Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,

Earlier I posted about wanting to try using Advanced Heroquest pieces for a board, so I gave it a shot over the weekend...and it came out interesting. (This method can be used with Advanced Heroquest, Descent, Doom, or any other game that can piece together a dungeon)

The game still retains the run and gun feel to take out the generators, but the roles of the heroes become more tactical, and luring enemies becomes necessary to survive. I've uploaded a pic of the board right after the first spawn before the action started. Here is the shot:

What is off screen to the left is one single tile from SDE. This is used for the boss battle. The rest takes place in the halls to give a truer Gauntlet feel. (Note: I used Heroquest decorations for it to make it look nicer. I will discuss those too). Here is how I played the changes from the main game and it worked well:

- First off, I will get the most shocking out of the way. The Loot Meter should stay but the Power Meter must go! This is actually a benefit to the Consul more than the heroes. Instead of boss spawning as damage is dealt, boss spawning will happen after all generators are destroyed. This will prevent the Consul from gaining additional spawn points per round...but don't worry. Spawning is easy in this version.

- The Run option can not be house ruled out. It will come in very handy for the heroes to lure and get to generators. (That game I had to make a full circle around the map before getting to a generator I could take out)

- Treasure chests and generators should be in separate rooms. With hall congestion this will give the heroes a better chance of getting the chests. Plus it will put them in risk of being caught in a room.

- Monsters and heroes can freely go in and out of rooms, to trap or use as shorcuts. When possible place multiple doors and connect them to other rooms to give more of a maze feel.

- It is recommended to leave the min-boss out. Trust me, it is already enough of a pain to take out the generators. It took me almost 2 1/2 hours to take out 3 of them. Plus, the Consul will find they might not be able to spawn every round because all their pieces are on the board. This will make it too easy to keep respawning the mini-boss....who will clog the corridors.

- Walls and furniture affect special effects. They can and will block area effects to an extent. This should be left to the house to decide, but walls will block all area effects, furniture may block but not in all cases. For example, a table may not affect a burst attack, but will affect how a target is affected by push. Furniture can be destroyed at the decision of the house....I didn't try it that way, but I would assume a bookcase doesn't like the Ember Mage's Fire Wave attack too much. Doors however, are assumed to be open, will not block affects. So they may still travel into the room but only from the direction they are traveling. (e.g. a target is south of a door and casts a burst 3 effect. That burst will travel more like a wave affect north if it reaches an open door into the room or passage)

- When the last generator is destroyed, than the heroes are teleported out of the dungeon, regardless of monsters left, and to the lone SDE tile to battle the boss (a la Legend of Zelda style). The doors will lock and close and all play will now be on that tile only. Timeout is optional....I didn't use it because of the size of the room, but discuss it with the group first.

Other than that all rules should stay in place. Let me know how it goes for others or if anything else should be added.

Here is one more shot towards the beginning of the game when halls were just starting to block up. As you can see, going back is not a very safe option, since whatever is taken out will simply just respawn next round:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
At first, I would ask why does the Consul bother chasing the Heroes? Why not just set up in a room with a Spawning Point and wait for the Heroes to come to him. It's not as if there are any time limitations for the Consul, he can just wait it out.

The Kobolds and Drakes just run away from the Heroes at the start and wait for them to attack. Once the Heroes appear in the same room as the 17 Denizens and Minions they can mob one Hero at a time, that would seem the best way to take them out. It is also possible that the Heroes will have only collected two or three Treasure cards and two Loot cards (each Spawning Point gets the Heroes one Loot card) at this point so they will be nowhere near full strength.

I know it's not that simple but it seems this set-up takes away the incremental build up which is key to the gameplay of SDE and one of the good points of how the game is played (for me at least).

Actually, taking this further, once the Heroes become aware of this possible ploy (of not attacking the Heroes), they should just knock out two of the three Spawning Points and then purposely leave the third Spawning Point until they have collected every single Loot card they can.

The Heroes can now just keep attacking a few enemy models at a time and use this to gain the Loot cards and later ensure they roll lots of Blue dice to heal themselves. There is nothing the Consul can do to stop them getting all the Loot cards. That's the reason why you need the Power Gauge, to stop this from happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It was actually a lot more balanced than that. That is assuming that the Consul does stay back and wait...and even so that is assuming that they will constantly successfully attack and heal while still not getting mobbed.

However, it would be better for the Consul to send their monsters out to clog the halls, forcing the heroes to slowly progress. Sure they are driving up the amount of loot cards that the heroes earn, but they are also just respawing and clogging again.

It actually worked pretty well, since my Ember Mage bit the dust before any spawn points could be reached, and without the Paladin's healing ability, the other two would have been toast. There were multiple times that one if not both characters were 1 point away from death.

It does change the feel and flow of the game quite a bit, but to me it felt a little more tense than an average game of SDE. Its not fully SDE, but more like SDE Heroquest in a way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.