Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edit: I added a list of apps that I like, see below. (search for fealty)

From my experience, if you like boardgames and want to buy a device to play some great boardgames in digital format, there is currently no comparison to buying an iPad (or at least an iOS device). And this includes playing against AI players, online synchronously, and/or online asynchronously.

There are plenty of GREAT apps already out there for iOS. The developers favor iOS and you have PLENTY of great choices. You can go out and even buy an iPad 1 used and be able to play just about any board game app you're interested in. Still, for longevity, I would lean towards getting at least an iPad 2. And of course, nothing wrong with ipad 3 (the new ipad). It will look even nicer on ipad 3.

Note: iOS means the operating system that iphones, ipod touches and iPads use.

I've been keeping an eye out on the android games and boy does it look disappointing. Carcassonne, Catan, and Neuroshima Hex are your best games for Android (all of those went to iOS first). There's also and unofficial Androdominion on Android (there's an unofficial Dominion app as well for ios and Rio Grand claims we'll get Dominion for ios officially still this summer).

New android devices keep coming out with new specs and slightly cheaper pricing models but do yourself a favor and skip Android. The best games are released on iOS first and sometimes never at all for Android. That's because the developers know they can make money on the app store and they also know which hardware is available. Android development is fractured. There are too many devices to program for and most android users are still stuck on the old versions of the Android OS. It's a big mess reminiscent of windows mobile hardware issues from 6+ years ago. Though, if you do decide you have to go android, then get google brand hardware or don't bother. Same thing for Windows mobile. Get microsoft brand hardware or don't bother. Why? Because those pieces of hardware will do their OS justice.

And don't get lured by faster spec wars. It's the old game. What really matters is what OS it runs. If it isn't iOS then I say, don't bother. Buy iOS. Yes, that means buy an Apple device.

And this isn't just for board games. The game support on iOS action, strategy, casual is absolutely fantastic! Developers favor iOS. If you're going to see an app for something, it will likely be on iOS first. Then other platforms second.

And it's not just for games either. But that's the focus of this site and yea, my ipad runs a lot a games.

So, what iOS device to get? For maximum awesome, get ipad 3 AKA "the new ipad" with a data connectivity. But there are all kinds of steps in between. "the new ipad" regular model is just fine too. It just means you get on the internet at home on your wireless router or other places where you have access to wifi. Next step down is ipad 2. Big difference is number of pixels on screen. Ipad 3 shrinks down pixel sizes and has more of them so the end result is apps that support it, look prettier and easier to read. Not all apps add support for it. But it is nice. So ipad 2 can be a great purchase still. Ipad 1 is still a great device but within 1 to 2 years it'll probably be a little
dated. Ipad 2 is a good middle ground.

Further steps down and you're trading screen size for a smaller device like the ipod touch or iphone and missing out on "ipad only" apps. There are a number of apps that only release for ipad because they want to take advantage of screen real estate and feel that their particular app won't be worth it on a smaller screen. But, an ipod touch or an iphone can still play ridiculous amount of awesome apps. Ipad exclusives aren't too common. Usually developers now release an app as "universal" meaning that it will work on ANY iOS device and will specifically take advantage of the ipad size screen. Or sometimes they release it in two form. One for ipad only and one for smaller size screens.

I have an iphone 4 and an ipad 2 (no data connection - wifi only). Some of the apps I have are Caylus, Summoner Wars, Le Havre, Ascension, Catan, Carcassonne, and Kard Combat. That's just a small sampling of some of my favorites.

Go ahead and feel free to post links to your favorite thread of this discussion or a geeklist of boardgames on ios or boardgames on android.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Can you be any more of an iSheep?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh boy...

I'll just sit here on the side in my lawn chair, with a nice glass of iced lemon-tea. This should be interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Chaustowich
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, pretty much my thoughts too.

I thought this might be a "stuff to look for on each platform" topic, but no, it's yet another "If you want to boardgame, by a iOS device, becasue Android is inferior" topic. Which is not exactly cutting edge discussion here.

You should have just skipped mentioning android and went all iOS, because what this site is sorely missing is a section reporting on all the latest boardgaming-related news and apps for the Apple platform.

Oh wait! One already exists. Hmmm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
jrbentley wrote:
Oh boy...

I'll just sit here on the side in my lawn chair, with a nice glass of iced lemon-tea. This should be interesting...

My thoughts exactly.

