Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Sleeves for Dominion Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wayne Eckman
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I wanted to see what your opinions are about using sleeves for your dominion cards. Do you prefer to play the game with "unsleeved" cards or do you use the Mayday Euro Sleeves (59 mm X 92 mm) or the Mayday Sleeves (63.5 mm X 88 mm - approximately 2 1/2 inches X 3 1/2 inches)? Or, do you prefer a different type or brand of sleeves?

If you use the sleeves, do you prefer the premium sleeves or the thinner standard sleeves? With all the options available, I would like to know what the "dominion world" thinks about "sleeving" your dominion cards. I look forward to your responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
wayneeckman wrote:
I wanted to see what your opinions are about using sleeves for your dominion cards. Do you prefer to play the game with "unsleeved" cards or do you use the Mayday Euro Sleeves (59 mm X 92 mm) or the Mayday Sleeves (63.5 mm X 88 mm - approximately 2 1/2 inches X 3 1/2 inches)? Or, do you prefer a different type or brand of sleeves?

If you use the sleeves, do you prefer the premium sleeves or the thinner standard sleeves? With all the options available, I would like to know what the "dominion world" thinks about "sleeving" your dominion cards. I look forward to your responses.

I use Mayday Blue for Dominion (which is the 59x92). I use standard because premium to me is too thick to constantly shuffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
wayneeckman wrote:

I use Mayday Blue for Dominion (which is the 59x92). I use standard because premium to me is too thick to constantly shuffle.

What he said about the sleeves and the Colts, +1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Loftus
United States
Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently had a fantastic experience w Mayday customer service so I highly recommend as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the first and still one of the only games I have sleeved. With the different wearing rates it was crucial.

I am very happy with the results. Shuffling is much easier and my stress level watching my cards slowly return to the Earth has ceased.

I used the cheap Mayday brand and it was a frustrating process. I would plan on a 25% failure rate on "bad" sleeves. Some will be cut, some too big, some too small, some creased. If you get lucky and everything goes well then just use the leftover sleeves for upcoming expansions.

When I resleeve sometime in the future I will strongly consider using premium sleeves.

+1 for the Steelers.

Added: here is a link to my Mayday sleeving experience...
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8760755#8760755
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mau g
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have the base set and so far I have used FFG's Purple sleeves and so far they are pretty durable, I have owned the game for about 3 or 2 months with consistent use (3-4 gaming nights with the wife or/with friends every week for 2-3 hours) and it still looks like new (cards included )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hockey Mask wrote:
I would plan on a 25% failure rate on "bad" sleeves. Some will be cut, some too big, some too small, some creased.

To give an opposing statement: My failure rate is probably less than 2% and I buy a lot of Mayday sleeves in all sizes.

The problem is you are dealing with mm so even a small fluctuation in size can have a dramatic effect. Dominion is easy to check because they come in even sets of 500 or 350 or some other multiple of 10. After I get done sleeving, I see if I am one or two short (and sometime I have an extra 1 or 2). I also set aside anything that doesn't quite fit right - either too tight, too loose, or too short. Keep in mid thought that there are small tolerances on the cards too. So you might have a sleeve that is just a tad too tight and a card that is a tad too wide and it will never work. But you try that sleeve again on a different card and it works. So it isn't all the sleeves fault.

Regardless, keep track of how many don't work. Email Mayday customer service with that amount, and they will get replacements to you quickly. And most times I report an issue of say 10 or so over a dozen packs, they end up sending me a brand new pack. So it more than makes up the difference and keeps you stocked up for future issues.

Just make sure you buy an extra pack (you will need 500 for the base game so buy 6 packs to have them readily on hand). They will replace any bad ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Ossitt
United Kingdom
Leeds
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
wayneeckman wrote:

Same here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are dozens of threads on this already, but here's my opinion anyway. I use the Mayday Euro sleeves (59 x 92) - standard quality (light blue). These run about $2.25 per 100. My experience with them has been mixed. Most packs have been just fine - no defects. A few packs (and NOT all from the same batch) were awful. Like 1/3 to as much as 1/2 not fitting. And by not fitting, I mean the card literally wouldn't fit into the sleeve without bending. Still, for their price, it's the most economical option I've come across, and they hold up pretty well.

A friend of mine uses the Fantasy Flight sleeves. They're much nicer sleeves, in my opinion, but not worth the cost. They're about 3x as expensive, and when you need to sleeve thousands of cards for the whole series, it gets really expensive.

I played the first few games with no sleeves, and it worked fine, but I could definitely see the base cards getting worn out eventually. Of course, they now sell just the base cards, so you could go that route.

If you do go with sleeves, make sure to buy Euro size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:
I would plan on a 25% failure rate on "bad" sleeves. Some will be cut, some too big, some too small, some creased.

To give an opposing statement: My failure rate is probably less than 2% and I buy a lot of Mayday sleeves in all sizes.

This is also my experience - in fact I would say less than 1%.

I have sleeved the whole of Dominion so far - including the new Base Cards - and a few other games (mostly in the Euro size). I have had maybe 2 or 3 that were too tight to go on at all, and a few more that were tight enough to need care putting them on. I also had one batch that were a bit longer than the others but this hasn't caused any problems in practice (no-one else has noticed).

