Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Request: post your favorite verse of scripture (Bible, Torah, Koran, etc...).

Please do the following:
1) Give the reference (book, chapter, verse, etc...)
2) paste in the text (don't make us look it up, or click on a link)
3) Explain why you like it

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Acts 18

While Gallio was proconsul of Achaia, the Jews made a united attack on Paul and brought him into court. "This man," they charged, "is persuading the people to worship God in ways contrary to the law."

In neopagan religions, you often take a 'craft name'. Its like getting a Jedi name to show you have undergone some training. This line deals with Paul (that's my name, obviously) trying to get people to worship God in a new and contrary way.

My taken name is Achaia - although in some translations it is spelled Achaiah, which is what I use.

To me, this passage represents all that is bad in organized religions in the intolerance many learn from it. And the willingness to stand against that intolerance. A belief is a belief. It can be challenged and examined, but should never be attacked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1) Old testament quote probably from Deuteronomy
2) "Be a dick"
3) Haha, religion

There, got that out of the way

Also, not to be a dick myself (although I won't follow all your rules), my favorite is "Eloi, eloi, lema sabachthani" (probably transliterated that horribly, but I can say it). "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Matthew 27:46

The line is powerful, the fact that it's a transliteration of Aramaic, and the context. I don't think I can really explain it, but from all the bible translating sessions/theology classes/etc. that one has stuck with me, and will be with me forever,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I Timothy 2:9-15

9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Matthew 5:38-48
2) (Sorry about the footnotes)

38 ¶Ye have heard that it hath been said, An aeye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not aevil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right bcheek, cturn to him the other also.

40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.

41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.

42 aGive to him that asketh thee, and from him that would bborrow of thee turn not thou away.

43 ¶Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt alove thy bneighbour, and hate thine enemy.

44 But I say unto you, aLove your benemies, cbless them that dcurse you, do egood to them that fhate you, and gpray for them which despitefully use you, and hpersecute you;

45 That ye amay be the bchildren of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth crain on the just and on the unjust.

46 For if ye alove them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

48 aBe ye therefore bperfect, even as your cFather which is in heaven is dperfect.

3) This is what I believe the essence of Christianity to be. It's supposed to be a better way. A peaceful way. A way of understanding, harmony, and reconciliation. I still have a very long way before I even remotely approach this level of perfection, but it's what I aspire to when I stop and think about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
'I was blind yet now I see...'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"thou shalt not kill", note that lack of caveats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
1 John 1:9 - If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

A simple reminder that we can be made whole with God by a simple ABC procedure.

Admit you are a sinner
Believe that you can be saved
Confess your sins and repent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:

My favorite translation of this verse goes this way:

"You're familiar with the old written law, 'Love your friend,' and its unwritten companion, 'Hate your enemy.' I'm challenging that. I'm telling you to love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer, for then you are working out of your true selves, your God-created selves. This is what God does. He gives his best—the sun to warm and the rain to nourish—to everyone, regardless: the good and bad, the nice and nasty. If all you do is love the lovable, do you expect a bonus? Anybody can do that. If you simply say hello to those who greet you, do you expect a medal? Any run-of-the-mill sinner does that.
"In a word, what I'm saying is, Grow up. You're kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb

("Scripture", but Humanist rather than religious)

Bertrand Russell's 10 commandments

Quote:
* Do not feel absolutely certain of anything.
* Do not think it worth while to proceed by concealing evidence, for the evidence is sure to come to light.
* Never try to discourage thinking for you are sure to succeed.
* When you meet with opposition, even if it should be from your husband or your children, endeavour to overcome it by argument and not by authority, for a victory dependent upon authority is unreal and illusory.
* Have no respect for the authority of others, for there are always contrary authorities to be found.
* Do not use power to suppress opinions you think pernicious, for if you do the opinions will suppress you.
* Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.
* Find more pleasure in intelligent dissent that in passive agreement, for, if you value intelligence as you should, the former implies a deeper agreement than the latter.
* Be scrupulously truthful, even if the truth is inconvenient, for it is more inconvenient when you try to conceal it.
* Do not feel envious of the happiness of those who live in a fool’s paradise, for only a fool will think that it is happiness.

