Subject: Game recommendations for girlfriend rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Williams
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
My girlfriend and I got into boardgames a few months ago, and I've been trying to find more games for us to play. Unfortunately, I'm having some trouble discerning the exact qualities that she's liking in games.

Here's what I can determine about her BG tastes:
Two player, ability to acquire and spend resources, limited competitive interplay, large variety of possible ways for the game to unfold, and a short enough game time that if a game doesn't go well, you can always just play another... and another.

Games she likes:
1)Dominion | She likes this a lot. She likes "buying things" and being focused on her own board (being able to do your own thing without having to competitively attack other players)
2)Munchkin | She likes the light feel of it, the way that every game and card is different, and the fact that the game encourages you to help the other person if you have a comfortable lead.
3)Catan | We've been playing with a two-player rule set. She likes being able to acquire and spend resources, and the low level of inter-player interference.
4)Scrabble/Bananagrams | She'd been playing these for years, and is how we branched into "harder stuff"

Games she doesn't like:
Lost Cities (Boring)
Carcassonne (Not fun)
Ticket to Ride (Too little to do on your turn, too simple)
Risk (Refuses to play)
Small World (too similar to risk, too complicated, not fun enough)

Other:
We've played kingdom builder once. She liked it but isn't rushing to play another game. We also played Alien Encounters at PAX East and actually enjoyed it a decent amount, considering it was pretty complex compared to our usual fare.

I've been thinking of looking into Morels, Caylus and Castles of Burgundy, although the last two are pretty long compared to the games we've been playing (10min Bananagrams, 20min Dominion, 30min Munchkin, 40min Catan)
Ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension: Deckbuilding Game
Lords of Waterdeep
Struggle for Catan
Forbidden Island

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto rico? (shipping and market is aggressive.)

Family version of Agricola? (Can be played aggressively in that you take the resources someone else might had wanted.)

Stone age is probably simpler and many recommend it.

Maybe it's best that she look around and find something she think she may like?

What's the die rolling euro game which isn't Troyes or Castles of Burgundy? The one with four seasons ... Many that would be something since it involves dice and spending those?

Does it have to be euro games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If she likes Dominion, I recommend Eminent Domain. This takes the "deckbuilding" mechanic out of "deckbuilding for deckbuilding's sake" and brings in other mechanics like role selection and tableau building, which can then be used as a stepping stone to other tableau builders like Puerto Rico.

Given her preference for Catan, if you want to try to move into the Worker Placement genre, I recommend Stone Age. It's a relatively light, still highly dice-controlled WP game with some inter-player interference (especially in 2 player) but not complete. Also, Kingsburg would be another good one, as that also brings in an element of tableau building. Caylus is an excellent WP game, don't get me wrong, but I'd start her off with something a little bit closer to what she knows first.

Does she like classic 2p abstract games (Chess, Go)? If so, also take a look at Hive. It's a relatively quick (10-15min), 2p abstract that offers a lot of strategic choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Williams
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
otha62 wrote:

I'll definitely look into these! Although I've played Ascension, and I think the theme may be a little dark for her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Williams
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ryudoowaru wrote:
If she likes Dominion, I recommend Eminent Domain. This takes the "deckbuilding" mechanic out of "deckbuilding for deckbuilding's sake" and brings in other mechanics like role selection and tableau building, which can then be used as a stepping stone to other tableau builders like Puerto Rico.

Hmm, hadn't heard of that. Sounds promising.

ryudoowaru wrote:
Given her preference for Catan, if you want to try to move into the Worker Placement genre, I recommend Stone Age. It's a relatively light, still highly dice-controlled WP game with some inter-player interference (especially in 2 player) but not complete. Also, Kingsburg would be another good one, as that also brings in an element of tableau building. Caylus is an excellent WP game, don't get me wrong, but I'd start her off with something a little bit closer to what she knows first.

