Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I went through the cards in the game and found all the instances where Mechanized Units will be treated differently from Ground Forces.

Immunities

Mechanized Units are immune to PDS fire and Bombardment.

Action Cards

Local Unrest
Refers to a planet becoming neutral if there are no Ground Forces left. The FAQ addresses this, so that MUs prevent control of a planet from being lost.

Plague
Mechanized Units are immune to Plague.

Chemical Warfare
Mechanized Units are immune to Chemical Warfare.

Direct Hit
Mechanized Units are not ships, and as such are immune to Direct Hit.

Races
Mechanized Units cannot benefit from the The Barony of Letnev's boost.

L1Z1X Mechanized Units do not get a +1 during Invasion Combat.

Mechanized Units are unaffected by the Yin Brotherhood conversion.

A Mechanized Unit alone will not protect a Winnu planet from Local Unrest.

MUs can be built at Arborec Space Docks.

Politics

Crown of Thalnos
Mechanized Units cannot benefit from this card.

Planetary Security
Refers to a planet becoming neutral if there are no Ground Forces left. The FAQ addresses this, so that MUs prevent control of a planet from being lost.

Colonial Redistribution
An odd one. The card only requires you to destroy Ground Forces, but allows an opponent to place three Ground Forces on a planet and take control of it. My ruling would be that taking control of the planet destroys all MUs, PDS, and Space Docks, and no combat takes place.

Dispute Resolution
The card doesn't refer to MUs, but since the planet reverts to neutral, they are destroyed.

Mass Mobilization
Against: Does not prevent players from buying Mechanized Units.

Compensated Disarmament
Cannot destroy Mechanized Units.

Minister of Internal Security
Cannot destroy Mechanized Units.

Technology

Mechanized Units cannot benefit from:
Space Capsules
Dacxive Animators
Gen Synthesis
Magen Defense Grid
Transit Diodes

Mechanized Units are immune to:
X-89 Bacterial Weapon

Leaders
Diplomat
As written, refers to Ground Force units. I've heard that there's an answer saying that Diplomats can stop any invasion, so hopefully that'll be in the next FAQ.

General
Mechanized Units gain no benefit from being with a defending General.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
Not Oswald!!!
badge
Vic Mackey
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm certain that MU do in fact give protection to Local Unrest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
halbower wrote:
I'm certain that MU do in fact give protection to Local Unrest.

They do indeed (as I mentioned in the other thread).

The FAQ doesn't state the title "Local Unrest" specifically, but in the MU section it does say that MUs count as ground forces for the purpose of invasion and occupation, including effects that cause the planet to revert neutral if no GFs are left; IE, Local Unrest may kill the GFs and ignore the MUs, but when it comes time to check if any GFs remain, the MUs DO count for that purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gagner
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One way to interpret MUs and Local Unrest is that the MU does not make the planet immune to the card. The card will kill a ground force, if present, and the planet will go neutral. Although, if there is a MU present you will simply regain control of the planet.

I would prefer to say that the planet does NOT go neutral in this case, but it would still exhaust in any case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do see that in the FAQ. I believe that Local Unrest and Planetary Security are the only cards that reference a planet becoming neutral if no Ground Forces are left. I'll update the original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, I just got to Distant Suns. -headdesk-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beri wrote:

MUs kick butt against distant suns. They are immune to some of the nastier effects and can really inflict pain against the hostile locals and settlers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Ok but what about Diplomats? Can they delay the first attempt of invading Mechanized Units?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
knightfall316 wrote:
Ok but what about Diplomats? Can they delay the first attempt of invading Mechanized Units?

As written, no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
knightfall316 wrote:

As written, no.

This was answered in this thread : http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/675584/mechanized-units-dipl...
To be more specific :
From Corey:
"
1) You reveal the domain counter. If the counter specifically does something to ground forces, the mechanized unit is unaffected.
2) Diplomats may be used to prevent ANY invasion combat.
3) Admiral's ability only works on Dreadnaughts (not flagships)
4) Yes. Mechanized units can start and participate in invasion combat alone.

Thanks!
-Corey Konieczka
VP of R&D
Fantasy Flight Games
"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garfielder wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
knightfall316 wrote:

As written, no.

This was answered in this thread : http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/675584/mechanized-units-dipl...
To be more specific :
From Corey:
"
1) You reveal the domain counter. If the counter specifically does something to ground forces, the mechanized unit is unaffected.
2) Diplomats may be used to prevent ANY invasion combat.
3) Admiral's ability only works on Dreadnaughts (not flagships)
4) Yes. Mechanized units can start and participate in invasion combat alone.

Thanks!
-Corey Konieczka
VP of R&D
Fantasy Flight Games
"

Aha, I'd forgotten about that thread (and had even answered in it). Thanks for the reminder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
beri wrote:

MUs kick butt against distant suns. They are immune to some of the nastier effects and can really inflict pain against the hostile locals and settlers.

Have the exact effects of domain counters been answered?

Immunity to Radiation, Biohazard, and Hostage Situation don't cause too much trouble. Their effects can resolve against Ground Forces and not Mechanized Units, and it doesn't break anything (although you need to remove the sentences about 'Planet remains uncontrolled', but I consider those to be rules clarifications, rather than hard rules text.)

Now, the tough ones -

Are Mechanized Units immune to being returned to the carrier by Settlers? If not, does an Invasion Combat against hostile Settlers begin immediately?

