Popular Tags: [View All]
yegods
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a friend has found this game -- looks homemade to me -- and wonders what it is, and what the rules are. Thanks for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Aggravation ??? Perhaps hand-crafted???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzi R
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aggravation for sure. Somewhat like Sorry. My dad was a firefighter in the 50's-70's. Before today's fitness activities, they would spend their time on various projects. I remember bamboo fishing poles and this game, Aggravation. My sister still has one of the boards.

We played with the "backwards 4" rule: if you rolled a 4, you moved a marble backwards instead of forwards. With great luck, it happened when you could skip going around the board and be ready to enter the end spaces, i.e. "safe at home."

I can remember the rules if anyone wants them. Pretty simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a game called Wahoo. Here's another picture of one:

Aggravation is a simplified version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yegods
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the quick replies! My friend will be happy to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Heinikel
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded an iPad game called Ludo. It looks identical to that. Not sure of the origins, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludo and related games (e.g. Parcheesi, Sorry!, Frustration etc) are all descended from an ancient Indian game called 'Chaupar', which probably originates BC. In the 16th century, Emperor Akbar 1 of India played this game in courtyards specially laid with marble squares, using slave girls dressed in appropriate colours as pieces! 'Pachisi' is an early Indian, slightly simplified, derivative of this game, and almost certainly the direct ancestor in turn of the Western derivatives. This board is certainly a member of that family - though from the six-sided die I'd guess one of the Western variations, as the original 'Chaupar' was played with long wooden dice, and Pachisi with six cowrie shells. (Also modern Indian Pachisi boards tend to be made of cloth!) If it is homemade, have a look for some kind of loop or similar, which could be used to hang it on a wall, which might suggest a naval origin - apparently this family of games has (or had) some following in the Royal Navy and Merchant Navy, in which it is known as Ucca. Sorry, that was quite long, and for many people probably quite boring!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.