Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Akolotu Moeloa
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was asked by my Friendly Local Game Store to play the overlord for the preview event tomorrow. This means I have a full copy of the game in front of me as we speak. (Let the jealous wailing and gnashing of teeth commence!)

I thought I'd start a thread for other demo volunteers to speak up about rules clarifications and share their experiences running the Second Edition.

I'll start off by saying the components are the usual top quality you expect from FFG. The miniatures are excellent and the dungeon tiles are nice and thick. Plenty of quality tokens and cards to play with. For a game that's supposed to streamline the original, this thing is packed full of goodies!

Let's hear from the other volunteers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got back from my FLGS where I sat down and devoured all of the rules and card text in preparation for my demo sessions tomorrow. The biggest take-away is how this game is definitely geared for campaign play. The one-shot adventure rules seem to be just a concession for those who aren't interested in the campaign mode.

I'm fine with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akolotu Moeloa
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that too. With travel cards and a dedicated campaign loot tracking sheet, you can't help but notice how much emphasis on campaign play they've built into the game.

Works for me too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason, the store had a demo copy, but 2 guys and I got to play 1/4 of the way through the campaign on a separate copy . We're playing again tomorrow, while everyone else is distracted by a magic tourney.

It was awesome. I am not disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be Overlording it up Sunday at Critical Hit Games in Iowa City, IA! It'll be interesting, since the store will be mostly full of people playing Magic (FFG, you scheduling this preview weekend during a M:tG core set release weekend was maybe not your smartest move), so we'll be relegated to a fairly small table.

I got to open the box and look at the rules and cards and quest guide, so I think I'm prepared. I'm pretty excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
HauRuck wrote:
4. Beyond the first scenario make sure to take the ACT II card versions of the creatures/boss if playing encounter 2 of a particular adventure... and for first scenario or first encounter of an adventure make sure they are the easier ACT I's.

That so? Thought act II cards came into play after the interlude only (and then for the full quests there, encounter 1 and 2 both), not in encounter 2 of pre-interlude quests?

le edit
We might be saying the same thing, depending on what you refer to with adventure and encounter
And if you do refer to act 2 followup quests (not encounters) connected to a given act 1 quest... wouldnt the cards you pick if you play it "one off" be based on your chosen power level, not on the fact that its a post interlude quest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
HauRuck wrote:
4. Beyond the first scenario make sure to take the ACT II card versions of the creatures/boss if playing encounter 2 of a particular adventure... and for first scenario or first encounter of an adventure make sure they are the easier ACT I's.

That so? Thought act II cards came into play after the interlude only (and then for the full quests there, encounter 1 and 2 both), not in encounter 2 of pre-interlude quests?

le edit
We might be saying the same thing, depending on what you refer to with adventure and encounter
And if you do refer to act 2 followup quests (not encounters) connected to a given act 1 quest... wouldnt the cards you pick if you play it "one off" be based on your chosen power level, not on the fact that its a post interlude quest?

Correct. The only time you ever use the Act 2 monster cards is if you're in a campaign that's past the interlude, or you're playing with the epic rule variant.

Also, note that the open groups can change between different encounters of the same quest; you're not required to (and oftentimes can't, as the traits can change) use the same monsters for the open groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HauRuck wrote:
16. Line of sight is any corner to any other...as long as not blocked by terrain red squares or character/creatures.. Conflicts with example in rules if you were to pick the back corner in the example given so We'eve assumed you must pick one of the two corners in the direction of the enemy...and one of the two corners of the enemy closest to you. Only less than clear rules point to me thats come up in 10 total games played tonight.

Seems clear to me. You can't trace line of sight through a creature... including yourself. Using the back corners of your square would require your line of sight to pass through your own figure.

At least, that's how I interpreted it, and it seems consistent with the examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HauRuck wrote:
So, for those that like to be rules lawyers, why generically state ANY corner can be used if two of them would ALWAYS be blocked?

You might have monsters on either side of you. Two of the corners would be used for monster A, but the other two corners would be used for monster B. It's basically an alternative way of saying that there's no such thing as "facing"; you can decide on the fly which way you're looking. You can consider any of the four corners to be "forwards" on your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Livingston
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was shocked to see that every single hero starts with a grey dice for their defense, so there are no "tanks" in the game which was such a big part of first edition. Everything is fairly squishy and they only differ by health.

Does anyone know if there are tanks in the conversion kit heros?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Livingston
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoneCoder wrote:
So I was shocked to see that every single hero starts with a grey dice for their defense, so there are no "tanks" in the game which was such a big part of first edition. Everything is fairly squishy and they only differ by health.

Just checked and every hero in the conversion kit also just has the grey dice. They're sure going to be getting a workout in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
LoneCoder wrote:

What really? ALL the heroes start with the same defense die?..... That's more than a little... underwhelming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LoneCoder wrote:

Do character powers, starting equipment, and class abilities not count? From the previews, it seems pretty easy to set up a tank character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are armor and shield items, as in 1E. Shields can be exhausted to give you an extra shield symbol (higher shields can also let you reroll a defense die). Armor gives you extra defense dice, and heavier armor does slow you down. I don't remember offhand what skills give you extra dice, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fillhart
United States
Pleasant Valley
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Visit my website: www.fillharttech.com where I blog about fixing retro game systems.
mbmbmbmbmb
I volunteered as well to demo the weekend preview at my FLGS and sadly there wasn't as much excitement for the game as I had hoped. Thankfully though for my dedication to the game and hours I volunteered showing the game off and discussing my knowledge I was given all 4 of the promo characters I'd say it was worth the 13 hours I spent over the weekend.

On top of that, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the promo characters also came with the Runebound and Runewars cards as well, so not only did I get 4 new characters for Descent 2nd edition, I also got 4 new characters for Runewars!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LoneCoder wrote:
LoneCoder wrote:

Just checked and every hero in the conversion kit also just has the grey dice. They're sure going to be getting a workout in this game.

Are you sure? One of the preview pics showed Landric the Wise with a brown defense die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.