Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Williamson
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A strange question perhaps but I was wondering where was the best place to get good quality and cost effective baize (or similar table covering) in the UK for gaming sessions, more particularly the London area.

Had a couple of vigorous games of Parade and Dungeon Fighter today and the wooden surface tends to cause friction against the cards and/or take a bit of a beating from dice thrown from five feet away. Get in enough trouble with the wife with the amount spent on games without ruining the dining table too... modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also appreciate some information on this topic from my fellow BGGers. I've seen lots of giddy talk on the forums about 'gaming mats' and suchlike, but haven't the first clue where to buy one.

If no help is available I'll be reduced to visiting the local's pool table with a stanley knife to fulfil my baize needs. Save me from a life of crime BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I got some quite thick material from http://www.dunelm-mill.com/info/store-locator/ for one of mine. Explain to them what you want it for and they'll recommend a suitable fabric you can buy by the metre, I'm sure I spent less than a tenner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
We bought a nice, black tablecloth which goes everywhere in my 'games support caddy' (also containing spare baggies, rubber bands, Start Player deck etc).

Practical, cheap, work-free and good-looking too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Williamson
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a Dunelm Mill near me. I think I will give that a go, especially if it is going to work out that cheaply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a sheet of felt I bought from Fabric Land, very good value (certainly the best £3 I have spent on gaming), and it's still holding up after 2 years. They have 10 stores in the south and do mail orders, and their website is spectacular:
http://www.fabricland.co.uk/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wilson
United Kingdom
Beverley
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the Citadel Battle Mat 6' x 4' and good for wargaming too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear oh dear - don't you know anything? The baize is there to protect he games from the table, not the other way around. whistle

My bit of baize came from a pool table refurbishing business; we ignore the black dots in the middle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harris
United Kingdom
Surbiton
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote here for Fabricland. Very good stock and helpful staff (in the Kingston store).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Or for those agrophibics amongst us:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Green-Acrylic-Craft-Fabric/dp/B...

With material it is always advised to go to a material shop, say to the lady "I want X metres of this pls, I am hoping it will fit Y" and then pay your £2-£15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.