Before you answer that, first answer a related question from the base game. If you attempt to land a PDS on a planet with Settlers, what happens to it? The Domain Counter doesn't specifically reference PDS, either.

The same question arises for Fighter Ambush. Can a MU claim a planet even if all ships have been destroyed? If so, what happens to the Fighter Ambush token? The Space Battle was not successful, so the token remains, creating a situation where you have a hostile domain counter on a controlled planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beri wrote:
Are Mechanized Units immune to being returned to the carrier by Settlers? If not, does an Invasion Combat against hostile Settlers begin immediately?

As written, I would say yes to both; they are immune, and thus they would immediately begin a combat.

Quote:
Before you answer that, first answer a related question from the base game. If you attempt to land a PDS on a planet with Settlers, what happens to it? The Domain Counter doesn't specifically reference PDS, either.

As written, one could argue that the PDS are destroyed, since they are trying to land on a planet, and if they are alone during such things they automatically die. I'm not sure that was the intent, but a strict, literal reading would work that way.

Quote:
The same question arises for Fighter Ambush. Can a MU claim a planet even if all ships have been destroyed? If so, what happens to the Fighter Ambush token? The Space Battle was not successful, so the token remains, creating a situation where you have a hostile domain counter on a controlled planet.

The bit about the token remaining would also apply to "Radiation" - it says "the planet remains uncontrolled" - but I think the exception of the MUs implies that they override that and control the planet. I would apply the same to Fighter Ambush. (I'm not sure I like that approach, but based on a strict reading, that's what their "immunity to GF effects" seems like to me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for giving that feedback. I'll keep working on this - it may be my mission to find all the answers for MUs.

The reason for all this is that I'm working on some high-quality player aids for TI3. But without a clear answer on how some of these items interact, I can't finalize them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should add to the PDS bit - if the Settlers end up being your own, I would say the PDS land without incident regardless

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
muthrali the relentless
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait what? You mean its possible to invade neutral planets with only a pds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
muthrali wrote:
Wait what? You mean its possible to invade neutral planets with only a pds?

Possible to invade? Yes. Possible to conquer the planet? No. Meaning, you could land your PDS alone, but you'd automatically lose.

If a PDS invades a neutral or enemy planet with no GFs, the PDS are destroyed (including situations where the GFs were killed by PDS fire on the way down, or were killed during battle in a mutual wipeout).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seren of Moon
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
I'm glad to see Diplomats cancel any invasion, including one with MUs.

As written, the MU FAQ v 2.5 is misleading and appears to state MUs are not impacted by leaders referring to ground forces specifically.

Corey's BGG response needs to find it's way into an FAQ update soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I just go e-mail from Corey answering questions about Fighter Ambush and Settlers. Hope that clears things out a bit.

Hello Fedor,

In both of these cases, the mechanized units are treated as ground forces for the purposes of landing. They would return to their ship like GFs.

I hope this answers your questions!
-Corey Konieczka
VP of R&D
Fantasy Flight Games

Here is actual question

Rule Question:
Greetings.
I have some specific questions about particular Domain counters and Mechanized Unit interaction.

1.) Player land 1 gf and 1 mechanized on the planet with domain counter. Counter revealed to be Fighter ambush.
Which of the scenario correct
a.) mechanized unit stays on the planet, gf return to carrier. if space battle lost the planet is controlled by player domain counter is discarded.
b.)mechanized unit stays on the planet, gf return to carrier. if space battle lost the planet is controlled by player domain counter stays on planet preventing landing by player and his enemy until win space battle against ambush.
c.) domain counter discarded and no space battle happens.

2.) Player land 1 gf and 1 mechanized on the planet with domain counter. Counter revealed to be Settlers.
a.) Gf return t o carrier, mechanized unit stay. If roll is made that one of the opponent put 2 gf - then battle between mechanized and gf happens right away.
b.) token discarded
c.) Gf and mechanized unit retun. If roll is made that one of the opponent put 2 gf then he get control of the planet

Thank you for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Fighter Ambush part is kind of incorrect. If a Fighter Ambush happens the GFs are never returned to the carrier, but instead they are discarded if the space battle is lost. A minor, but important distinction, because if the space battle is WON, they are still on the planet and would thus conquer it. But this ruling, at it's heart, at least seems to indicate that MUs would be destroyed as well if the space battle is lost.

However, the Settlers ruling is good to know; it's different than how we've been playing it (and is different from how the FAQ states), but I don't mind the ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I think the Fighter Ambush part is kind of incorrect. If a Fighter Ambush happens the GFs are never returned to the carrier, but instead they are discarded if the space battle is lost. A minor, but important distinction, because if the space battle is WON, they are still on the planet and would thus conquer it. But this ruling, at it's heart, at least seems to indicate that MUs would be destroyed as well if the space battle is lost.

However, the Settlers ruling is good to know; it's different than how we've been playing it (and is different from how the FAQ states), but I don't mind the ruling.

Overall I have to agree that this ruling makes more sense that any other situation with battle lost and mu just hanging there by itself and what to do with ambush token?

Also this sort of solve the problem of accidental fight with settlers when you have trade agreement with them the way we played it mechanized stayed and in some situation instant fight started - not always desired by either of the opponents.

Also some extras in this thread : http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/831001/mechanized-units-the-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Pulles
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can they benefit from the technology Statis Capsules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zodiak wrote:
Can they benefit from the technology Statis Capsules?

No. Only real GFs with that tech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is got to be why I house rule those things.

And this is why TI3 needs one universal rules book as its third expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.