Fair enough. To be honest, I'm almost as new to boardgaming as her, I'm just more willing to try new games, and have the patience to play a new game that has lots of rules (i.e., Game of Thrones board game). I've heard good things about Stone Age, though, and will look into those.

ryudoowaru wrote:
Does she like classic 2p abstract games (Chess, Go)? If so, also take a look at Hive. It's a relatively quick (10-15min), 2p abstract that offers a lot of strategic choices.

She doesn't, not for lack of intellect, but simply because they're so, well, abstract.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I had a great time playing The Castles of Burgundy. There's no direct conflict. You have your own little empire you're building up. I'd at least look into it.
My wife and I are also very fond of Agricola. And another poster has already mentioned it. Again, no direct player conflict. You're building up your farm and trying to survive, all while playing with lots of little resources. This game IS expensive though.
Those are the two that come to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about At the Gates of Loyang? It's slightly deeper than Dominion, etc. but it's great with two. It's a sweet game similar to Agricola about running a market garden in China, growing vegetables, and satisfying regular and occasional customers.

You can do your own thing on your own board, there isn't any negative player interaction, and the pieces are really lovely. I found it a great puzzling fun game for two that takes about an hour, provided neither of you spend ages thinking about your turns.

If she has any experience running her own business or project management, she may find it really easy to grasp (I've worked as a freelance copywriter and Loyang felt like 'juggling cute leeks instead of writing projects').

Alternatively, if you want something cheaper and shorter, have a look at Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small. It plays in 30 minutes to 45 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest:
Pandemic
Penny Arcade Gamers vs Evil
Blood Bowl: Team Manager. The game play I think would fit exactly what she's looking for, though the theme may be hard for her to except.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ani
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your girlfriend and I have similar tastes. I don't care for Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne. I love games where you do your own thing.
You've got some great suggestions here already.

I HIGHLY recommend Agricola and Puerto Rico. These are two of my favourite games. Love them!

Also, may I suggest:
Last Will
The theme is great and fun. You have to spend all your money to win. So if your GF likes games where you buy things this is a fun one. Also each player does their own thing. Lots of fun. This is a new favourite for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin, Conquest of the Fallen Lands.

the penny arcade games Penny Arcade: The Game – Gamers vs. Evil and Penny Arcade: The Game – Rumble in R'lyeh are good, but feature penny arcade humour. Not suitable for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy was tailor made for her. At 60 minutes, it's shorter than some of the other suggestions and many say it plays best with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Cermak
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
d10-1+1 for Lords of Waterdeep
d10-2King of Tokyo (just got reprinted)
d10-3Castle Panic (with the Wizard's Tower expansion) (lots of thinking and strategy on yoru turn)
d10-4Pastiche

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt B
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
williamstome wrote:

Here's what I can determine about her BG tastes:
Two player, ability to acquire and spend resources, limited competitive interplay, large variety of possible ways for the game to unfold, and a short enough game time that if a game doesn't go well, you can always just play another... and another.

Look into the Decktet game Magnate. I think it fits most of these criteria pretty well. I usually play 2 or 3 games at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hanging Gardens might work. Each player is working on their own tableau and is best (in my opinion) with 2.

I'm hesitant to suggest Race for the Galaxy due to it's steep learning curve which sounds like would be a deal breaker for her. However, once learned, a 2-player game can be played very quickly (with the base and even the first expansion). In every other regard it's what you're looking for.

Hard to find, but look at Vikings - pretty much what you're looking for.

For something completely different, take a look at Tales of the Arabian Nights. It'll run longer than you're used to, but it's totally worth it. A great storytelling game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
The Castles of Burgundy was tailor made for her. At 60 minutes, it's shorter than some of the other suggestions and many say it plays best with two.

A little warning about this: Your first few games will take a LOT longer than 60 minutes. Getting into the game isn't exactly easy, either. There are lots of icons to learn, lots of different tiles doing different things. You basically need to have the rules in reach because you WILL have questions about new tiles that come up. Basically, if your girlfriend finds Small World too complicated, I'd be skeptical about The Castles of Burgundy.

