Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The company had a similar problem with their Duel in the Dark game, so I don't think it was limited to a few defective copies off Craigslist.

Just leave it out for several days. Check the Duel of the Dark folder too, someone iirc had steps they took to get rid of the smell, whether it was mothballs, fabreze or something else.

Just leaving it spread out in a warm garage for a few days should help signficantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have also heard that if you put it in the freezer overnight it helps.

Something about freeze-drying-out the odor...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Shabatowski
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One suggestion you might consider is to place a quantity of good quality activated carbon into a mesh bag and keep that bag in the box for about 4 weeks. The carbon is adsorbtive meaning it absorbs odours for a limited amount of time. You can get this product from any pet store, it is used in aquarium applications primarily.Don't use poor grade carbon, it would be dusty

It should work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I placed my copy in a box with mothballs in it for a couple weeks. It did not work. Then on a very hot day I put it outside. I had placed a few tokens in a plastic bag and to my surprise, the bag being dewing up inside. So I took everything out and really dried it out this time. I hope the smell is finally gone. I have not checked recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone else think that a customer shouldn't have to figure out ways to stop their board game from smelling like grandma's house?! whistle

Granted, it sounds like this was a used copy, but I've heard of other people who got a brand new game that smelled terrible. Talk about a quick way to turn me off a company...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gerald the old master
msg tools
mb
I like the smell ! It's glue.............

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.