Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I brought my copy of CC:N to the game day in hopes that someone would let me teach them to play. I got my wish when a boy who couldn't have been more than fourteen offered to learn the game -- his parents had dropped him off at the event and he needed something to do.

I chose the Waterloo scenario and offered him the French, fully realizing that in all likelihood I would lose. We did the setup together (my using the time to teach him about terrain and units) and sooner than last time I played a physical game we were ready to go.

When cards started being slung, it became obvious I was in trouble. For one thing he had utterly seized the initiative and could not have it taken from him. For another he got some really good rolls and my attempts to counter his moves were limited. I won't go into the details of what he did except to say that he played mainly on the flanks, driving for the two towns that gave a banner each and pretty much rolling over everything I put in his way.

I ended up not getting a single banner, because I could not make him pay for his audacity the way I would have preferred to. It only took him about an hour and fifteen minutes to claim his eighth banner.

Nonetheless, despite what many could thing of as utter humiliation, it was a good result. I got to teach the game, always a good thing. Hopefully I turned the guy on to history a little bit as well. He's probably wondering how Napoleon lost as we speak...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
I brought my copy of CC:N to the game day in hopes that someone would let me teach them to play. I got my wish when a boy who couldn't have been more than fourteen offered to learn the game -- his parents had dropped him off at the event and he needed something to do.

I chose the Waterloo scenario and offered him the French, fully realizing that in all likelihood I would lose. We did the setup together (my using the time to teach him about terrain and units) and sooner than last time I played a physical game we were ready to go.

When cards started being slung, it became obvious I was in trouble. For one thing he had utterly seized the initiative and could not have it taken from him. For another he got some really good rolls and my attempts to counter his moves were limited. I won't go into the details of what he did except to say that he played mainly on the flanks, driving for the two towns that gave a banner each and pretty much rolling over everything I put in his way.

I ended up not getting a single banner, because I could not make him pay for his audacity the way I would have preferred to. It only took him about an hour and fifteen minutes to claim his eighth banner.

Nonetheless, despite what many could thing of as utter humiliation, it was a good result. I got to teach the game, always a good thing. Hopefully I turned the guy on to history a little bit as well. He's probably wondering how Napoleon lost as we speak...

Don't feel bad, my 14 year old son has defeated me in this game numerous times....and rarely did he need an hour and 15 minutes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PKDuke wrote:
Don't feel bad, my 14 year old son has defeated me in this game numerous times....and rarely did he need an hour and 15 minutes!

Part of the time expenditure was me teaching him the rules, so it didn't really take all THAT long. My cardplay was also a problem -- I rarely had the specific cards I needed to do more than react to his advances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United Kingdom
Irthlingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
Hopefully I turned the guy on to history a little bit as well. He's probably wondering how Napoleon lost as we speak...

If he seemed to be having fun while you did it then it is very likely. Rather than wondering how Napoleon lost he is probably wondering how Wellington won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.