Subject: First Game overview rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Lutz
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
So we had our first game tonight. 6 of us. Base game, no expansions.

We got through 3 turns after almost 5 hours of play. Is that bad?

We all had fun but decided we should start the game sooner in the day so as not to get sleepy and grumpy.

I did have to consult the instructions quite a bit even though I was the most educated about the game, having read up on it days in advance. Mostly movement questions.

We have a game 2 scheduled in about a week from now, so hopefully it will go a lot smoother.

I might edit this with more questions but damn I'm tired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds right for your first game with 6 players that havent played before. I played a game this past weekend that went for roughly 5 hours with 6 players, 3 of which hadn't played before. It will get faster with every play, and better. Also always start as close to before noon as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Garcia
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first one this weekend too. Five of us with a lot of the expansion elements. There were two experienced players and three total newbs. I think we probably got through 7 or so rounds in about 10 hrs. so your experience seems about the same. We ended up calling it since the winner was apparent and it was getting late.

We all had fun too and I think the game has a lot of potential, but will wait until at least one more game to decide if it's great. There is a lot of downtime and you need someone paying attention as to whose turn it is since it can get confusing. Also, Analysis Paralysis can make a long game even longer, so I would almost advocate the use of a turn time limit or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a first game, you should have allocated at least 2hrs per player as it can take a while before all the mechanics in TI start to sink in. We play fairly regularly (for TI anyway, about once a month) and we're getting close to 1hr per player.

It's a truly day-long game, even with six veterans, and I hope your next game goes smoother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We usually plan for a playing time of about 10-12 hours for one game. Good games should not be played in a hurry. We want to play the game with most options. My guess is that those that play the game in 5 hours are not playing with all the options and probably not with domain counters and maybe with a preset map or quick start. We often play with a 4:th ring, but lately players in our group wanted a tighter galaxy with only 3 rings to have a better reach to there opponents. Personally I like the 4:th ring better. In the middle of the game we usually take a lunch break for about 1 hour. For us the game plays equally fast with 5,6,7 and 8 player. But I would not play with more than 6 in the first game, my recommendation is to play with 5 players the first time, that way there is not to few players and not crowded like a game with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can finish a TLW game to [14] VP's in 6 game rounds, with 5 players, in 7-8 hours, playing with the majority of the expansion add-ons. Pre-Set maps definitely help, but the most important thing is a 3 minute time limit for the active player to make their decision (not to complete the action, like a battle), but to lay down a command counter, activate their Strategy Card, or commit to an action card play. We do use Artifacts, Preliminary Objectives and VoC, which definitely helps to increase scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Lutz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well that makes me feel better about it, knowing our first time was not overly long. I felt like I did a good job of describing the rules, most of which did not sink in until the end for most of the players.

I'm going to definitely look over the manual again. All of the supplemental PDFs on this site were great as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Lutz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
question: during the status phase, when we remove command counters, does the pool on our race sheet go back to the initial 2 strategy allocations, 3 fleet supply, and 3 command counters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
TylerDLutz wrote:
question: during the status phase, when we remove command counters, does the pool on our race sheet go back to the initial 2 strategy allocations, 3 fleet supply, and 3 command counters?

No, the pool remains whatever it was at the end of the round. The Counters you remove from the board go back to your "reinforcements" - the pile of counters that aren't on your race sheet yet.

After getting your Action Card, you then get 2 more Command Counters that you can put anywhere on your sheet. Finally, you can then rearrange the Command Counters on your sheet however you like between the 3 sections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
could you tell me what the biggest holdup was with your group? i just got this, i am aware it takes a while to play this, but 5 hrs for three rounds seems excessive, even for beginners. i played a three player teaching game recently, and we got through three rounds in an hour. granted, we started with a preset universe, but that cant account for the time difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
borgfather wrote:
could you tell me what the biggest holdup was with your group? i just got this, i am aware it takes a while to play this, but 5 hrs for three rounds seems excessive, even for beginners.

Obviously every group is different, but for the group I used to play this with a lot, the bottle in the top-left corner was a MAJOR reason for delays in the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
sigmazero13 wrote:
Obviously every group is different, but for the group I used to play this with a lot, the bottle in the top-left corner was a MAJOR reason for delays in the game

yes, bottles. i know them well.

OliverOil wrote:
... Also always start as close to before noon as possible.

wouldnt that be noon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
borgfather wrote:
could you tell me what the biggest holdup was with your group? i just got this, i am aware it takes a while to play this, but 5 hrs for three rounds seems excessive, even for beginners.

Indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
borgfather wrote:
could you tell me what the biggest holdup was with your group? i just got this, i am aware it takes a while to play this, but 5 hrs for three rounds seems excessive, even for beginners. i played a three player teaching game recently, and we got through three rounds in an hour. granted, we started with a preset universe, but that cant account for the time difference.

An hour and a half per game round, if you have 6 players, is actually not far off from what I would consider to be "average" in length of time per game round. At 3 minutes per action, with 3-4 actions per player per round, this roughly equates to 72 minutes per game round (this is the "high" end at 4 actions per player per game round), so 1.5 hours/game round is not that far off (IMHO). Most of our games end at 6 game rounds, which, with 6 players or more, can certainly take 9 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott youve hit it on the head. Its all about how long people take to make a decision. In the game i mentioned I was one of the vets and i was very quick and also made sure to politely push the others either with advice or a little prodding. We finished fast mainly because i shot out to an early lead and started taking bureaucracy until i hit the game over card. This startegy card can make any game much shorter. Also we did not use the distant suns but also didnt use preset maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Lutz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
borgfather wrote:

Since we are all really good friends our main hold up was laughter which made it a lot harder to explain the rules and have them take me seriously, which is kinda understandable because a) twilight imperium is A LOT to take in and b) it was my first game as well so I had to pause often to look up rules. As crazy as it sounds to play only 3 rounds in 5 hours, we did have a lot of fun and already scheduled a second play. Plus we're all sci-fi nerds so all the names and descriptions were a lot of fun to read.

As for the status phase/command counter question: so this means some players may have quite a lot more counters than other players?

Also, yes the beer doesn't help but it does calm the nerves when you have to vote on those massive galactic elections
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TylerDLutz wrote:
As for the status phase/command counter question: so this means some players may have quite a lot more counters than other players?

Yes, command counters can be saved up; of course, if you're too stingy with them you might miss out on good secondary actions or strong fleet positioning. Managing your CCs is a big part of the game, as unlike resources gained from planets, they carry over from turn to turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Lutz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hoobajoo wrote:
TylerDLutz wrote:

Yes, command counters can be saved up; of course, if you're too stingy with them you might miss out on good secondary actions or strong fleet positioning. Managing your CCs is a big part of the game, as unlike resources gained from planets, they carry over from turn to turn.

That was a big issue for us. People were screaming that others had more counters and I was fumbling around trying to see if that was accurate or not. CHAOS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.