Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm back! Miss mecool?

Like Dr. Memnar, Kassina is a one-trick pony who nevertheless boasts a very good trick. In her human form she's mostly subpar, with Red Armor, Red Damage, Green Point, Green Stealth, Yellow Wits and everything else Blue. She does, however, have a welcome seven Health.

Her sole special power is her ability sacrifice an equipment card during her Free Action to transform into her dragon form until her following Free Action phase. The dragon has eight Movement, flight, Yellow Melee, Green Point, White Armor, White Strength, Yellow Wits and a massive five Green Damage. She cannot use equipment in her dragon form, but has a natural Point fire-breathing ability with Opfire 1, Range 3, 3 Red Damage and Area effect.

The dragon is arguably the game's best beatstick and should be treated as such. Use her to eat and char as many enemy characters as possible, as soon as you can. The major hurdle you must clear to accomplish this goal is getting Kassina the cards she needs to remain in her dragon form.

First, check your team and see if anyone starts with cards and has the ability to trade them away. Unless those cards are valuable mounts or ranged weapons, make an effort to get this character to Kassina and equip her ASAP.

Also, if you have someone with Yellow Point or above for future challenges, I would recommend putting down the Ruins of Cany XII and sending that character to pass the first challenge. Once he's done so Kassina can follow up by raiding the Outpost, which not only gains her two cards and a free Dismissal, but also puts two more cards in the Vault. You might then want to send another character to get some cards from your Vault, assuming it's accessible and that there is nothing better for that characer to do (i.e. Bog Haunt, Misty Corona, etc.).

I almost always bring Kassina in near the end, since that gives the rest of my team time to pass the first Cany XII challenge, time to acquire cards through challenges that they can bestow upon the Dragon Queen, and you'll also presumably have a safe zone established where she won't be in much danger. There is no better time for your opponent to assassinate Kassina then when she first shows up on the map, since she'll be completely befret of the cards she requires to defend herself.

Once the dragon descends on her prey, remember to breath fire on anyone who survives to flee. Don't hesitate to engage other beatsticks, just make sure you have a sufficient supply of cards on hand. The last thing you want is to run out while you're still locked in mortal combat. Say, that reminds me of a story . . .

Kassina had two cards and the Dragon Queen sacrificed one so she could pounce on the Tall Tale. That's right, we had the equivalent of "You know Paul Bunyan took on a dragon once!" occur in our game. And as you might expect from the conventions of such a tale, Iron Pole was prepared, blasting the attacking giant lizard with his Big Black Bombs! Kassina ripped a big chunk out of Iron Pole, putting him in so much pain that he actually missed her with his mighty Rail Hammer! He knew better to flee, though, and next round the Tall Tale dealt her a terrible blow while she failed to close her jaws around him. Now both legendary combatants were down to three life or less; they would almost certainly die together if Kassina gave up her last card to continue the fight. Yet she could not flee without being blasted to bits.

Abruptly Kassina shrank and dwindled back to her human form. She lifted her final item in her left hand and with her right hand triggered the Renewal Cube, escaping and fully healing herself at the same time!

Iron Pole had Gregory as a teammate and soon he too was healed back to full life! The stage was set for an epic rematch, but it turned out to be a disappointing reunion indeed. Iron Pole traded away his Big Black Bombs before Kassina caught up with him again and she was able to best him with little difficulty, setting fire to him when he tried to run.

I should point out that the dragon's terrible Black Stealth and Red React make it imperative to use her as early in the game as you can. Once the other team starts getting cards even the White Armor Dragon is likely to be in grave danger, as illustrated by the incident detailed above. I remember one time she was flying up onto a Mesa to make a meal out of Boris Andronov and he literally blew her mind with a Defensive Frag Grenade. Conversely, the only time the Showstopper was used on her it did nothing more than polish her scales until they gleamed.

Unfortunately Kassina's dragon form seems to suffer from massive incompetence in most of our games, often failing to hit in melee. There was even one time when, already sorely wounded, she killed Sergeant Gritt and he killed her back with his bare hands (I assume he stuck in her throat, choking her on the way down).

Kassina is far from the best character to give a mount to, since she's not primarily an adventurer and is already an eight Movement flier in her beatstick form. Placing Sentinels is mostly a waste of her valuable killing time and she should never be in a position where she has to rely on a melee weapon for protection. Pets, on the other hand, can sometimes be a lifesaver for the Dragon Queen and with her Green Point she could do well with a Pistol for self-defense. Armor I generally wouldn't give to her. Kassina's Yellow Wits enable her to use all the really cool gadgets, such as the Repulsor, the Dazzling Crown, the Holo Twin, etc. Keep in mind,however, that any card you give to Kassina might well have to be used to fuel her transformation. For that reason among the best cards to give Kassina are those which enable her to carry more cards. Not only does this give her room for some useful cards along with her transformation fodder, it potentially allow her to spend more time as a dragon if you give her nothing but expendable cards. Lastly this card too can eventually be used to trigger the transformation.

If it gets to the point where using Kassina as a beatstick is only going to get her blown out of the sky, you might want to switch her over to adventuring. As an Honorable and Respected Ancient character, she does a great job with the Field of Honor's two toughest challenges and is also pretty good at the first few squares of the Lith Alliance. Though it seems a vast underuse of her draconic potential, in her four-legged form Kassina also gives excellent odds of passing the Tower of Maneuver challenge. You never know, there might be a time when that will be worth it.

Remember, with Kassina you want to strike hard, strike fast, and leave as few survivors as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Mallen
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solan wrote:
I'm back! Miss mecool?

yep--your analyses are always appreciated and DOA forums too quiet as of lately--thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your return has not gone unnoticed nor unappreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys! It's nice to be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'Ol Red River Roy reads them all. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.