Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elizabeth Freiheit
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently able to get a copy of the base game TI for $40 second hand, so I have set up a game with my game group. Our group has tended to stick to lighter, gateway-like games in the past because there are a few people who prefer to keep it light. However, six of us have successfully played more complicated and longer games occasionally (Kremlin, Civilization), and are willing to tackle this. Most of us have never played anything really "warlike". Our TI game will have 3 men and 3 women (1 couple).

I have scoured this website looking for planning ideas. There is a lot of good advice for newbies, although sometimes it hard to implement (if you don't have the expansions, for example). Here is what I've come up with:

- We are meeting at 2pm and plan to go into the night with it.
- We are starting with a preset board, which I sort of made up out of the preset board on the ff website. However, since I don't have any expansion, I cannot come close to replicating it...
- We have pre-chosen our races. 4 people chose their own, and 2 others just asked me to choose for them. We'll have N'orr, Sol, Mentak, L1Z1X, Hacan, Xxcha.
- Four of us have read the rules. Two of us have walked through the online (3-player) tutorial. We all have copies of files such as "TI in a Nutshell", strategy cards, tech tree". I've asked everyone minimally to watch Tom Vasel's 30 minute introduction so they have a bit of an idea what's going on.
- Lots of extra d10 dice on the table.
- We are playing with the Imperial I card (which I'm not sure I like, but I'll try it once), Age of Empires (where the public objectives are revealed in advance), and I'm going to implement Artifacts (using coins since I don't have the expansions). Also there was a request to allow the Fighter vs War Sun suicide runs (I forgot what that's called).

One of the people in my group says I'm thinking about this way too much, but I just want this to be as successful as possible so people might consider playing it again sometime. I'm sooo curious to know how its going to go.

If anyone has any advice, I would surely like to hear it (for example, a good 6-player newbie preset board with only the base 43 tiles?).

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
Get a tech handout which is better than the one in the rulebook for everyone, its the most important thing in my eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My recommendation is to get everyone to study the rules in advance so that they have an understanding of there own about how the game works. Looking through a video explanation of the games rules is also a plus. For the first game the rules are the hardest and most time consuming thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SookySunky wrote:
I was recently able to get a copy of the base game TI for $40 second hand, so I have set up a game with my game group. Our group has tended to stick to lighter, gateway-like games in the past because there are a few people who prefer to keep it light. However, six of us have successfully played more complicated and longer games occasionally (Kremlin, Civilization), and are willing to tackle this. Most of us have never played anything really "warlike". Our TI game will have 3 men and 3 women (1 couple).

I have scoured this website looking for planning ideas. There is a lot of good advice for newbies, although sometimes it hard to implement (if you don't have the expansions, for example). Here is what I've come up with:

- We are meeting at 2pm and plan to go into the night with it.
- We are starting with a preset board, which I sort of made up out of the preset board on the ff website. However, since I don't have any expansion, I cannot come close to replicating it...
- We have pre-chosen our races. 4 people chose their own, and 2 others just asked me to choose for them. We'll have N'orr, Sol, Mentak, L1Z1X, Hacan, Xxcha.
- Four of us have read the rules. Two of us have walked through the online (3-player) tutorial. We all have copies of files such as "TI in a Nutshell", strategy cards, tech tree". I've asked everyone minimally to watch Tom Vasel's 30 minute introduction so they have a bit of an idea what's going on.
- Lots of extra d10 dice on the table.
- We are playing with the Imperial I card (which I'm not sure I like, but I'll try it once), Age of Empires (where the public objectives are revealed in advance), and I'm going to implement Artifacts (using coins since I don't have the expansions). Also there was a request to allow the Fighter vs War Sun suicide runs (I forgot what that's called).

One of the people in my group says I'm thinking about this way too much, but I just want this to be as successful as possible so people might consider playing it again sometime. I'm sooo curious to know how its going to go.

If anyone has any advice, I would surely like to hear it (for example, a good 6-player newbie preset board with only the base 43 tiles?).

Thanks!

I think you are very well prepared, hand-outs and all! Your group will do just fine. I DO recommend a timer (we use [2] 3-minute egg timers, but there are also 5-minute ones) which would be the time limit for a player to DECIDE their action, not necessarily to execute it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have rules and FAQ open on a laptop for easy, quick searches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Lutz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Have patience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Freiheit
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks much for your comments. The game went very smoothly. People arrived around 2, but I wasn't as set up as I had wanted to be because my kitten had charged out of the house and was staked out under our back deck. It took me 45 minutes to get her out and back in the house. The board was already laid out, but we had to set up the objectives deck, hand out the pieces, etc. I still had to print the handouts: tech tree on one side and strategy cards on the other, but it was really worth having that.

We started about 2:45pm. At about 6, we took a break for barbeque after 3 rounds. About 6:45, we started in again. At about 11, it became clear that one woman (Mentak) would surely win, and we disbanded, satisfied that we had played a full game. We had played 7 rounds. Sol and L1Z1X also did very well, Xxchan in the middle. Norr and Hacan trailed.

I ended up not being organized enough to implement "artifacts", which was too bad. It would have helped the game a lot, as it would have invited more confrontation, and given people alternative paths to victory points.

At first, people tended to take neutral planets and then arm themselves to the teeth, without attacking. (As I mentioned before, we not at all wargame-y.) Finally a few brave souls started attacking in rounds 4-7, and systems started changing hands, and it got more interesting. I think the next time people may take a more active approach. I think the biggest things that helped were: advanced rulebook and tutorial prep, the handouts, and the preset board.

We never used the egg timer, but I did keep a mental eye on the time, and we started to figure out when we could have players overlap turns a bit toward the end. That's a smart rule of thumb, 3 minutes to DECIDE. Once a decision is made, you can often start to overlap with the next player depending on what the action is.

This game would never have gone so smoothly without all the advice and resources I was able to pull of of bgg. I appreciate the encouragement and extra tips in this thread as well. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RoC Commander
msg tools
Sounds awesome for your first game.

If you want a little more "action" on the table, you could also consinder making your self copies of the SE objetiv cards. They a little more war like. I don't have a list at hand, but I'm sure you can find one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SE adds a lot to the game in many, many ways; you don't need it to enjoy the game, but you want it. I think I bought it after my second game and was eternally grateful for the new objectives, strategy cards, artifacts, and new races especially. A worthwile investment.

Glad you liked it! And if I may ask, what kind of barbeque was it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Freiheit
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hoobajoo wrote:
SE adds a lot to the game in many, many ways; you don't need it to enjoy the game, but you want it. I think I bought it after my second game and was eternally grateful for the new objectives, strategy cards, artifacts, and new races especially. A worthwile investment.

Glad you liked it! And if I may ask, what kind of barbeque was it?

Yes, I'm really thinking that the first expansion can enhance things... However, given its unlikely I'll ever play it more than twice a year at best, I hesitate on buying it...Perhaps as we get faster, we can play it more...

We barbequed Angus burgers and salmon burgers on a charcoal grill(yummy). We also barbequed corn in the cob (in their husks soaked in water). What really made it special were all the salads: purple cabbage coleslaw, sweet potato & potato salad, spring green salad, and ambrosia.

We played out on the back deck, until it started raining a bit, then because we had placed the central layout on a big piece of cardboard, we carried the whole thing inside to finish the game. That way we weren't stuck inside the whole time on a Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.