mbmbmbmbmb
August Osaka Game Day

Date: Sunday, August 5th
Time: 9:30am to 9:30pm
Place: Naniwa-kumin Center
Map: Directions can be found here.
Participation fees: 500yen
Room capacity: 20 people

The August games day is Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) day!

There will of course be plenty of other games going on for anyone not interested in spending hours locked in a struggle to rule the universe! (or something like that, I haven't actually played it myself)

We have a slightly bigger room this time than before so we should be able to get 4 games going at a time (though I have to check on that). Otherwise the set-up will be the same as previous months.

Here is the geeklist link for games....

August 5th Osaka Games day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ibsen
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To those who haven't played before I think reading up on the rules might be a good idea.

Here is a link to the FFG page with the latest rules.
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Price
Japan
Nishinomiya-shi
Hyogo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would also recommend that anybody who is interested in playing and has a little time check out Tom Vassal's overview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTcxQS-S82k
It doesn't cover absolutely every detail, but the pace of the game means that there is plenty of time to explain things during the game as well (provided the experienced players are a)patient and b)not trying to fool you into submission ;) )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there for the whole day. If there are enough players for two games, I volunteer to run one of the games of Twilight Imperium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul canosa
Japan
shizuoka
Shizuoka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wish I could be there

oh and this time I wouldn't quit on you guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donpaulo wrote:
wish I could be there

oh and this time I wouldn't quit on you guys

We're hoping you'll be able to make down again one of these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Junko and I will be there, but I don't know if we'll play Twilight Imperium. It's a bit too long and complicated for her tastes I think. She likes simpler games or games she can practice at home first (Game of Thrones or BSG). Definitely down for some other games though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, at the last game day (in Kobe) someone (maybe Daishi) brought some German stock market game. Not my usual cup of tea (definitely needed more combat), but Junko really liked it. I am starting to suspect she might be a closet Euro gamer, so maybe it would be cool if someone could bring a couple of the more popular ones...preferably something not too English intensive ( she says she gets a headache when she has to read too much English). I don't know what effect this will have on our marriage, but since she always plays the games I want to play, the least I can do is play what she wants to play.

Also, there might not be enough people with everyone playing TI3, but if anyone is up for a game of BSG let me know. Junko has been practicing her Cylon skills and would like to play it. And I want to run a game with the Ionian Nebula option. If there aren't enough people, we'll wait until next month to bring it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Price
Japan
Nishinomiya-shi
Hyogo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well I should point out first that a lot of people have claimed that Eclipse is a Euro game masquerading as ameri-trash. I would love to bring some of my euros that don't get a lot of play time (and don't have a massive language dependency) but unfortunately I'm not sure if any of them will be small enough to fit in. Perhaps Carcassone: The City?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh, if you don't get a chance to play any Euros at the August Game Day, I'll be sure to bring some of mine along to the next event we both attend.

My personal favorites are:Fresco, Agricola, and Belfort

I'm still dying to try Lords of Waterdeep, which I hear is a really fun Euro with a fantasy theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ibsen
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Carcassonne as well and can bring it along, I also (reasonably ) recently picked up Carson City which has yet to make it to a games day. I don't think it has a strong language dependency...

I am sure I have more things that fit the bill, will check the shelves later...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Price
Japan
Nishinomiya-shi
Hyogo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jigmelingpa wrote:
I'm still dying to try Lords of Waterdeep, which I hear is a really fun Euro with a fantasy theme.

I heard about that from a Secret Cabal Podcast and then found it on amazon.co.jp:

Lords of Waterdeep

In English and at a reasonable price. There is a very high chance that I'll buy a copy next month (my gaming budget this month went into Sedition Wars). I would love to try it first though, but probably not at this event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ibsen
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few copies of Lords of Waterdeep in the area, I am sure you will get a chance to play it soon enough!

Check it out at the Book Depository as well LINK They deliver free anywhere in the world and have good deals on Fantasy Flight stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep is good. Perhaps we could get Rob to bring his copy again. Since he won't be playing Twilight Imperium, he might be able to run a game or two. There is a bit of English reading for it though. You have to read some of the quest results, some of the building abilities, and most of the intrigue cards, so I'm not sure it's a good choice for Junko without assistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Price
Japan
Nishinomiya-shi
Hyogo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to it!

I've checked thebookdepository, but they often run out of stock. For FFG http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/ is pretty good. They frequently send out big discounts and have free worldwide delivery. They wont post a lot of their GW stuff to Japan though.

One other note - does anybody know if Ryan is coming? He has my copy of TI3 at the moment so if he can't make it I'll have to organize a dropoff soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll have to double-check with him, but I'm pretty sure he'll be in London for the Olympic games at the beginning of August.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Price
Japan
Nishinomiya-shi
Hyogo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In that case I'll try to grab it before hand.

Ryan if you're out there I'll try to get in touch with you soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ibsen
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
townleyst wrote:
In that case I'll try to grab it before hand.

Ryan if you're out there I'll try to get in touch with you soon!

Ryan is definitely away then, in fact they leave quite soon so best get in touch sharpish!

If you need a place to store the box it could be kept at mine easily enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ibsen
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
townleyst wrote:

I've checked thebookdepository, but they often run out of stock. For FFG http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/ is pretty good. They frequently send out big discounts and have free worldwide delivery. They wont post a lot of their GW stuff to Japan though.

I check them as well but I find the prices are usually higher then BD (except when they have offers on) and they don't seem to have Lords of Waterdeep in stock at the moment...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep and Eclipse both sound interesting. Any other games you guys can suggest would be cool too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob C
Japan
Osaka-shi
Osaka-fu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to bring Lords of Waterdeep (and Conquest of Nerath) along again. I'll add them to the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kohei Nomura
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read through the Japanese translated rule. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/13757/ti3rulejp-txt And I'll skim the English rule by the game day.

I'm happy to join renowned TI3 game. It has been on my want to play list for long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kohei wrote:
I've read through the Japanese translated rule. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/13757/ti3rulejp-txt And I'll skim the English rule by the game day.

I'm happy to join renowned TI3 game. It has been on my want to play list for long time.

Prepare to have an epic experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Price
Japan
Nishinomiya-shi
Hyogo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kohei wrote:
I've read through the Japanese translated rule.:) http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/13757/ti3rulejp-txt And I'll skim the English rule by the game day.

I'm sure you'll find it is an epic experience. I hope you really enjoy it!

I probably wont be able to make it at 9:30am so I'll be a little late. That's ok - I'm looking forward to giving Eclipse a go if the TI3 games are already underway. Keith will be bringing my copy of TI3 which has the first expansion with it. I do have the second expansion, but I don't think I'll be able to get it there in time to set up the game with it.

Have people settled on which expansions / rules to use this time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ibsen
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the game and will indeed bring it on the day. I have no idea about versions, expansions and so on. That will have to be something that the more experienced players work out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.