Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean M
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm wondering how many of you have a local, easily accessible game library (board/card specifically) in your city/town/rural area? Do such things exist? Do they only exist if the local librarian happens to be a gamer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one in my game room. Does that count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure! Just move within 3 blocks of my house, then let me grab whatever games I want to from it on a regular basis.

Oh, and make sure you've got "Ethel The Aardvark Goes Quantity Surveying" on the shelf somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to live about 50m away from one. We've got 377 of them over here in Switzerland. I don't know how it is in the States but here they are generally separate from the traditional libraries. So I guess they develop when enough folks from the town get together to build one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Switzerland, are they run by individuals rather than towns or cities? Do they charge a fee of some type? (per use, per week/month, etc)

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
My local library includes some board games. Not sure if they're just for on-site usage, but they are there and available. Chess, Killer Bunnies, Clue... that sort of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our local library has Dominion, and a few Euros I can't remember. The youth librarian who initiated it is a gamer and I sat down in the first few sessions of a few Dominion days last fall. And we're a 45 minute drive from west Michigan's largest game store that offers a game library with a membership (plus discount).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonia
France
Losne
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
badge
Good grief!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, we have what we call in France a 'ludothèque' - a library for games!
There's one in every city in France, generally held in a 'centre social' (an activity centre usually subsidised by public money). I used to go and play games every Wednesday at one nearby my parents' place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludothèque is a wonderful word! I'm glad to hear places like this do exist.

Did your ludothèque allow people to take games home?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonia
France
Losne
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
badge
Good grief!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, a one-week borrowing period, from one Wednesday to another, so this was great, as my mum was a childminder and we didn't have much money for games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two decent-sized game shops here that keep game libraries on hand. One is pretty big with probably over 200 games available, the other might have 50 or so. You can't take the games home like a library book, but you can go into the store and play the games. A try-it-before-you-buy-it scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.