I really didn't think that the OP needed to bring in the whole "iPad vs Android" debate. He could have stated his case but instead, he assumed the typical iSheep mentality that if a device doesn't come with the Apple logo, it ain't worth having. Case in point......

"New android devices keep coming out with new specs and slightly cheaper pricing models but do yourself a favor and skip Android. The best games are released on iOS first and sometimes never at all for Android. That's because the developers know they can make money on the app store and they also know which hardware is available. Android development is fractured. There are too many devices to program for and most android users are still stuck on the old versions of the Android OS."

"And don't get lured by faster spec wars. It's the old game. What really matters is what OS it runs. If it isn't iOS then I say, don't bother. Buy iOS. Yes, that means buy an Apple device."

Baaaaaaaa. Baaaaaaaa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoC1909 wrote:

Who cares?

These are my observations. I've even got to test some android devices for work first hand. The app support didn't compare.

Also, as far as a boardgamer who wants good board game apps, it's just simply a FACT. There are way more on iOS. As Peter on family guy said "these are facts".

Nothing to really argue about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Marie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
The most beautiful things in nature stay that way because most humans are too lazy to ruin them ...
mbmbmbmbmb
So what you're saying is a) there's currently more board-game apps for iOS, b) an ipad has a bigger screen than an iphone, and c) you're not a fan of any device other than Apple .. OK, got it lol

Just for sh*ts n giggles here's some links: BGG iOS News Page, Board Games for iPad List, & Board Games for iPhone List
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... I was hoping to see a buying guide about what board game apps may or may not be worth a purchase.

Instead, I'm greeted with a screed about why iDevices are better than Androids. The whole post has nothing about board game apps until a few are mentioned at the very bottom of the post. shake Any iOS vs. Android should probably be in an Off Topic Forum.

(Edit 1: Fix an awkward sentence)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And I thought it was going to be a really useful list of boardgames for the IOS.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2097 wrote:

KGS only exists for android.

KGS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nheather wrote:
And I thought it was going to be a really useful list of boardgames for the IOS.

Cheers,

Nigel

Small World
Caylus
Summoner Wars
Hive
Tigris & Euphrates
Le Havre

There - done

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to add that in the phone area you can get the Galaxy Note, Galaxy S III or HTC One X instead.

Why?

Because for board games the iPad is probably much more suitable than the iPhone.

And if you're going to get an iPad for board games because it happen to have the most of them then you aren't losing much abilities from getting an Android phone.

And if you was considering an Android tablet anyhow then the all of the mentioned devices got 720p or better screens so you'll have plenty of resolution even though it's a phone.

This is not my video and he got one telling why the Android device suck to. So there's negatives with both obviously.

It haven't got anything to do with board games and doesn't distract from the fact that the iPad is most definitely the device to get for tablet board games. But it may be an interesting video for those in the iOS camp who want to know more about the competition. I personally think the screen size and resolution make 50% of it, then there's the theme and better application integration into the OS:

Why Android phones suck: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdVmWokQ9QQ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nheather wrote:

Cheers,

Nigel

Well, here's where I get my iOS board game app news.

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogcategory/108

And here's a list of board game apps I've bought and in order of awesomeness and how often I play them.

(italics around the game name indicate it's a born digital board game.)

TOP NOTCH - Async multiplayer, single player AI

Summoner Wars,
Ascension,
Le Havre,
Nightfall,
Ticket to Ride Pocket,
Neuroshima Hex
Neuroshima Hex Puzzle - single player challenges against AI
Ticket to Ride, - ipad version is a different app. both are worth it
Carcassonne, and
Kard Combat. - this one is designed by Richard Garfield and could be made into a board game.

MIDDLE NOTCH

Magic 2013 - not perfect, but good. Almost top tier

Small World - DESPERATELY needs online play AND more than 2 player support

Puerto Rico,

Fealty, - some early multiplayer glitches, still needs ability to direct invite gamecenter friends properly

Robohero, missing it's multiplayer online feature. board game influenced. roborally style game

Caylus, - multiplayer could use a timer feature and less menu navigation to resume online games, and one of my multiplayer sessions crashed (and never come back). otherwise it's great, especially in single player.

Colony, - board game style strategy game

Samurai - It's done well, but I don't like the game mechanics

Scrabble - I like to keep a 3 player game going but I definitely played a lot of scrabble/words with friends a while ago

LOW NOTCH

Catan, until it gets it's update (in the works) to have multiplayer and cities and knights expansion, it's not as good comparatively. It was one of the first for iOS though and it has seafarers and I played it A LOT.

