Popular Tags: [View All]
William Smith
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When an event card has action text such as:

"Choose a Space Marine that has at least 1 Support Token (if able). Discard 1 Support Token from him and 1 Genestealer engaged with him (of your choice)"

Would this apply to Brood Lords? ie., if there was a Brood Lord by himself next to a marine with a support token, would it be allowable to use that support token to eliminate the Brood Lord?

In my most recent game, I wasn't sure, so I played as though it did not apply to Brood Lords. The reason being that I could smell victory on the horizon, and wanted to be sure that if I emerged victorious I would have no doubt that I won legitimately. So I eliminated a regular Genestealer instead. (I did win, by the way .. and it was very satisfying).

Looking at the rules on pg. 24, however, it states "Brood Lord cards are treated exactly like Genestealer cards with the following exceptions", and in the list of exceptions it does not exclude the text on event cards. That makes me suspect that I could have achieved victory earlier.

Other cards, though, like "Choose a swarm of Genestealers. Shuffle all cards from the chosen swarm into the smallest blip pile" I think would clearly not apply to a swarm with a Brood Lord ("Brood Lord cards are never shuffled into the Genestealer deck or into a blip pile"). If there was only one swarm, and it contained a Brood Lord, and this card was drawn, I guess you would just leave the swarm alone and do nothing.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Brood Lord was alone, i.e. not in a swarm with other "normal" Genestealers, then he was indeed a valid target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Brood Lord does count as a genestealer.

The trouble with this card is that it says 'discard' instead of 'slay'. Strictly following the rules, Brood Lords are protected from being slain before regular genestealers in their swarm, but not from being discarded. On the other hand, the victory condition for the lair is to slay both Brood Lords, not slay one and discard the other.

Personally I just treat this card as though it said slay because I think it mixes with the other rules of the game better that way. With that assumption, the Brood Lord can be killed by this event card, but only if there are no regular genestealers in his swarm. This change also means that this event card cannot be used on a swarm under the power field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.