Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Board Game Design Software or Website? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Vasington
msg tools
I'm trying to design my very first board game. So far everything has went well in coming up with how the game will play, but I have realized I may come up with a problem in creating nice cards, pieces,and a board. Is there any suggestions for how I should go about doing this or is there some sort of software or website I could use? I am trying to remain fairly low-budget but any advice would be greatly apprecieated. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use whatever you have on hand and with which you are familiar.

If your goal is to make a game you and your friends can play, clip art and simple text should be good enough. If you goal is to have the game published, the publisher will use their own artists and designers to produce the published version, so any time you put into making it pretty will be useless in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GIMP is free and does alot of the tasks needed that costly software does. Also good ol MS Paint works just fine for basics as long as you arent wanting something super fancy.

Bottom line is it depends greatly on what all you want and what you intend for the finished product? Is it to be just for friends? Or is it to be released as a free PNP? Prototype to show to companies? etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Creating the art and graphic design?
Use whatever graphcs program you want, like MS Paint, GIMP, Paint.Net, Photoshop, Illustrator, Blender... whatever.

Turning everything into actual physical bits and pieces?
You can go all do-it-yourself, print stuff at Staples, cut it out by hand, glue it together.

Or you can use a printing company like SuperiorPOD, ArtsCow or TheGameCrafter to print the parts for you.

This is all good if you're making 1-2 copies for yourself. For something large scale meant to go in stores... well, there's nothing cheap about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John - how many play tests do you have under your belt with this game?

----------------------------

I don't know how many people are like me, but I really like my games to have nice looks. I often get distracted by this way too early in the development of the game. Definitely get your ruleset and components down as much as possible before you invest time in "pretty"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.