Kingsburg, good, but it could really use expansions and/or multiplayer online.

Kibosh - blokus clone

Roll Through the Ages - very low quality app. still, it's playable

Lux Touch - Risk clone. I don't need to play risk all that often. I have better strategy games on my devices.

BananaGrams - could be done a little better

BOTTOM OF THE BUCKET

Bang! - not sure I like this game in digital form OR physical form

Blokus - it doesn't save your game if you close the app.

Bohnanza - not sure I like it in digital form.

OTHERS (I haven't played these ones enough to rate them)

Tigris and Euphrates

Medici

Tikal

Hive Online

Loot and Scoot

RA

Cabal - magic clone I think

Shadow Era - magic clone I think

Chess Free

Outwitters - strategy game. heard comparisons to risk and hero academy

Hero Academy

Through the Dessert

Greed Corp - turn based strategy war game

Ubongo

Jenga

Eradicate - pandemic clone. supposedly slightly different rules

Fits

---
And for the heck of it, here's a some more great games that have nothing to do with board games (except for strategy and fun):

Plants vs Zombies

Kingdom Rush

Rune Raiders

Civilization Revolution

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoC1909 wrote:

Call it what you want, it doesn't make the statements wrong. Android sucks for board gamers and it doesn't look to be changing any time soon.

And just to stifle your inevitable witty comment implying that anyone that buys Apple is being conformist... I have owned an Android phone for 3 years and still do. I bought an iPad because it is a superior product with a superior selection of apps that matter to me than anything Android.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
I want to add that in the phone area you can get the Galaxy Note, Galaxy S III or HTC One X instead.

Why?

Because for board games the iPad is probably much more suitable than the iPhone.

Interesting point. While the iPad has some apps that the iphone doesn't, there are still plenty of apps that support both. AND I can bring the iphone a lot more places than the ipad. And when I pull out my phone to play a game for a few minutes or take some async turns, I want it to have the games I care to play.

Also, now watching your video...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:
RoC1909 wrote:

Call it what you want, it doesn't make the statements wrong. Android sucks for board gamers and it doesn't look to be changing any time soon.

And just to stifle your inevitable witty comment implying that anyone that buys Apple is being conformist... I have owned an Android phone for 3 years and still do. I bought an iPad because it is a superior product with a superior selection of apps that matter to me than anything Android.

Exactly. The app store and all the apps in it that are available and all the apps that I've bought in it are why I'll never want to leave this platform.

Also, in case someone doesn't know: when you buy an app on your itunes account, you can redownload that app on your other devices for free as long as you sign into your itunes account on that device. So, when I buy an app that supports Ipad and Iphone directly, I can use it on both devices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's funny about this is this situtation is almost a reversal of the PC video game boom decades ago. If you wanted to play video games in the 80's / 90's and have the best game choices, you pretty much had to go PC. The volume of titles available was dramatically lower on the Mac OS. Now we find ourselves in the opposite situation.

It's too bad that the mobil app industry wasn't able to come up with a unified OS structure so that all these apps were cross-platform. But the desire to corner a market and make a lot of money is pretty strong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:
What's funny about this is this situtation is almost a reversal of the PC video game boom decades ago. If you wanted to play video games in the 80's / 90's and have the best game choices, you pretty much had to go PC. The volume of titles available was dramatically lower on the Mac OS. Now we find ourselves in the opposite situation.

It's too bad that the mobil app industry wasn't able to come up with a unified OS structure so that all these apps were cross-platform. But the desire to corner a market and make a lot of money is pretty strong!

So true. I went heavy PC for video gaming in the 90s. There really wasn't much going for mac/apple anymore until ipods and eventually the iphone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
Interesting point. While the iPad has some apps that the iphone doesn't, there are still plenty of apps that support both. AND I can bring the iphone a lot more places than the ipad. And when I pull out my phone to play a game for a few minutes or take some async turns, I want it to have the games I care to play.

Also, now watching your video...
I wasn't so much talking about the need of the resolution of the latest iPad and application issues as much as bigger screen.

I don't know how it is to play games on the iPhone but I assume that if I wanted to play Agricola, Nightfall, Puerto Rico and such and maybe even for games like Neuroshima Hex I'd probably prefer the bigger surface.

Maybe not on the go.

