The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Finally a deck for Bilbo! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Miller
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
This deck was built for RTR (which has been mercilessly killing my 2-3 handed dwarf decks).

Love this deck, love the new Glorfindel, and finally love Bilbo!

OK now help me make it better

Heroes: Bilbo, Glorfindel (spirit)

Nuetral:
X2 Song of Kings
X3 Resourceful
X3 Gandalf

Leadership:
X3 Sneak Attack
X2 Steward of Gonder
X1 Faramir
X1 Dunedain Wanderer

Spirit:
X3 Elrond's Counsel
X2 Light of Valinor
X3 A Test of Will
X2 Hasty Stroke
X1 Will of the West
X1 Dwarven Tomb
X3 West Road Traveller
X2 Unexpected Courage
X1 Bofur
X1 Out of Sight
X1 Stand and Fight

Lore:
X3 Daeron's Runes
X1 Strider's Path
X1 Henamarth Riversong
X1 Fast Hitch
X2 Asfaloth
X1 Needful to Know
X1 A Burning Brand
X1 Forest Snare
X3 Rivendell Minstrel
X1 Gildor Inglorion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
I am not too familiar with RTR yet, but two general observations anyway:

1. You are playing solo, so I would cut your copy of Will of the West. It seems to have no special use.

2. Between Bilbos heavy card draw and 3x Rivendell Minstrels, I can usually make do with only 1 copy of Song of Kings. Might be you want both on each hero, but I'd say 1x is enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Miller
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
sirprim wrote:
I am not too familiar with RTR yet, but two general observations anyway:

1. You are playing solo, so I would cut your copy of Will of the West. It seems to have no special use.

2. Between Bilbos heavy card draw and 3x Rivendell Minstrels, I can usually make do with only 1 copy of Song of Kings. Might be you want both on each hero, but I'd say 1x is enough.

WotW is for when I've burned all my best cards early, but i could probably go without it.

Song of Kings x2 is to increase the odds of getting it early. With the 3 RMs and 2 SoK's my odds are very good. I could possibly go without.

What would you like to see in their places?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
Since your deck contains many 1 offs, I'd say 2 Imladris Stargazer could help you getting the right cards at the right time. Small added bonus would be the Minstrel shuffling your deck once in a while.

But these answers depend highly on RTR, which I haven't played enough yet. So time for others to step forward ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'm a big fan of Fast Hitch, so my suggestion would be to throw two more of them in there. Sure, Bilbo's stats aren't very good, so he doesn't get the best use out of having more than one, but even two Fast Hitches on him let him Quest, Defend and Attack all in one turn, plus having three in the deck improves your odds of getting one early, which means you can quest with him every turn without worrying too much about defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Weidus
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Replace WotW with The Galadhrim's Greeting?

If you could squeeze in a Warden of Healing, then your deck could take some undefended challenges as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klemp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Maybe I'm missing something, but you're playing 3 spheres with only 2 heroes?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexklemp wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but you're playing 3 spheres with only 2 heroes?...

Song of Kings gives a hero the Leadership sphere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klemp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Dam the Man wrote:
alexklemp wrote:

Song of Kings gives a hero the Leadership sphere.

surprise can't believe I missed the song... oops

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
notrub eneg
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick comment on the RMs. Until recently (new cards have helped to displace them), I also used a high number of RMs to increase early access to Songs. When I already had or quickly got them, I tended to use them for questing or fodder. It worked well, I thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hubenig
msg tools
mb

Get ride of two cards and get two Nolder hammersmith.

I would get rid of one of the songs for one.

You have lots of usefull attachments, some of them very usefull, but only one offs, like unexpected courage and forest snare.

I know you already have good card draw with bilbo, but the noldur hammersmiths help you find them faster, fill your hand up with attachments quickly and then down your deck so you are drawing more allies and important events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hubenig
msg tools
mb

Looking over the deck again, if this is ment to be a versitle deck that can deal with a few quests, I see a problem with enemies.

Glorfindle hits hard for a starting hero, but in a lot of quests you need to beable to brign down 6-9 points with of enemey. There are not a lot of hard hitting allies aside from the pricey elf and gandalf.

Now with threat being kept low, you can avoif engagement to a certain extent, but sometimes enemies start to pill up in the staging area and there threat becomes too much to overcome, and you need to chew up a few monsters.

I feel you need to trim down some events and attachments and bring on some allies that hit for 2-3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.