Essentially a creed for the free-thinker and anathema to the authoritarian whether political or deistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
happyjosiah wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:

My favorite translation of this verse goes this way:

"You're familiar with the old written law, 'Love your friend,' and its unwritten companion, 'Hate your enemy.' I'm challenging that. I'm telling you to love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer, for then you are working out of your true selves, your God-created selves. This is what God does. He gives his best—the sun to warm and the rain to nourish—to everyone, regardless: the good and bad, the nice and nasty. If all you do is love the lovable, do you expect a bonus? Anybody can do that. If you simply say hello to those who greet you, do you expect a medal? Any run-of-the-mill sinner does that.
"In a word, what I'm saying is, Grow up. You're kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you."

I'm honestly not trying to turn an upbeat thread into a bashing contest, but your love of this passage is striking to me and seems like it might help me understand your take on Calvinism. It seems to me that the God of Calvinism doesn't meaningfully follow this thread. As I understand Calvinism, all people are depraved and God selects some of them to be saved from depravity and others to be condemned for it. Those that are saved are able to love and to worship God; those that are not saved must unavoidably fight and hate God. God then embraces those who (by his choice) love Him and condemns for eternity those who (again by his choice) "give him a hard time". What is your take on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
richcharters wrote:
Request: post your favorite verse of scripture (Bible, Torah, Koran, etc...).

Please do the following:
1) Give the reference (book, chapter, verse, etc...)
2) paste in the text (don't make us look it up, or click on a link)
3) Explain why you like it

Enjoy!

Philippians 2:5-11
Quote:
Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

I appreciate this passage because it is practical; it presents the Good news, that is, the Gospel, summed up succintly and beautifully; it speaks volumes about the nature of God; and it foreshadows what is to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:
2 Kings 2:23-24

"From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!"
He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths."

God killed 42 children for the sake of one man's vanity.

To my knowledge, neither Judaism nor Christianity teach that God is a bear pair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
looleypalooley wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:

"From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!"
He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths."

To my knowledge, neither Judaism nor Christianity teach that God is a bear pair.

So it was just a coincidence, like all miralces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Page
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
looleypalooley wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:

Wow, what do you think the point of that story is, if not that god sent the bears? Just a random weird coincidence?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's a bit obscure, but,

1) Ruth 4:17

2) "And the women her neighbours gave it a name, saying, There is a son born to Naomi; and they called his name Obed: he is the father of Jesse, the father of David."

3) Not sure why, but I always get the chills when I read that one. I think it's because of all that is left unsaid, as the connection with David carries such huge implications. Perhaps I like it so because it reveals the Author of the Bible to be the unrivaled master of understatement, a trait I personally find quite admirable - it's like, if you want to know more about why that is so important, you're going to have to keep reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:

Sort of a textbook example of using God's name in vain. Sounds like the bears mauled the wrong people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like any of the ones where Ringo sings lead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:

I believe it was more of an object lesson, as in, disrespecting God's prophet = disrespecting God. Apparently that's how the bears saw it, anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesterinns wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:

I believe it was more of an object lesson, as in, disrespecting God's prophet = disrespecting God. Apparently that's how the bears saw it, anyways.

As a metaphor I suppose that works, literally though I'm missing some context. Did all 42 youths know he was God's prophet? It's a harsh penalty for giving into peer pressure.

Maybe we should have fed that school bus load of kids who verbally abused that woman to bears. Of course she wasn't a prophet or anything, but it seems like a biblically approved punishment for unruly children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesterinns wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:

So if a child disrepects you you kill them, great leason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
gamesterinns wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:

Looking at this another way: if your child disrespects you, you bring them home so you can talk to them about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richcharters wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
gamesterinns wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:

Looking at this another way: if your child disrespects you, you bring them home so you can talk to them about it.

True, but you dont torture them whilst doing it. But disresepcting someone for being bald is not disrespecting thier boss. If I call my uncle a twat I have not called my father a twat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richcharters wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
gamesterinns wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:

How the heck did you come to THAT?! That's a grotesque modernist changing of what is written. If you can change the killing of 42 people into a stern warning, does that mean that everything else in the bible is just a humongous over exaggeration?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
richcharters wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
gamesterinns wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:

True, but you dont torture them whilst doing it. But disresepcting someone for being bald is not disrespecting thier boss. If I call my uncle a twat I have not called my father a twat.

Not in your culture. In more familial cultures like turn of the century Japan and old Nordic cultures, it is the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [21] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.