Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Eminent Domain» Forums » Rules

Subject: Technology Cards: When...? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francesco Del Vivo
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
I write to get info on the use of Technology Cards.
"When can I utilize Technology Cards during my turn?"
Phase Action or Phase Role (to Boost the card that I choose)?
Depending the phase, How should I use?
I'm waiting your news.
Thanks.
Francesco
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Research Cards: When...?
The action on the card is the only option you have as your action, but the symbols can be used to follow roles (so you can play it as a basic card it has a symbol of during roles).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Research Cards: When...?
You can use a Research card as an action during the Action Phase to remove up to two cards in your hand from the game.

If you select Research for your role during your Role Phase you need to be able to boost it enough to pay the Research cost on the technology card you want (bottom left corner of the technology card).

The lowest cost of any technology card is 3, so you would need to boost your Research role at least twice to make it work.

You will also need to have, face up in front of you, the required type and number of planets for that technology card (bottom right corner of the technology card).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Del Vivo
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
Re: Research Cards: When...?
dlhammond wrote:
The action on the card is the only option you have as your action, but the symbols can be used to follow roles (so you can play it as a basic card it has a symbol of during roles).


So,
If I use these cards during the Action Phase, I only use what is written in the text.
If I use it during the Role Phase, I use the symbols and the text (?).
This my doubt.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Research Cards: When...?
francescodv wrote:
dlhammond wrote:
The action on the card is the only option you have as your action, but the symbols can be used to follow roles (so you can play it as a basic card it has a symbol of during roles).


So,
If I use these cards during the Action Phase, I only use what is written in the text.
If I use it during the Role Phase, I use the symbols and the text (?).
This my doubt.

No, during the role phase you only use the symbols in the upper left corner, not the text.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Research Cards: When...?
francescodv wrote:
dlhammond wrote:
The action on the card is the only option you have as your action, but the symbols can be used to follow roles (so you can play it as a basic card it has a symbol of during roles).


So,
If I use these cards during the Action Phase, I only use what is written in the text.
If I use it during the Role Phase, I use the symbols and the text (?).
This my doubt.


If you play the Research card during the Action Phase, you follow the "Action" text - remove up to two cards from your hand from the game.

If you lead/follow the Research role, then you use the "Role" text: each card gives you +1 Research towards paying for a Technology. This is just a reminder that any card with a small Research icon (light bulb) can be used in this way.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Del Vivo
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
Re: Research Cards: When...?
Greyweather wrote:
francescodv wrote:
dlhammond wrote:
The action on the card is the only option you have as your action, but the symbols can be used to follow roles (so you can play it as a basic card it has a symbol of during roles).


So,
If I use these cards during the Action Phase, I only use what is written in the text.
If I use it during the Role Phase, I use the symbols and the text (?).
This my doubt.

No, during the role phase you only use the symbols in the upper left corner, not the text.


Thank you so much.
You have solve my doubt.
Bye.
Francesco.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Research Cards: When...?
Zach,

I believe the OP is mistakenly referring to Technology Cards (the cards that you obtain through the Research role) as "Research cards" rather than the actual Basic Research cards. (Francesco, if I am incorrect, please correct me!) Hence the confusion.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Del Vivo
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
Re: Research Cards: When...?
ryudoowaru wrote:
Zach,

I believe the OP is mistakenly referring to Technology Cards (the cards that you obtain through the Research role) as "Research cards" rather than the actual Basic Research cards. (Francesco, if I am incorrect, please correct me!) Hence the confusion.


Endless excuses all together.
I was referring at Technology Cards.
Then, What answers do I consider?
Sorry.
Francesco
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Research Cards: When...?
The answer is still the same: use the text during the action phase if you want to use it as your action, otherwise use the symbols.

For example, there is an Improved Survey card with a Produce symbol. If you use it during your action phase, you draw three cards and the symbols are irrelevant. If you use it during the role phase, it can boost/follow Survey OR Produce as one symbol.

This general principle is actually true of every card in the game other than permanents (permanents just go on the table in front of you and are always active)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Research Cards: When...?
For example, war path counts as "Attack 2 planets" during the action phase. It counts as 2 warfare symbols during the role phase.

