for portability. Like Hive, it works well as a chess-like abstract, but without the need to cart around a board. It's similar to Looney Labs' Pyramids in this way. This game has become my go-to game to play with my wife in restaurants and whatnot. It's small and fast, and it's strategic, but light enough that it doesn't lead to very much analysis paralysis.

2. TILE QUALITY
Seriously good. Similar to the tiles from Bananagrams in feel, but a little bigger. Very strong, and will probably not break if dropped (although I will not try that).

3. CHARACTER ABILITIES
Okay, this has nothing to do with the final printing of the game, but it's something I really enjoy. It adds some big, interesting changes throughout the gameplay. In chess, I can take an opponent's queen, and it's shocking and devastating for the other opponent. However, it's still only one piece. In For The Win, my wife can use her monkey to flip six of my tiles at a time if I'm not looking. Many people will not like this aspect of the game, as it may add too much randomness for some. But in my mind, it greatly improves the game. It's a ten-minute filler, and shouldn't be looked at as a strategic game on the level of Chess. Still, For the Win manages to have some tremendous and memorable moments when these actions are used.

4. EXTRAS
This is only for those who received the kickstarter bonus tiles. The blue and green tiles are just as high quality as the others. Some have griped about them not having the same red backs as the white and black tiles, but this hasn't been an issue for any of the players in any of the games I've played. The bag is nice as well. I'll probably continue to use the box normally, but the bag is nicer if I'm taking a trip, as it's much more portable.

Again, there's not a lot that I could say about gameplay that hasn't already been said. The final copy is of great quality, and the game plays much like chess or Hive, but with extra flavor coming from the character abilities. I will use this often with my family and my youth group, especially when taking a trip. It's easy to teach, it's extremely portable, and it plays quickly. It's one of the most enjoyable two player gaming experiences I've had, and I look forward to many more games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Titan Dice in Kickstarter - September 19th!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review, I'm glad you are enjoying it!

My wife and I usually play games at restaurants so it's cool to hear that others do that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.