Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb

I played a great new Werewolf / Resistance style social game at Protospiel.org last weekend, that was really cool. It was called "Two rooms and a boom!". Team red vs team blue have to save the president from being bombed. There is a bomber and a President and a few other roles. It's timed, has no player elimination, and during intervals 2 people from each room switch rooms.

Anyway, I'm very interested in maybe publishing this game - but the though occurred to me that some people may think of this as a game about "assassinating the President" instead of really "saving the President". Then it dawned on me that the RED and BLUE team colors might be viewed as Democratic and Republican and the red team always has the bomber.

So, does this bother you? Should we switch the theme even though this works well? Do you mind SOMEONE being a bomber or should the death be taken out completely? Should we care about being politically correct in a social game?

Thoughts on alternate themes?

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh M

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't find any of it concerning, but if you wanted to have it be yellow vs green or something rather than red vs blue then I think you could take American politics out of it entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say go with it and then run sessions at both national conventions this fall. You'd probably get picked up by The Onion and then sales will go through the roof.

Honestly it doesn't bother me at all, but I'm a Canadian so take that for what it's worth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grondhammar wrote:
You'd probably get picked up by The Onion and then sales will go through the roof.

Uh... you do understand that The Onion is fake news, right?

Back to the subject at hand, the subject doesn't bother me, but it's not appealing either. Also, it would bother me if I was playing the game and the theme prompted a political argument. It would be ridiculously easy to re-theme, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a fun party game. Red and Blue would be fine if you renamed the "President" role to something like "leader" or "General", A whole retheme might be better though; there's plenty of directions to take it. Maybe a Mafia theme?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An Ancient Rome theme might be cool too, replace the President with an Emperor.

Of course, if you really want to sell a lot of copies you could add zombies in there somewhere .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGShop wrote:
Then it dawned on me that the RED and BLUE team colors might be viewed as Democratic and Republican and the red team always has the bomber.

Whatchu mean Democrats and Republicans, yo? Thems is colors for Bloods and Crips. Word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gang_colors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hidden Loyalty games are my absolute favorite. No question. So I'd likely play this game no matter the theme.

That said, I can see how it could be very controversial. I mean, Letters from Whitechapel had some controversy and that's about events that took place more than a century ago.

I would suggest that you possibly change the colors and definitely make the president come from a fictional country or society. Perhaps state in the rules that he's a military dictator and the Red (or whatever color) team is trying to overthrow him.

I think that is part of what helps The Resistance. If it had been about bombing government facilities, it might have been received much less positively. But it's set in a dystopian future with a totalitarian regime that is being fought. And everyone can get behind that, thematically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
mbmbmbmbmb
Red vs Blue makes me think of USA vs USSR in which case it´s perfectly logical that the red team has the bomb.

But that´s an answer from the other side of the Atlantic...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
myth1202 wrote:
Red vs Blue makes me think of USA vs USSR in which case it´s perfectly logical that the red team has the bomb.

But that´s an answer from the other side of the Atlantic...

A cold war retheme with a President Kennedy or President Eisenhower could be good, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red and blue will more likely be seen as the colors of communist and democracy so I would not retheme it. I'd consider making it a communist bomber.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JEREMY JINKERSON
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 2R1B at GameCon Memphis.

Please don't retheme it. The assassination vs. salvation of President is a racy and controversial theme. To me, it adds to the impact of play.

Plus, you get to deal with the idea of "true patriotism," as both the defenders and revolutionaries will see their sides as sympathetic.

I also don't see a problem with RvB, as it's almost a archetypal rivalry. The idea of party lines occurred to me, but I soon dismissed it.

Let me put it this way: I'm going to buy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game where the US President gets assassinated with a bomb? What could possibly be wrong with this theme? Sounds great, I hope it can hit the shelves of Target for Christmas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
A game where the US President gets assassinated with a bomb? What could possibly be wrong with this theme? Sounds great, I hope it can hit the shelves of Target for Christmas!

Who said it was a US president? It's a game. It can be the president of planet Fliptune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The theme of assassinating the President has been done before (Save the President) without shaking the Earth to it's foundations so if you're confident it's a good game go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:
The theme of assassinating the President has been done before (Save the President) without shaking the Earth to it's foundations so if you're confident it's a good game go for it.

Of course, that was in 1984. The political climate in the US these days is much nastier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Retheme is unnecessary.

Cards Against Humanity didn't retheme. thumbsup
Pandemic didn't retheme. thumbsup
Twilight Struggle didn't retheme. thumbsup
Andean Abyss didn't retheme. thumbsup
Jyhad had to change its name to Vampire. thumbsdown

So rampant vulgarity, American politics and mass genocide is ok; using religious terminology is a no-go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nuclear War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
We have a peanut butter cookie problem!
badge
Bert, what utter nonsense!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you could keep the theme and avoid any possible problems so long as you put it in the past, maybe in the Cold War or before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
Grondhammar wrote:
You'd probably get picked up by The Onion and then sales will go through the roof.

Uh... you do understand that The Onion is fake news, right?

Back to the subject at hand, the subject doesn't bother me, but it's not appealing either. Also, it would bother me if I was playing the game and the theme prompted a political argument. It would be ridiculously easy to re-theme, I think.

Technically...

http://www.avclub.com/

Sadly there's no games category covered by the AV Club so that's probably not what he meant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent Emme
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Holy shit, rebuilding your games collection is expensive!
badge
Phelanpt Feb 11, 2:15 PM: evils have mostly stood by and watch goods fall. except for emme. she's spinning them round and round.
mbmbmbmbmb
So psyched for this game to come out. Origins 2013???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.