Subject: What other game would you compare this game too? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been interested in Automobile for some time. Was curious as what other game you would compare it too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
It reminded me a lot of Steam. At least the roll selection/turn order mechanic is the same. Automobile doesn't have Steam's spacial elements so it feels more "straight economic" to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's a pure economic game, like Brass: Lancashire, but those two don't have much in common. The basic concept is you produce items (cars) and try to sell them for a profit. There are some much older games that use that as a basis (like the 40 year old 3M/AH classic Executive Decision from Sid Sackson), but I can't think of any recent games that do that. The interesting thing in Automobile is it punishes you if you overproduce and also has a more realistic model of production costs, all within a fairly simple system.

One game it does feel like, strangely enough, is The Princes of Florence, even though mechanically and theme-wise, they have nothing in common. That's because in both games, you have a tiny number of actions to meet your goals. It makes both games really tense, since every action counts. Automobile is one of all-time favorite games and I can't recommend it enough to fans of heavy economic games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Monitoring this thread, as Automobile is a favorite, and I am always looking for similar games.

I agree with Larry, some games give bits and pieces of feel, but it seems fairly unique. One game, that I recently picked up, that reminded me a bit of Automobile, was Vinhos. Probably only because they are both big economic games, with a bit of that risk taking element, considering over-production and over-planting, respectively. Also, very tense decisions from a very finite list of potential actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Locomotive Werks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:

The cake is a lie. So is this. shake

Honestly, I played Locomotive Werks quite a bit when it first came out and, other than the fact that they both have production items on a timeline, in which later versions make the older ones obsolete, I can think of nothing they have in common. If other gamers hadn't brought it up, it never would have occurred to me to compare them. Since several people, including Morgan, have opined that the games are similar, maybe I need to give LW another try to see if I've forgotten anything. But based on my recollections, they're very different games (and I think Automobile is far superior to LW, which we stopped playing because we thought it had some issues).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
sisteray wrote:

The cake is a lie. So is this. :shake:

Honestly, I played Locomotive Werks quite a bit when it first came out and, other than the fact that they both have production items on a timeline, in which later versions make the older ones obsolete, I can think of nothing they have in common. If other gamers hadn't brought it up, it never would have occurred to me to compare them. Since several people, including Morgan, have opined that the games are similar, maybe I need to give LW another try to see if I've forgotten anything. But based on my recollections, they're very different games (and I think Automobile is far superior to LW, which we stopped playing because we thought it had some issues).

as per my comparative review from years gone past: Automobile is completely different because
a) automobile has a lot more chrome and fiddly rules
b) automobile has hidden demand information about the current turn vs
LW's hidden information about the next turn.
c) automobile punishes you for overproduction (vs LW's punishment for underproduction)
d) automobile tends to have fairly flat scoring.
e) Martin Wallace fans love it.

Although, I notice that you wrote almost the same thing back in that other thread too.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
sisteray wrote:

The cake is a lie. So is this. shake

I never said that they were the same game, if Locomotive Werks was good, or if Automobile isn't superior. I'm answering the OP, and I find that both games have some similar qualities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't this game just a beefed-up version of Tinners' Trail? I've played that one and the players I was with said this one just has a few things added with a different theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
Isn't this game just a beefed-up version of Tinners' Trail? I've played that one and the players I was with said this one just has a few things added with a different theme.

No. There are somewhat recognisable Wallace elements but this game is chromey and revolves around technology progression, while the Tinner's Trail is quite simple and elegant and revolves around efficient use of very limited time.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
thedacker wrote:

No. There are somewhat recognisable Wallace elements but this game is chromey and revolves around technology progression, while the Tinner's Trail is quite simple and elegant and revolves around efficient use of very limited time.

B>

Thanks for clearing that up for me Bruce. Maybe they were saying it just felt kind of similar and I misinterpreted them. At any rate, I really enjoyed my game of TT. It offered a lot of interesting decisions with a relatively simple set of rules and a very quick time frame. It will be my next Wallace purchase. If only I could get ahold of the Treefrog edition...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be able to find someone who wanted to "upgrade"