Popular Tags: [View All]
Viranga Ratnaike
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
A translation of my given names.
badge
I hope to replace the photo with a drawing of my own.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this is the write place to post my question.

I'm looking for a version of draughts that I haven't played since my childhood. It uses a 16 x 16 board - there are 40 pieces per side (5 rows of 8).

I guess I'm really looking for the board, as I can substitute pieces from other games without much trouble. I don't really have the woodworking skills that I guess would be needed to make my own board. I guess I could draw a board on a very large piece of cardboard, but that I imagine that wouldn't age well, let alone be aesthetically pleasing.

Has anyone else played this version? I'm afraid I never knew a name for it other than "draughts".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander P
msg tools
In which country do they play 16x16

You see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draughts
that there are a lot of draughts variants.
The most widely used are 8x8 (several types) and 10x10.
In some countries in Asia and in Canada the play 12x12.

Once I could read about 14x14
http://laatste.info/bb3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3509
used in the Capetown area.

But I never heard about 16x16.
Would be nice if you tell more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viranga Ratnaike
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Draughts wrote:

Once I could read about 14x14
http://laatste.info/bb3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3509
used in the Capetown area.

Thanks for the link
The 14x14 set up looks similar to the 16x16, but doesn't have the 16x6 unpopulated middle region at the start. The 'dumm' kings sound a lot more powerful than any kings in any version of draughts that I've played. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the text.

Quote:
But I never heard about 16x16.
Would be nice if you tell more.

This was in Sri Lanka, more than 20 years ago. My memory might be playing tricks on me, but I remember 5 rows of 8 for each side. Cousins of a friend had the board. I suppose it's possible that they made their own board.

I also played with my father, on a more conventional 8x8 board, but I preferred the larger board.

You could have strategy and staging, rather than just tactics (although I didn't think in those terms at the time). You could painstakingly/enjoyably move little groups of pieces into vacant territory. Despite having similar rules, it played very differently to regular draughts. I'm possibly drawing too long a bow to compare it with Shogi, but there's a similar 'feel' in the making of little journeys

I'd like the 16x16 board for two main reasons:
* I don't actually have a draughts set in my collection. Although, I can simulate an 8x8 game on a chess board, it doesn't feel like draughts to me.
* I'd be able to emulate any version of draughts I've ever played. I'd be able to play any version once I got around to acquiring proper pieces (that interlock nicely to make kings).
* It'd help bring back nice memories

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Rosenau
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
viranga wrote:
This was in Sri Lanka, more than 20 years ago. My memory might be playing tricks on me, but I remember 5 rows of 8 for each side. Cousins of a friend had the board. I suppose it's possible that they made their own board.

According to what I have heard, board size in Sri Lanka is 12x12. But then, I have not heard about the 14x14 board in South Africa either. The kings sound as if they were as in International Checkers, which is not particularly strong. Yet, it could be as in Frisian Checkers, a game that may, in my opinion, profit from having more pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viranga Ratnaike
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zickzack wrote:
Yet, it could be as in Frisian Checkers[/thing], a game that may, in my opinion, profit from having more pieces.

In Frisian Checkers, can you move horizontally and vertically as well? Otherwise, apart from kings, I can't figure out how you would ever be in position to capture horizontally and vertically.

I guess I could combine the "small journey" feel from my (possibly imaginary 16x16) memories with the free form play of Frisian Checkers. I could play draughts on a Go board or goban (which I also want to acquire). Are there tiny draughts pieces to be found - that would fit within goban grid squares? Go stones probably wouldn't stack well to make kings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander P
msg tools
I'm afraid if it is memory mistake ( when you are small everything seems big )

The game played in Sri Lanka as far as I know is 12x12.
Same as in Canada only played on mirrored board.

If you Google you will find photos

https://www.google.nl/search?q=draughts+sri+lanka&hl=nl&rlz=...

And everywhere in Sri Lanka people play on 144-squares board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viranga Ratnaike
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Draughts wrote:
I'm afraid if it is memory mistake ( when you are small everything seems big )

Perhaps the big empty spaces occurred after I was losing

I'm still happy: the responses have provided some interesting information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fiona Jordan
Ireland
flag msg tools
Hi,
The 16x16 board is in a 200 games compendium that I received second hand. (The compendium is from Perl Speile) The instructions are missing- but from web research I believe it to be used for the following games:
Go (a junior version of the Chinese game)
Foxes and Hens (medieval version of chess)
Knights and Castles (medieval version of chess)
I haven't come across a droughts game- if you get the instructions I would appreciate them- wiki has the instructions for the above games
In order to make the board game, buy a piece of wood that's larger than the game board you want (large DIY stores will cut the wood to size- but you will have to pay for the whole piece). Cut strips of thin card or gift wrap into even strips with a paper guillotine, and weave it into a board grid. Glue it on with a good quality wood glue, and coat the board in several coats of varnish (I favor 2 parts clear PVA to 1 part luke-warm water)
Leave it to dry for a few days before playing on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viranga Ratnaike
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FionaMJordan wrote:
Hi,
The 16x16 board is in a 200 games compendium that I received second hand.
I haven't come across a droughts game- if you get the instructions I would appreciate them- wiki has the instructions for the above games
In order to make the board game, ...

To which wiki do you refer?

I wouldn't know where to get the instructions. Although, I can tell you what I remember of the game. I'm afraid I can't guarantee any level of authenticity.

My after-childhood dream has not quite faded. Thank you

I figured out how to transfer some extra gg directly to you. A number between 7 and 9 can acquire a microbadge of your choice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.