Gustavo Di Pietro
Italy
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hi to all.
I discovered Saboteur as a 7-8 player games and, fell in love with it, I bought it as a quick and ultra fun filler. During the weekend I proposed it to my girlfriend, my mother and my sister. They all liked it (my mother being and anti-player and my sister a non-player), so I was really satisfied.

Having tried it with a large number of player, though, I was a bit put off by the balance of the game with a smaller number of players.

In the first game, no one picked up the saboteur card, so we basically built our tunnel straight away, nuggets for all and no additional reward for the player who discovered the gold (mommy ).

In the second game (and the third was the same), my fiancée picked up the saboteur card. She was smart enough not to reveal too early, but when it became clear that she was against us, in a single round she had the lamp, the pickaxe and the cart broken and her game Washington basically over. She managed to slow us down a bit more in the final round, but we non-saboteur could reach the gold nonetheless way before the first half of the deck was over.

Any similar experience or how to play with s smaller number of player? I'd love to introduce the game to a couple of friends we use to play with, and it'll still be a four player game.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on my phone so it's a bit hard to search it. But in the Saboteur forums there's a fantastic variant! I use that all the time with Saboteur. It's the selfish dwarf variant. I would recommend that variant for 4 players, we never play without it. We tried the normal way and it wasn't the same. 5 players and above - just use the standard rules.

Basically take 2 good dwarfs with a similar colored jacket, 1 good dwarf with a red jacket - we call that the selfish dwarf, 1 saboteur.

The good dwarves are trying to get to the gold.
The saboteur is trying to stop them.
The selfish dwarf wins only if he is the first to teach the gold, so he tries to help the good dwarves, but also block them a, little so they don't each the gold.

I've played this a tonne of times using this variant and it works.

I haven't tried Saboteur 2, but I heard it works with 4 because of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
merc007 wrote:
I'm on my phone so it's a bit hard to search it. But in the Saboteur forums there's a fantastic variant! I use that all the time with Saboteur. It's the selfish dwarf variant. I would recommend that variant for 4 players, we never play without it. We tried the normal way and it wasn't the same. 5 players and above - just use the standard rules.

Basically take 2 good dwarfs with a similar colored jacket, 1 good dwarf with a red jacket - we call that the selfish dwarf, 1 saboteur.

The good dwarves are trying to get to the gold.
The saboteur is trying to stop them.
The selfish dwarf wins only if he is the first to teach the gold, so he tries to help the good dwarves, but also block them a, little so they don't each the gold.

I've played this a tonne of times using this variant and it works.

I haven't tried Saboteur 2, but I heard it works with 4 because of the rules.

Saboteur works for 4 or even 3 players. The key is for the players to maximize their own score, instead of going along with each others.

Remember, if the green team connect the gold, only the green team gets to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly suggest Saboteur 2. Initially, it will be more confusing because of the new roles and cards but the game does work better than just the base Saboteur. This game is ok with lower amount of players, we frequently play with just 3, but more players is where it shines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Shaffstall
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always play with competitive scoring, so that a dwarf only scores at the end if they do not have any broken tools. This gives loyal dwarfs a reason to break tools.

And toss an extra saboteur card into the mix. You're guaranteed to have at least one, and possibly two. The extra uncertainty spices up the four player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cwikla

Burbank
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've played Saboteur 2 with 4 players and I think it plays great with the extra roles, cards that allow you to force role changes on yourself or others, multiple goals, etc. Of course, I really love the game with a lot of players, bt I was surprised how well it played with just 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.