I use the "standard" sleeves, as I don't have a problem with them - and because having a storage solution for the whole of Dominion would be ridiculous with thicker sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 25% estimate was obviously too high for the norm but when I bought earlier this year my failure rate was at 100% when I bought directly from Mayday.

I would still recommend buying more than enough to cover future expansions and "borrow" from those when you have defective sleeves.

I want to reiterate that once I had working sleeves I was happy with the product and cost. Getting there was a headache though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
churchmouse wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:

This is also my experience - in fact I would say less than 1%.

I would agree that this is probably closer to the norm. However, I have had a couple where two sleeves were still welded together and in one extreme example, one pack was completely marked up due to millmarks. So notching it up to 2% in my experience seemed the truer statement.

Not to downplay Hockey Mask's experience, my turnaround time has been less than a week with Mayday direct. But I do buy the sleeves from a third party (Boardgameguy.com) because he always seems to have the lowest prices and he is right down the street from MayDay. So this has been my "insurance" in case MayDay fails to respond, he can get involved directly. But I have never had to go that route.

In fact, he is a fellow BGG member, so I will give him a shout out:

Ryan Bruns
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:

A friend of mine uses the Fantasy Flight sleeves. They're much nicer sleeves, in my opinion, but not worth the cost. They're about 3x as expensive, and when you need to sleeve thousands of cards for the whole series, it gets really expensive.

I vowed not to get involved, as Mayday Sleeves are about the most controversial topic on BGG, but I would point out that for PREMIUM SLeeves, the FF Sleeves are only slightly more expensive. You pay about $2.50 for 50 Mayday, and about $2.79 for FF sleeves.

The Original Poster, should he choose premium sleeves, should choose carefully. I am stuck with one brand of sleeves, which have performed poorly for me, but switching to the other brand will require re-sleeving the entire set, which is going to be nearly as costly as the original games.

So choose carefully and wisely
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elkabong wrote:
cordeiro wrote:

I vowed not to get involved, as Mayday Sleeves are about the most controversial topic on BGG, but I would point out that for PREMIUM SLeeves, the FF Sleeves are only slightly more expensive. You pay about $2.50 for 50 Mayday, and about $2.79 for FF sleeves.

True. They're close in price when comparing premium to premium. In that case, if you know you're buying premium, I'd go with FF hands down.

If you're looking for lowest price, I've seen Mayday standard for $2.00 - $2.25 for 100 vs. FF premium at about $3,00 for 50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that the STANDARD sleeves from Fantasy Flight are the same as the PREMIUM from Mayday. Those are the two I have mixed on my Dominion right now. These have been referred to at FFG Purple in this thread, as they come in the purple packaging.

The PREMIUM sleeves from FFG are Called "Standard European ULTRA PRO", and they are a product that Mayday does not make. They come in a black packaging.

It's a bit confusing for sure, as both companies make two lines, but one makes "Good and Better", and the other makes "Better and Best".

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_searchResults.php?form_sear...

Looks like $2.29 versus $2.49 from CoolstuffInc. Wish we got that pricing up here in Canada.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the problem with the shuffling of the premium sleeves that I am reading about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know that there is a problem. It takes some getting used to.

And you simply CANNOT riffle-shuffle them. If you do, the sleeves will split. Also, big-deck games (like Gardens games) can be almost unshuffle-able if the decks get too big.

ALthough I shield (due to the sheer number of plays my cards get), I enjoy playing with unshielded cards. There were loud cries of "NO CONDOMS ON THE CARDS" when we arrived at the Detroit qualifier, and the cards were just sitting there in all their unshielded glory There is nothing like a bit of unprotected Dominion on a Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
My 25% estimate was obviously too high for the norm but when I bought earlier this year my failure rate was at 100% when I bought directly from Mayday.

I would still recommend buying more than enough to cover future expansions and "borrow" from those when you have defective sleeves.

I want to reiterate that once I had working sleeves I was happy with the product and cost. Getting there was a headache though.

Got to agree with this - using Mayday sleeves was a frustrating farce - out of 6 packets, 3 didn't fit at all. Mayday replaced these with...three more packets of sleeves that did't fit. Looking back I'd say either don't sleeve , try their more expensive sleeves in the hope they are actually fit for purpose or go for FFG sleeves (which will bankrupt you).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Lar
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
I guess I'm one of the exceptions to the issue. I've had Mayday premium sleeves on all my cards from after a couple months of buying all the sets. That's almost 2 years now, of at least a hand full of games per week. I have not had one sleeve that was a problem.

One or 2 of my sleeved Copper have gotten cracks on the leading corner when shuffled, from usage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I use FFG Purple ($2.50/pack of 50) to sleeve everything, and I am very satisfied. I find premium sleeves are more durable and much easier to shuffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whitney Barnes

California
msg tools
Another person using MayDay non-premium sleeves, I never had a problem. Only a handful of sleeves didn't fit well. I think once I ordered a large number of packs for my set and some friends who had sets, most of the time I go to Origins, and buy a bunch of packs there, it's a little cheaper.

But yes, you don't riffle shuffle with sleeves. You do the sideways smoosh (weave), with some overhand. Riffle shuffling doesn't work well when your decks are tiny anyway, and your deck is tiny at the start of every single game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.