Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've purchased both the base set and the first expansion, and hope to use it at a party I have coming up this week. I've seen videos of gameplay, so I have no issues with the basic concept, but I'm a little fuzzy on the "end game."

The rules say something along the lines of "play until everyone is sick of playing," but that seems a bit anti-climactic. I recognize that most people are just doing it to laugh, and many will be extremely intoxicated, so maybe I just shouldn't worry about it, but since you're winning "awesome points," it seems like you should have at least some sort of point goal (otherwise, why keep points?).

So what do other people do to end the game? If you use the "haiku" rule, how does that work in gameplay? Are any of the other alternative rules considered to be "essential" for play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play: The game ends when you can no longer look at yourself in the mirror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK WADDLE
United States
Austin
texAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My read through said you can play till someone has 7 points?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Pond
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Usually we go for about 5-10 points, depending on the group size and the time we have. If you keep it at a low number you have the possibility to start a new game several times, so everyone gets a fresh set of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
odo1982 wrote:
Usually we go for about 5-10 points, depending on the group size and the time we have. If you keep it at a low number you have the possibility to start a new game several times, so everyone gets a fresh set of cards.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking I'll have between 6-10 people playing, so I'm not sure how unwieldy that will turn out to be (most of the play videos I've seen usually have around 4 players). Maybe I'll do the "each round is 5 points" thing, and try to get through a few rounds... Maybe less if I have more people.

Keep the advice coming! If you play regularly, how does it go? Any advice for a first-time host? Haiku thing, yay or nay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SommerMatt wrote:
Any advice for a first-time host? Haiku thing, yay or nay?

If you don't know the group really well, make sure to emphasize just how messed up this game can be. This game offends everyone and everything. It's brutal. It's hilarious with the right group, but it could be painfully uncomfortable with strangers who may be shocked at the outcome.

Haiku thing... we've done it, and we've not done it. Doesn't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so this looks like it might blow up to quite a large sized gathering.

Trying to think about what to do to make things run smoothly. Should I decrease the # of white cards each person is allowed, or not? Would that make the game better or worse? Should I drop the victory condition down to 5, or even 3? Should I just play until we're sick of it, and then see who has the most points? Is it better to end games early, so people can do a complete refresh of their white cards? If I get something close to 20 people, I'm afraid of going through all the cards too quickly.

GustavMahler wrote:
My read through said you can play till someone has 7 points?

For the record, the instructions that came with the boxed set do NOT say this... there's absolutely nothing mentioned about victory conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kori
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The past few times we have played we have ended by picking up no new white cards then play until you're out. Once the game seems like it's winding down a bit, or if you are just about out of time, call 'final 10 rounds'; 10 because that is how many cards you should have in your hand. It sounds like it would be awful because you have to play the crap left in your hand but it actually ends up being quite hilarious. Most awesome points (black cards) wins! It has become our go-to end game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kori
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SommerMatt wrote:
OK, so this looks like it might blow up to quite a large sized gathering.

Trying to think about what to do to make things run smoothly. Should I decrease the # of white cards each person is allowed, or not? Would that make the game better or worse? Should I drop the victory condition down to 5, or even 3? Should I just play until we're sick of it, and then see who has the most points? Is it better to end games early, so people can do a complete refresh of their white cards? If I get something close to 20 people, I'm afraid of going through all the cards too quickly.

I would have answered this in my other post but I must have missed it. I would not do any less than ten cards. I have played with groups as large as 15ish and I still think ten cards is best. It's the options that keep the game fun and if you take that away, it may not be the same. Plus, there is always the ability to shuffle used cards. Even reading the same black card will produce new answers so it will be a whole new experience each time. If you are running low on black cards just have everyone write down the number they already have and shuffle them back in. That is if you're worried about points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Truthfully, I really don't give much of a crap about points If things go according to plan, we will be somewhat drunk and just looking to laugh... "winning" or "losing" doen't much seem to matter in that sort of a scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kori
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SommerMatt wrote:
Truthfully, I really don't give much of a crap about points If things go according to plan, we will be somewhat drunk and just looking to laugh... "winning" or "losing" doesn't much seem to matter in that sort of a scenario.

Well, we don't really keep track of points either, but we do hold on to the winning black card from each hand and whoever has the most at the end brags for a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rangbacon wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:
Truthfully, I really don't give much of a crap about points If things go according to plan, we will be somewhat drunk and just looking to laugh... "winning" or "losing" doesn't much seem to matter in that sort of a scenario.

Well, we don't really keep track of points either, but we do hold on to the winning black card from each hand and whoever has the most at the end brags for a bit.

Yep. I've played it twice now, and that's pretty much just what we did.

The sad thing is that I'm already hitting the "this isn't as funny as it was the first time" problem-- the first night, I had around 8 people, and it was the funniest thing any of us had ever experienced. A week later, a group of six... half who played the first time, and half who were new. It was still fun, but I got a lot of "we had that one before!" from the "veterans." I'm debating whether to let it rest for a month or two, or if I should bring it out again the next time we get together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regards,
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually a bit annoyed that the game doesn't come with set winning conditions, because even if no one is getting tired of the game, I like having a set of "brackets" to enclose each round and mark the start and end of each game. It allows new players to join without starting from behind, it allows players who are still playing to leave without conceding or cutting short a potential win, and it gives everyone a brand new hand of cards to enjoy between every game.

That said, I actually came across this thread while trying to Google for Cards Against Humanity winning conditions. I don't own a set, and I was looking for the official rules... but in the absence of anything official (besides the somewhat unpredictable Haiku Rule), I'd actually like to make a suggestion:

Since CAH basically uses the exact same play format as Apples to Apples, it should be perfectly serviceable to use Apples to Apples' winning conditions as a way of keeping games at very roughly the same length. Those winning conditions would be:

For 4 players, 8 points win.
For 5 players, 7 points win.
For 6 players, 6 points win.
For 7 players, 5 points win.
For 8+ players, 4 points win.

If you keep games of CAH from lasting forever, players will have more chances to win and more chances to dump their cards, which should reduce the chances that they'll be left cursing a bad draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.