Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see any threads on this - has there been any discussion about variant rules for Shock Troops? I dislike that they're earned from GFs rolling a 10. They're the only thing in the game that's really dependent on the results of a die roll, and it seems really swingy to suddenly have a few forces transform into badasses...or, contrariwise, really annoying to have a GF level-up only to immediately level-down because they're alone on a planet or something.

So, has anyone come up with alternate ways to earn STs, or alternate abilities?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greycloak
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use the variant from Shattered Ascension.

Can be produced at any SD (except Arborec) for 3 resources.
Convert 1 GF into a ST for attacker automatically after winning ground combat.
Gen Synthesis allows you to convert 2.
May set aside any number of ST before invasion combat marked as commandos. They do not participate in ground combat, but will automatically convert 1 structure per commando if they win the battle.

Unrelated to shattered ascension:
Our last game we removed the restriction that they must always be present with GFs.

We've been playing with these rules for two games now, and STs have actually seen use though not overwhelmingly so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
With these rules, must STs still be removed as casualties before GFs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JohnnY C
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Yes, and that's half the point with the "Commando" ability. If you don't want to lose them in an easy fight, you can actually take them out of the combat.

The _reason_ why they have to be removed first is simply because there are no physical plastic pieces for these guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
PsiComa wrote:
The _reason_ why they have to be removed first is simply because there are no physical plastic pieces for these guys.

Even in TI2, Shock Troops had to be removed first. In TI2, you slid a Shock Troop marker over a GF flag to show that it was a Shock Troop (and regular GFs would use a different flag), and didn't have the same "must be present with a GF" rule.

I think thematically the reason ST's have to die first is they are always on the front line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
sigmazero13 wrote:
I think thematically the reason ST's have to die first is they are always on the front line.

... and a simple control marker would sort the lack of plastic out. Either they're on a planet you control (in which case, if it has no GF or MU, it's got a control marker on it anyway) or they're on one of your carriers. I don't see there's any potential for confusion about who they belong to, so I agree the rule seems to be thematic not plastic-related.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JohnnY C
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
How would you represent 1 Shock Troop?

A lot of discussion has gone on in the past on whether it is possible to remove the "ST's cannot exist alone"-rule, but it always ended on that there is no good and "clean" way of doing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PsiComa wrote:
How would you represent 1 Shock Troop?

A lot of discussion has gone on in the past on whether it is possible to remove the "ST's cannot exist alone"-rule, but it always ended on that there is no good and "clean" way of doing it.

Erm... Stick a control marker on it seems the obvious solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:

As I note above, it would be pretty tricky in any event to have a ST present without a friendly GF, MU, carrying unit, or control marker. You'd think the awesome brains behind SA would have noticed that given the squillions of games they have played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Octopus
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
"...that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the the field of battle - victorious."
mbmbmbmbmb
damerell wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

As I note above, it would be pretty tricky in any event to have a ST present without a friendly GF, MU, carrying unit, or control marker. You'd think the awesome brains behind SA would have noticed that given the squillions of games they have played.

You're right Mr. Snarky, it's not a common occurrence. Which makes the rule fairly minor anyway. Thus it's not difficult to house rule. Using Control Markers is something that our group has done as well, but I think it is a matter of taste whether it looks good or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realise aesthetics was an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
magicoctopus wrote:
You're right Mr. Snarky, it's not a common occurrence.

I'm willing to be corrected, but I don't just think it's uncommon. I think it's impossible, if we accept that a planet with only an ST on it can be given a control marker so there's no need to place one on the ST.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JohnnY C
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Aesthetics is always an issue. It's weird if all units in this game is three-dimensional except one. And a flat marker can possibly be overlooked by opponents because it was hidden behind other units. That would be crippling to any game.

Quote:

Ouch! Haha, man. You got me good there indicating that I don't know the basic rules of the game. That's very clever of you. But for the record, what I didn't understand was your first post with the control marker. I just don't see it as a viable solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
PsiComa wrote:
Aesthetics is always an issue. It's weird if all units in this game is three-dimensional except one.

When you say "except one", is it Leaders or Mercenaries you are thinking of as the one flat marker?

Quote:
But for the record, what I didn't understand was your first post with the control marker. I just don't see it as a viable solution.

It's a good job it's not necessary, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JohnnY C
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Quote:
When you say "except one", is it Leaders or Mercenaries you are thinking of as the one flat marker?

Leaders are not units, as you know. Mercs are rubbish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ɓukasz S
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
I prepared 3 new system with planet refresh ability like Hope's End.
And each game you have 3-4 planets with ST.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.