Remember that you can't symbols played on a card in the action phase as symbols for the role phase. For example, if you play "Specialization" as an action, you don't get the 2 trade symbols from it; you can only count ones played from hand during your turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hill
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:
The action on the card is the only option you have as your action, but the symbols can be used to follow roles (so you can play it as a basic card it has a symbol of during roles).


Ah, glad I read this thread before posting: I was going to ask what the symbols on the tech cards in the top-left meant. Just to quickly clarify then:

1.a tech card can be used for its action during the action phase
and
2.a tech card can be used to follow another player by using the symbols in the upper left

so, can you also use an action card with appropriate symbols in the upper left to boost a play during the role turn (as the leader)? i.e. if I choose a warfare role and boost it with a warfare card from my hand, can I also use an action card from my hand to boost as long as it has the warfare symbol in the upper left?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrvectrex wrote:
dlhammond wrote:
The action on the card is the only option you have as your action, but the symbols can be used to follow roles (so you can play it as a basic card it has a symbol of during roles).


Ah, glad I read this thread before posting: I was going to ask what the symbols on the tech cards in the top-left meant. Just to quickly clarify then:

1.a tech card can be used for its action during the action phase
and
2.a tech card can be used to follow another player by using the symbols in the upper left

so, can you also use an action card with appropriate symbols in the upper left to boost a play during the role turn (as the leader)? i.e. if I choose a warfare role and boost it with a warfare card from my hand, can I also use an action card from my hand to boost as long as it has the warfare symbol in the upper left?

Correct on all counts!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hill
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
mrvectrex wrote:
dlhammond wrote:
The action on the card is the only option you have as your action, but the symbols can be used to follow roles (so you can play it as a basic card it has a symbol of during roles).


Ah, glad I read this thread before posting: I was going to ask what the symbols on the tech cards in the top-left meant. Just to quickly clarify then:

1.a tech card can be used for its action during the action phase
and
2.a tech card can be used to follow another player by using the symbols in the upper left

so, can you also use an action card with appropriate symbols in the upper left to boost a play during the role turn (as the leader)? i.e. if I choose a warfare role and boost it with a warfare card from my hand, can I also use an action card from my hand to boost as long as it has the warfare symbol in the upper left?

Correct on all counts!


Thanks for the quick reply Seth - and for a great game
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
SlebRittie wrote:
The answer is still the same: use the text during the action phase if you want to use it as your action, otherwise use the symbols.

For example, there is an Improved Survey card with a Produce symbol. If you use it during your action phase, you draw three cards and the symbols are irrelevant. If you use it during the role phase, it can boost/follow Survey OR Produce as one symbol.

This general principle is actually true of every card in the game other than permanents (permanents just go on the table in front of you and are always active)


OK, this actually just happened to me in a test run... however, the player who is "Following" doesn't actually have a Produce *Role* card in his hand... he just has the Improved Survey with the Produce and Survey symbol, and a Research Role card. So can he still Produce one resource using that Improved Survey card if he Follows with only that card? Or does he need to have a Produce Role card in his hand as well in order to do that?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EDG_ wrote:
SlebRittie wrote:
The answer is still the same: use the text during the action phase if you want to use it as your action, otherwise use the symbols.

For example, there is an Improved Survey card with a Produce symbol. If you use it during your action phase, you draw three cards and the symbols are irrelevant. If you use it during the role phase, it can boost/follow Survey OR Produce as one symbol.

This general principle is actually true of every card in the game other than permanents (permanents just go on the table in front of you and are always active)


OK, this actually just happened to me in a test run... however, the player who is "Following" doesn't actually have a Produce *Role* card in his hand... he just has the Improved Survey with the Produce and Survey symbol, and a Research Role card. So can he still Produce one resource using that Improved Survey card if he Follows with only that card? Or does he need to have a Produce Role card in his hand as well in order to do that?

You follow with symbols, and it is not required that those symbols be on 'standard' role cards.

So yes, you can follow a Produce role with nothing but an Improved Survey (with a Produce symbol), and if you do that then you will produce 1 resource.

Edit: A standard Produce/Trade card just happens to be a card with a Produce symbol on it, so you can also follow by playing those cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.