Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
We played our first multiplayer free for all yesterday, and the comments were that this was a fantastic game! Everyone wanted to play it again.

The only question that arose was, we were wondering for a multiplayer game, what's the best way to keep track of the health? Do you use tokens? gems? or some other way to keep track of the health? Our little triangle tokens kept falling off the board

One of those health dials that they use for King of Tokyo would be awesome. Or maybe a health track board? Ooh, maybe I should use a 20 sided dice

Creative thoughts & suggestions welcome I was thinking ooh a mini comp, but since I'm saving up for my wedding robot... how about I tip 5bag for each unique creative idea that hasn't been mentioned yet (Until I start to run out of bag)

Let the creativity flow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Martin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Mwa ha ha ha ha
mbmbmbmbmb
Pocky (life's answer to everything). You each start with a pack of Pocky. everytime an opponent deals damage they get to eat one of the Pocky sticks from their victim.

Of course this doesn't work so well if characters can regenerate health. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Wong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a World of Warcraft Trading Card Game player and it needs lots of counters as even the creatures (allies) would carry on damage.
The most useful way to track 1vs1 match would be to use a playmat with pre-print life counter at the sideway. It's very handy.
Otherwise, we use lots of 6-sided dice and adding the damage. Though it seems more clumsy compared with single (total 4) D-20, it's actually stabler and easier to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
TMVM wrote:
Pocky (life's answer to everything). You each start with a pack of Pocky. everytime an opponent deals damage they get to eat one of the Pocky sticks from their victim.

Of course this doesn't work so well if characters can regenerate health. gulp

Yes, I should have thought of Pocky...I forgot to bring some to game day...
What if players cheat and grab another bag of Pocky hehehe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, i particularly enjoy using Large Steel d20 for that. But that's just me. They're pretty stable and pretty cool...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Other BattleCon cards. Give each 8 cards that are not in use. Each player lays out 4 cards face down and vertical. Vertical cards (V) represent 5 life each. Horizontal cards (H) represent 1 life each. As players take damage/heal, they add or remove or spin cards to match their life total. So a player with 18 life would have:

VVVHHH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Martin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Mwa ha ha ha ha
mbmbmbmbmb
What would be pretty sweet would be if you could make a sliding bar that looked like the health bar from a Video game fighter. Everytime you took damage you would slide it further into the red until you die. Thematically cool but some assembly required. How are you at arts and craft?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TMVM wrote:
What would be pretty sweet would be if you could make a sliding bar that looked like the health bar from a Video game fighter. Everytime you took damage you would slide it further into the red until you die. Thematically cool but some assembly required. How are you at arts and craft?

This I could do. I'm an elementary school teacher by trade, so I'm used to constructing stuff like this. Nice idea. I'll think about it and give it a go. I know exactly how to make this. I made one for another game, and I make bigger sized props that use this technique. When I make it I'll out up the file and pics.
Keep those ideas coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently my phone wanted to tip Nate twice. Hehe Because I tried to tip TMVM before the page refreshed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Martin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Mwa ha ha ha ha
mbmbmbmbmb
merc007 wrote:
TMVM wrote:

This I could do. I'm an elementary school teacher by trade, so I'm used to constructing stuff like this. Nice idea. I'll think about it and give it a go. I know exactly how to make this. I made one for another game, and I make bigger sized props that use this technique. When I make it I'll out up the file and pics.
Keep those ideas coming.

I'll look forward to your creation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
merc007 wrote:
Apparently my phone wanted to tip Nate twice. Hehe Because I tried to tip TMVM before the page refreshed.

I was wondering about that! You can have the mistaken tip back
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the range of health (0-xx)?

Include any ability to go 'over starting value...

In what increments can it depleted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

Off hand, I can't think of any characters that can exceed the starting health--possibly Magdelina? So a normal game will include a range of health of 0-20. With Ex and Almighty characters (an advanced game option) I believe health can go all the way to 40.

Quote:

Anywhere from 1 to... I think certain characters can hit for 16 under the right circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

Include any ability to go 'over starting value...

Health starts at 20.
"Boss mode" games, the boss starts at 30 or 40.
There is no overhealing.
It is depleted in increments of 1, though any given hit can do from zero to 16 damage.

An ideal counter will simply go from 1 to 20. Bosses needing more than 20 can just use 2 counters together
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aitor
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TMVM wrote:

You could place 20 yellow cubes (per player) aligned on a purple-colored scoring track. As the character loses life, cubes are removed, and the life bar shrinks.

For EX bosses, you could use "multi-colored sliding bars", placing 10 or 20 addicional green cubes on top of the yellow ones. First you remove the green cubes, then the yellow ones.

This is an example of a game using cubes to mimic an energy bar:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Martin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Mwa ha ha ha ha
mbmbmbmbmb
Hollyhock wrote:
TMVM wrote:

You could place 20 yellow cubes (per player) aligned on a purple-colored scoring track. As the character loses life, cubes are removed, and the life bar shrinks.

For EX bosses, you could use "multi-colored sliding bars", placing 10 or 20 addicional green cubes on top of the yellow ones. First you remove the green cubes, then the yellow ones.

This is an example of a game using cubes to mimic an energy bar:

Ooo nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh the cube tracker is hot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Holm
United States
Rio Rancho
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d8 are pretty stable. Each player can use 3d8, the sum of which is the current life total. If a player gets down to that last d8, it's finishing move danger time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a pretty avid MtG player, spindown life die are the way I run it. You could also steal some parts from a copy of Wiz-War (eighth edition) or make something analogous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.