Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent game, I landed on a location with the intent of "challenging" it or whatever it's called. The directions on the matching location card said I had to "succeed one challenge and then...etc" to take the card.

I failed the challenge and the "fail" option told me I had to drop my only follower at that spot, which would be right at the location.

This creates some intresting rule questions.

The rules state that normally, since most times "dropped" followers will be at spots on the board you can enter normally, that to pick them you, you enter the spot, face an encounter, and then if you win you can pick up the follower.

Problem? You can't willfully enter location spaces unless the card is one of the active location cards (or you're holding one as your hidden card.)

So in the case that I was in, where I had just failed an encounter and had to drop my follower at that spot, my choices got complicated.

The rules say you can stay where you are to try to "win" the location again. No problem there. I just assumed that in this case, before I attempted the location challenge, I'd draw an encounter to try to pick up my dropped follower first and then draw the encounter for the location.

At first I wondered if, say, I failed to pick up my follower, if I could opt NOT to try for the location, as I'd need the red die help my dropped follower gave me.

But then I figured that no..if I chose to stay at the location instead of buggering off, I can't opt not to try for it, as you're told in the rules that you MUST move unless you're staying at a location to try again.

But, just to make things more complicated, here's what happened....

1. I failed the encounter to "win" back my dropped follower.

2. As I stayed put, I HAD (by my reasoning explained above) to make an attempt at the location.

3. I succeeded, which meant I got to take and keep the location card. But now there's still a follower that had been dropped there.

4. On my next turn, going by the rules, I can't stay where I'm at to pick up the dropped follower, as there's no longer an "active" location card there (this is assuming that the same location didn't get flipped up once I took the one that I had just won), and I HAVE to move, and I'm not allowed to enter a location unless there's an active card for it face up...

Very long story short...by the looks of it...my poor dropped follower was just stuck there. I have to leave the space, and I can't go back (by my reasoning...until or if a new card gets flipped up for that location) in to grab him...

so poor Hershell just had to be left behind at the Warehouse. I can roll with this, since thematically I can make sense of it (a follower deciding they can't go on) but I just wanted to be sure I was correctly tip-toeing my way through this particularly difficult reading of the rules.

Thanks for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Howard
United States
EL CAJON
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just made the decision that you had to get the follower first on one turn, and then go for the location on the next turn. It makes things a little easier by not declaring that I'm going for the location and focus just on trying to nab the follower, but of course I have to move off the location first, and come back (meaning I'd have to fight a zombie token then do the encounter for the follower).

If not, it can be super tough to have to go through the first encounter (without the follower) then have to go through one or more encounters for the location without having the opportunity to use medpacks if I got roughed up in that first encounter.

As we all know, the rule book for this game is horrifically light on clarification, and some individual interpretation needs to happen. I'd suggest just deciding on a rule and sticking to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
From the FAQ page of the boardgame's site under encounters.

http://www.walkingdeadboardgame.com/faq.html

Quote:
If you are trying to scout a location and are told to leave a follower on that space as a part of failing an encounter, where does that follower go? How can you regain that follower?

The follower token is placed on the location space you are on. You may try to regain the follower next turn, and then attempt to re-scout the location, regardless of your success in collecting the follower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for responses.

The FAQ, which I appreciate for being so concise and tidy (as frustrating it is to have yet ANOTHER game that requires having to look at a FAQ every minute), doesn't quite answer the "question," if there is one, about what to do if you..

(a)...drop a follower at a location

(b)...choose to stay in the same spot to try to pick him/her back up before you try for the location again.

(c)...fail the attempt to snag the follower but DO manage to score the location.

The rules state you MUST move, unless you're staying in place to attempt a location again. And if you beat the location before you pick your buddy back up, then on your next turn, unless that location is "valid" again by having it's card get turned up (or if you have the card as your hidden on) then, going by the rules, you've got to leave the poor guy/girl there until the location goes "live" again and you want to try to grab it.

At least that's the way I read it.

As for what's mentioned in the response about stepping off and stepping back on to retry, it wouldn't leave a zombie behind because you don't have to ever put zombies on Location spaces. The rules state you can just stay put and try again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.