I guess one good solution would be if you could run VNC / remote desktop on the iPad and leave that at home and hook it up say from an Android phone on the go and still play the games remotely =P

But I guess it doesn't do such things. Or are there any remote desktop applications for iOS devices? That would be great

There's no chance to run iOS apps in OS X? They aren't going to fix that? That way you could possibly even had ran an OS X hack with all your iOS games and then hook them up through remote desktop on any device

Guess things like pinching would lag too much though

Maybe if one made an emulator .. I think someone had made an emulator of.. Uhm.. I don't remember. Part of OS X on Linux kernel I think. It was a chick with a cool web page even ;D, her goal wasn't to make it run the whole OS X application level / operating system on top of it but that doesn't mean it couldn't had been done for someone who wanted to. Some possibilities with that one to =P

And yeah. I'm well aware that for gaming on the go the iPhone is probably better than the iPad. I don't know how necessary that is though. Depends on how you use it I guess . Some middle device such as the Galaxy Note might had worked to. I think the rumor is that the next iPhone will get a bigger screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pre-iPhone there actually was quite a bit of Java content.

Guess it doesn't cut it longer.

If iOS devices had ran Flash then Flash could probably had been used reasonable well.

For board games I personally think HTML and Javascript is good enough but we've had that talk previously and some people disagreed. (I think even Adobe agrees though if I'm correctly informed.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
For board games I personally think HTML and Javascript is good enough but we've had that talk previously and some people disagreed. (I think even Adobe does if I'm correctly informed.)

HTML5, definitely. People who disagree just don't know how much of a step forward that is

As for board games, yes, I was tempted to get an iOS device. The fact that Android is better for pretty much everything else made it not an option for my primary phone, but I would nearly have bought a tablet, and if I would have, it would have been an iPad. But then Apple started sueing instead of innovating, and thus I didn't
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well duh. I see now that it looks like Adobe disagreed.

What I meant was that even Adobe had understood that HTML and Java-script was the future and are going that way and away from Flash themselves. Which 'ought to say something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
But then Apple started sueing instead of innovating, and thus I didn't
Samsung won the court case in the UK.

Why? Because the Galaxy Tab wasn't "cool" enough. So people couldn't be confused about which device was Apples and which one wasn't

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-09/samsung-wins-u-k-ap...

Quote:
The Galaxy tablets “do not have the same understated and extreme simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design,” Birss said. “They are not as cool.”

Apple must hate it.

The Playbook was cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:
RoC1909 wrote:

Superior product in comparison to what exactly? It's not like there is another tablet on the market right now in the same price range as an iPad. Now if you want to include netbooks and laptops into the mix, then the iPad's "superiority" is a little more cloudy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
aliquis wrote:
For board games I personally think HTML and Javascript is good enough but we've had that talk previously and some people disagreed. (I think even Adobe does if I'm correctly informed.)

HTML5, definitely. People who disagree just don't know how much of a step forward that is :)

As for board games, yes, I was tempted to get an iOS device. The fact that Android is better for pretty much everything else made it not an option for my primary phone, but I would nearly have bought a tablet, and if I would have, it would have been an iPad. But then Apple started sueing instead of innovating, and thus I didn't :p

I don't think I can agree that on that bolded point. I do prefer iOS over android. I got to try android at work. I wasn't impressed.

I found it's OS a little complex, and unnecessarily so.

It's app market was anemic.

I can't stand how some apps use the hardware buttons in different ways, and unexpected ways too. The back button will sometimes close an app, and other times go backwards in the app. The menu button is sometimes very important in the app and other times not, but the app didn't indicate that. When the entire screen is the interface you know where your buttons are.

However, I did get to play with a blackberry tablet POS that made Android looks amazing in comparison. I will admit that:
a) if iphones didn't exist I'd totally be an android fanboy
b) that even when iphones do exist, Android is a great second choice (for me).

However, I still think you have to be very careful which Android device you get. The 3rd party hardware producers like to produce pieces of crap that can't properly support advanced phone OSes and then they also lump in garbage with it to brand it. So, if you're buying Android, get a Google brand device. Maybe a Kindle Fire but I hear it doesn't properly support the android app market (aka google play).

One more thing: I believe all these companies are involved in lawsuits with each other and others. Google included (though I may be wrong about google actually suing someone). I don't like the lawsuits but there's not much I can do about that. I already do my part to ban certain stores and products I don't like. If I banned something every time a company did something I didn't like, I might become a hermit in a cabin in the woods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.