Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Strong Museum is adding pictures of board and card games to their website. However they require a HTML link and copyright notice to be able to use the picture freely.

It would be nice if BGG could add such a option so that their pictures could be added inside the database instead of as links.

For example see THhe Follow the Arrow Board:

http://www.thestrong.org/online-collections/nmop/3/48/111.34...

link to required html copyright:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/

Herb
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is already covered. When you upload an image, you can specify the rights that apply to it:



When you pick Creative Commons rights, the little graphic representing the rights is also a link to the relevant Creative Commons page.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, It seems to make a mess for me.

Here is the input where the html is interpreted.


and here is the result when viewed after uploading.



So the html is used in the caption box, but not in the actual caption for the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you mean.

As a workaround you could put it in the first comment to the image instead of the caption, although you'll need to use forum tags for URLs rather than the html they provide.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
It would be nice if BGG could add such a option so that their pictures could be added inside the database instead of as links.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/

FYI, no content using a Creative Commons license may legally be uploaded to BGG in any form. Uploading/posting/geekmailing anything grants BGG's company sublicensing rights to that content and derived works, which all CC licenses explicitly disallow (as they should).

(I know this is an old question. I was just searching for some CC info and happened onto this. Thought you'd want to know.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xethair wrote:
FYI, no content using a Creative Commons license may legally be uploaded to BGG in any form. Uploading/posting/geekmailing anything grants BGG's company sublicensing rights to that content and derived works, which all CC licenses explicitly disallow (as they should).


Does that mean that all the Wikipedia quotes on VGG are illegal? o.O
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xethair wrote:
herace wrote:
It would be nice if BGG could add such a option so that their pictures could be added inside the database instead of as links.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/

FYI, no content using a Creative Commons license may legally be uploaded to BGG in any form. Uploading/posting/geekmailing anything grants BGG's company sublicensing rights to that content and derived works, which all CC licenses explicitly disallow (as they should).

(I know this is an old question. I was just searching for some CC info and happened onto this. Thought you'd want to know.)


What part of the Terms of Service does this violate?

http://boardgamegeek.com/terms
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
What part of the Terms of Service does this violate?

It violates the Creative Commons license. "Sublicensing" is explicitly not allowed. Uploading/posting/geekmailing to BGG is granting sublicensing, by the Terms of Service (4.D). It only violates the BGG Terms because you aren't allowed to upload content you can't appropriately license to BGG.

The Terms are also sufficiently incompatible with the CC licenses that all CC marks used on BGG are falsely used. There is no CC content on BGG, because the Terms take priority over the marks and place restrictions that are incompatible with all CC licenses. That's a different issue, but if you are looking to share your own CC content, it's relevant, because you are not CC-licensing it when you share it here. (This is because the Terms were badly written and then not updated for the CC options, not because of some evil design to falsely mark CC content).

Zimeon wrote:
Does that mean that all the Wikipedia quotes on VGG are illegal? o.O

If they need their CC licensing (rather than being short enough to fall under fair use), then they are used in violation of the CC license. You can't transmit CC content through BGG, by CC terms. The BGG Terms are too grasping to be compatible with any share-alike license, on both the upload and the download ends.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.