Hide
7 Posts

The Ares Project» Forums » General

Subject: How to prevent cheating in this game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
k k
msg tools
I have not tried Ares Project, but according to the information I gathered, it seems like in this game, players play their cards behind a screen to prevent the opponents from seeing what the players are doing (fog of war). I am not too sure about other details such as, is the number of cards in your hand is hidden.

Will there be cases where players cheat behind the screen and are not founded out?

In many card games, there is no fog of war, so you can clearly see the number of cards in the opponent's hand and what moves he had played, so there is less issues where players can try to cheat since you can watch them if they do anything suspicious.

The reason I ask is because, if I were to hold an Ares Project tournament, assuming that it is a 1 on 1 tourney, it would be difficult to have a judge for each player

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Wakeford
United Kingdom
Nairn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This really isnt an issue in TAP. The hidden actions are very simple, either place a card face up or face down. not a lot of scope for cheating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen it be an issue. The key design feature is that there is never any reason to touch a card once it hits the table behind the screen. So if someone is doing something you can call shenanigans.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic"
mbmbmbmbmb
Select gaming friends that don't cheat to win a board game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The same way I prevent cheating in other games: I don't play with people prone to cheating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Charters
msg tools
I just don't play with people that cheat. If I ever find someone actively cheating,I won't play with them ever again, and Ill tell anyone in my playgroup not to play with them either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Davis
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
If you really wanted to do a tournament or something you'd probably just need one moderator per table. If they stand between the two players they would likely be able to see any funny business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.