Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions about Undefended Hexes... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Hart

Rockford
Michigan
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a game last night. Our first with alien races. Planta had expanded all over the place, but left an opening for a flanked attack (that was undefeated).

After their ships were focused on holding the GCDS, another player attacked the undefended hexes. This is where the questions come...

During combat, their are no defending ships so you progess straight to attacking population. Since Planta is the defender they automatically lose all of their population cubes (racial effect).

1) Since the player lost all of their population cubes shouldn't the influence disc be removed? Then the attacking player "may" influence the hex. It is my understanding that the removal of the Planta influence disc happens irregardless of whether the attacking player decides to influence the hex.

2) How are reputation tiles handled? Technically this was still a battle, but no one had any ships destroyed. The rules state that killing population cubes doesn't earn reputation, but doesn't initiating the battle in that hex grant you 1 draw? What about the defender in this case? Do they also get a draw?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hartm wrote:
We played a game last night. Our first with alien races. Planta had expanded all over the place, but left an opening for a flanked attack (that was undefeated).

After their ships were focused on holding the GCDS, another player attacked the undefended hexes. This is where the questions come...

During combat, their are no defending ships so you progess straight to attacking population. Since Planta is the defender they automatically lose all of their population cubes (racial effect).

1) Since the player lost all of their population cubes shouldn't the influence disc be removed? Then the attacking player "may" influence the hex. It is my understanding that the removal of the Planta influence disc happens irregardless of whether the attacking player decides to influence the hex.

2) How are reputation tiles handled? Technically this was still a battle, but no one had any ships destroyed. The rules state that killing population cubes doesn't earn reputation, but doesn't initiating the battle in that hex grant you 1 draw? What about the defender in this case? Do they also get a draw?



1) Yes, disk is removed. You may place a post-combat influence disk.
2) Battles involve ships, no battle, no draws.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aki Järvi-Eskola
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
...
badge
It's a pad of sticky notes!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hartm wrote:
1) Since the player lost all of their population cubes shouldn't the influence disc be removed? Then the attacking player "may" influence the hex. It is my understanding that the removal of the Planta influence disc happens irregardless of whether the attacking player decides to influence the hex.

This is stated on page 21 of the rules. You are correct: In a hex with no population and an enemy ship, you lose the disc. This is mandatory, and it happens after Attacking population.

Hartm wrote:
2) How are reputation tiles handled? Technically this was still a battle, but no one had any ships destroyed. The rules state that killing population cubes doesn't earn reputation, but doesn't initiating the battle in that hex grant you 1 draw? What about the defender in this case? Do they also get a draw?

Attacking population is not a battle. See page 20 of the rules:
Page 20, Attacking Population wrote:

After all battles have
been resolved
, the remaining Ships may attack
the population in the hex.

Emphasizes mine.

Edit: Ninja'd.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hart

Rockford
Michigan
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hartm wrote:
2) How are reputation tiles handled? Technically this was still a battle, but no one had any ships destroyed. The rules state that killing population cubes doesn't earn reputation, but doesn't initiating the battle in that hex grant you 1 draw? What about the defender in this case? Do they also get a draw?

Attacking population is not a battle. See page 20 of the rules:
Page 20, Attacking Population wrote:

After all battles have
been resolved
, the remaining Ships may attack
the population in the hex.



I missed the "after all battles" this makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. (Planta still would have won....)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to recall seeing a clarification by the designer that anytime there are ships in a hex there is a battle, including a ship moving through an area that only has opponent influence.

May not be the most useful recollection...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aki Järvi-Eskola
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
...
badge
It's a pad of sticky notes!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
I seem to recall seeing a clarification by the designer that anytime there are ships in a hex there is a battle, including a ship moving through an area that only has opponent influence.

May not be the most useful recollection...

I'm sure you're thinking of the diplomacy rules, and what is considered a "traitor worthy offensive gesture". A battle is always between ships.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Northburns wrote:
martimer wrote:
I seem to recall seeing a clarification by the designer that anytime there are ships in a hex there is a battle, including a ship moving through an area that only has opponent influence.

May not be the most useful recollection...

I'm sure you're thinking of the diplomacy rules, and what is considered a "traitor worthy offensive gesture". A battle is always between ships.


This is correct. You move into or through an area with an influence disk of an opponent you get the traitor if you have relationships with them. It takes ships to have a battle.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Northburns wrote:
martimer wrote:
I seem to recall seeing a clarification by the designer that anytime there are ships in a hex there is a battle, including a ship moving through an area that only has opponent influence.

May not be the most useful recollection...

I'm sure you're thinking of the diplomacy rules, and what is considered a "traitor worthy offensive gesture". A battle is always between ships.
You are correct. Sorry for any confusion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.