Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Skids and the Listen Skill rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
The listen skill allows the investigator to re-roll all ones. Skid's special ability allows him to re-roll ones with a bonus die per one (two dice per one).

What order can these skills be used in:

1) Make the check; use Skid's ability to re-roll ones. If the check still fails, use Listen to re-roll any ones rolled on that re-roll, without his bonus.

2) Same as 1) above, but since it's a re-roll, you can use his bonus to re-roll any additional ones. For example: Skids makes a four-die check, failing, rolling two ones. Using his special ability, he re-rolls four dice (2 ones +1 die per one). You fail again, rolling an additional one. You then use Listen, re-rolling the four dice from the original failure. Can you now have six dice, rolling two for the extra one rolled on the re-roll?

3) Re-roll the ones using Listen first. If the check is still failed, add all the ones together from both rolls and get two dice per one.

I'm sure that #3 is wrong, since you're using the Skill to re-roll the original check, thereby negating the entire result.

#2 seems the most likely, since you aren't using his special ability twice; you're using a skill to re-roll. It's all part of the same skill check, and Skid's special ability specifically says once per skill check.

Is that a legitimate loop hole or am I trying to pull a fast one, without meaning to?

Is any of this even remotely understandable? It's a little convoluted, and I'm having a hard time conveying what it is I'm trying to do.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max H-B
Denmark
flag msg tools
The (smart?) way I remember/understand Skids' ability using your example in 2) is as follow:

After the initial roll you can spend 0+ clues to roll some more dice.
Then activate his ability giving you 2 xtra dice pr 1 you have rolled so far (and not 1 + reroll the 1).
Use some more clues if u want.
Use listen to reroll all 1s you have rolled so far.

So if you didn't use any clues before or after his ability you'll have the 4 initial dice + 4 more from the ability and then rerolling any 1s in those 8 dice.

Not sure if it's a (house)rule or something I remember from another game but my group usually play that you can't reroll a rerolled dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skids's ability and the Listen ability are independent. You may choose which order to do them, but you must do one before the other. On that note, it would be best to use Skids's ability first, since it will give you more dice, and thus more opportunities to roll 1s to then use the Listen ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Skids's ability and the Listen ability are independent. You may choose which order to do them, but you must do one before the other. On that note, it would be best to use Skids's ability first, since it will give you more dice, and thus more opportunities to roll 1s to then use the Listen ability.

So if Skids rolls two ones on the initial roll, he then rolls four dice (or six?), fails and rolls two more ones, he can then use Listen to re-roll all four ones thus far?

Does he get three dice per one rolled or two? Re-roll the one, plus one or re-roll the one plus two? I've always allowed him two dice per one.

Luckily, in this instance, he succeeded with his special ability; but the game isn't over yet.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
So if Skids rolls two ones on the initial roll, he then rolls four dice (or six?), fails and rolls two more ones, he can then use Listen to re-roll all four ones thus far?

Ahhhh I misunderstood. I thought that Skids's ability re-rolled the 1 in addition to adding a new die.

I would say that, yes, he can then apply Listen to the original 1s. That means he uses Listen to re-roll all four 1s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the exact wording is gain two bonus dice for each one rolled. In my original post, I was taking a shortcut by calling it 1 + 1, which, in a manner of speaking, it is. Using the exact terminology, though, will make a difference here.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.