Popular Tags: [View All]
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

just played the first two games at the weekend. I am not sure yet if I like the game enough to keep it, but at least I am thinking about it - a fact I cannot say about many games made by Corey

For the first game, we played mission 1, that was ok for the beginning. For the second game, we chose the second mission, and this one felt a bit boring. Three stages to the the berserker to the exit? Not really exciting, in fact, it felt very repititive. Of course, this game is about fighting, but anyway - a bit more interesting mission goals would be welcome.

So: Which mission would you suggest to see the full potential of the game? Which one do you dislike?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, just reading thread title, I was going to suggest China Shop surprise . The first two levels are full of nervous tension, will the Berserker move, where will she move, will she rips two COGs apart. Then you open the last level and draw Firefight, good night devil .

Belly of the Beast is another favourite of mine, you have even sort of goals in that one, first need to get to level 2 to unlock level 3, backtrack through lvl 2 and 1 to get to 3, where you can finally trigger the last stage where all hell breaks loose.

Roadblocks pissed me off, dam(n) Tickers kept killing COGs off, sometimes no later than tile 2 cry . Scattered and Hive I'm sorta so-so on, although Hive is nice as you have a boss you need to kill to win. Plus, Kantuses that can heal/revive killed Locusts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
mavo wrote:
Which one do you dislike?

The one where my dice rolls are crappy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just amazed that the Berserker level seemed repetitive. It's one of the most tense and difficult missions in the game! wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for you input so far!

I found the China-Shop/Berserker-mission boring because each mission card was almost the same: Get the berserker to the exit. Repeat. Repeat.

And gameplay is then down to rush forward, kill, rush forward, kill... I am not sure, if this is because of the mission or because of the game itself. In the latter case, I would have to sell it. A pity, because it has some quite good mechanisms (cards as health points, mission cards with story and objectives, hits...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mavo wrote:
Thanks for you input so far!

I found the China-Shop/Berserker-mission boring because each mission card was almost the same: Get the berserker to the exit. Repeat. Repeat.

And gameplay is then down to rush forward, kill, rush forward, kill... I am not sure, if this is because of the mission or because of the game itself. In the latter case, I would have to sell it. A pity, because it has some quite good mechanisms (cards as health points, mission cards with story and objectives, hits...)

Sounds to me that you are not getting the 'Survival with scarce resources' vibe from the game. If you are not enjoying this then you won't like the game at all unfortunately.

The whole point of the Berserker mission is not to uncover new objectives with each card but to try and survive her relentless onslaught while fighting your way through other Locusts. From your description it sounds like you wanted something like a strategic objective each time you flip a new Stage card which is something that this game won't do.

I suggest that you play the 3rd mission which is a bit more conventional and if that mission also seems bland to you then I think that you should sell the game to someone who will enjoy it more and move on with something different. I recommend Earth Reborn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Folkert
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Well, just reading thread title, I was going to suggest China Shop surprise .

I second this. I've found China Shop to be the most fun out of all the missions, simply because you have that extra element to keep track of, instead of just move, kill, move, kill, ad nauseum.

My chief criticism of the game is that there's no real progression in what you're doing. You're doing the same thing two hours in (move, kill, move, kill) that you were doing at the very beginning. You might pick up a new weapon, but that's it.

Honestly, the first two missions are the best, since they have an objective other than "get to the next level and kill everything along the way." Don't even bother with Hive. We tried this one with four players, played for two hours, and just opened up the second (of four) levels before getting wiped out. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Great Dalmuti
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i think that is the game.
like it or not!

i like it very much and liked the berserker hunt very much. i am waiting for the first expansion in german!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmmh ... I expected that the later missions will be more "sophisticated", instead of being rather dumb compared to the first ones (which I found dumb).

Maybe you are right: It could be that the game is not for me. I already own ER, but a cooperative game with a science-fiction-background would have been welcome. Maybe I expected GOW to be a cooperative ER, which it is not.

So far, I would say it is rather like a sci-fi D&D adventure game (like Wrath of Ashardalon). But I think I prefer D&D, because the game is shorter, you have a changed endgame and you can develop your hero (although only a little). But I really liked much of GOW, as stated above: Especially the mission card mechanism would allow for cool story-telling, but it does not...

@Jonathan: If the other missions are even more like move,kill,repeat, I will definitely sell the game. This kind of game would be ok if it only takes about an hour or so to play.

How long is the "normal" playing time? We only play 2-player.

I will definitely give the game another go at the weekend...

P.S.: Anyone else thinks that this game really lacks items? Things that allow re-rolls, special move etc, so you have more choices during you turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mavo wrote:

You should be able to setup and play in 60 minutes, unless you really drag your feet. Maybe goes over that for the long (big map) scenarios, but 60 min per mission max is what I'm used to.

I wouldn't want rerolls, it isn't that tough to begin with, no need for crutches devil .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
mavo wrote:

You should be able to setup and play in 60 minutes, unless you really drag your feet. Maybe goes over that for the long (big map) scenarios, but 60 min per mission max is what I'm used to.

I wouldn't want rerolls, it isn't that tough to begin with, no need for crutches devil .

That sounds like it's way on the low end as far as time goes. I've had games last several hours. You can probably get through Emergence in an hour, but good luck playing to the end of Belly of the Beast or Scattered or Hive in that amount of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I currently sell this game - we tried the "Belly" mission, but it did not work for us Thanks for all your input, guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
That sounds like it's way on the low end as far as time goes. I've had games last several hours. You can probably get through Emergence in an hour, but good luck playing to the end of Belly of the Beast or Scattered or Hive in that amount of time.

You're playing with 3-4 players though, right? I either solo 2 COGs or player regular 2-player, but regardless of scenario, 60 minutes is right on the money. Emergence takes about 15 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.