The game is very good, and my girlfriend also likes it very much, but be prepared to invest quite some time into it. A game like Stone Age is considerably easier and quicker to learn, and it's just as much fun - for me at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl smith
msg tools
I would suggest Blue Moon City.This game is largely about collecting resources to help re-construct blue moon city but the way your cards that you are collecting interact with each other gives you multiple choices of strategy every turn.It plays quickly once you master the icons on the cards and especially in a 2 player game you never feel that you are out of the race to be the winner.One game that my wife will always play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Forbidden Island
+1 Last Will

Forbidden Island is just the right length. Everyone (and I mean everyone) I've introduced it to likes it. It is a cooperative game. If you both really like it, you could try Pandemic next. It's a bit longer and a bit more complex than Forbidden Island.

Last Will is a really good fit, if it's not too long.

Thebes is another possibility. You don't buy things exactly, but you do collect them. (I recommend the "remove one dirt from the bag each time you dig" variant.)

I also recommend Finca and Vikings, if you can find them. I think they are both out of print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Last Will... I shall take my dog and my horse to the theatre, and then a companion and two chefs on a boat trip. After that, Jeeves old boy, I will fail to maintain my town house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trantor42 wrote:
Moe45673 wrote:

A little warning about this: Your first few games will take a LOT longer than 60 minutes. Getting into the game isn't exactly easy, either. There are lots of icons to learn, lots of different tiles doing different things. You basically need to have the rules in reach because you WILL have questions about new tiles that come up. Basically, if your girlfriend finds Small World too complicated, I'd be skeptical about The Castles of Burgundy.

The game is very good, and my girlfriend also likes it very much, but be prepared to invest quite some time into it. A game like Stone Age is considerably easier and quicker to learn, and it's just as much fun - for me at least.

The Castles of Burgundy will take longer than 60 minutes on your first play, but so will Stone Age. My wife does not like complex games, but she got the hang of Castles halfway through the first game. The first game took about 90 minutes. Our second game took about 60 minutes. Our third took just under an hour. Stone Age loses its luster after a while because it gets a bit repetitive. The Castles of Burgundy, imo, has a lot more staying power than Stone Age. But I will say, a 4 player game of Castles WILL take 2+hrs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
What's the die rolling euro game which isn't Troyes or Castles of Burgundy? The one with four seasons ... ?

That's Kingsburg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
williamstome wrote:

Two player, ability to acquire and spend resources, limited competitive interplay........

I've been thinking of looking into Morels, Caylus and Castles of Burgundy
Ideas?

If competitive interplay is an issue, Caylus may be very risky. You can pay coins to move the provost back, which can deprive your opponent of their chosen actions. If your girlfriend isn't a fan of screwage in games, then Caylus is probably not for her. My husband and I have had to house rule this game to make it playable (by sensitive moi!).

I don't have either of the other two, but Morels looks gorgeous, from what I've seen! I'm not sure there's the spending part that you were looking for, though.

Have you looked at Hawaii? It works perfectly as a two player, has lots of buying (you're buying cool things like surfers, coconuts, and hula girls!) and the interaction is only competition over spaces, you can't do anything actively nasty! Two player takes 1 hour, so you can even get a few games in an evening, and there's great replayability, due to the variable set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Builder
Killer Bunnies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Williams
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hey all, thanks for the suggestions!!!

Ordered:
Castles of Burgundy
Pandemic

Very strong considerations:
Eminent Domain
Lords of Waterdeep
Stone Age

Would have to test with her at local Gamestore first...
Agricola
Ascension
Gates of Loyang
Hawaii
Last Will
The Struggle for Catan

Maybe farther in the future
Caylus
Puerto Rico

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Innovation is a huge hit for couples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.