Subject: Call of Cthulhu shifts to quarterly expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Technically it's not quarterly, it's one Deluxe Expansion every 4 months, so 3 per year. And the total of different cards released in a year goes from 240 (12 packs x 20) to 165 (3 packs x 55.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cathcart
United States
West Conshohocken
US
flag msg tools
Time to reprint Dreamlands as a complete box set awwww yeah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreamlands as a box (or pair of boxes since it will be 360 cards) would be great. Also, this will make the game a lot cheaper.

Old annual cost: 12x$15 = $180
New annual cost: 3x$25 = $75
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
I got burned out on trying to keep up. After getting enough to have each faction have 3 decks, I figure I'm good.

I like the idea of a box set. Probably enough they'll get me on the impulse buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sleaze
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, sounds good!

Now i can have a hope to play the new cards befor the next pack is in the stores...

As CoC has a playerbase Problem like most LCGs its good to turn the speed down a bit as the older cards don´t get to much play.. at least not for me.

So yes.. now i´m thinking about getting up with last Packs and continue collecting with the new form of expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
LordHellfury wrote:
...It also addresses a complaint you and I both have, Fightcitymayor, about feeling overwhelmed by releses. You got to admit this is much easier for newbs and vets alike.

A good move I say.
You got me... I agree.

It also makes me wonder if we'll see a new Core Set along the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for this!

I've started to feel burnt-out having to keep up with the game on a monthly basis. I always wait until the end of a cycle, then just buy all of the packs at once. I've long felt that fewer, larger releases would be more appealing. I imagine that entry will be less intimidating for newbies now as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
Well said. I agree with each and every point.

Feel burnt out on the monthly upkeep? Check.
Wait until the end of a cycle to buy asylum packs because of that? Check
Wished CoC would come in less fiddly and more economical expansions? Check
Deluxe expansions better entry for newbs? Big Check.

I love this idea. [sigh] Just when I was thining of getting out they have to make it easier to stay...

There's another good thing about this: it gives the card pool room to settle, so that players can fully explore each set between releases, without constantly being unsettled by new cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rog
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree!!
This would be much better!

Could it be that they're going to start doing this with the other LCG as well?
Lord of the Rings comes to mind.
As it's second cycle is about to end and no new cycle as been announced.
Just the two part Saga/Deluxe Expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rog wrote:
I totally agree!!
Could it be that they're going to start doing this with the other LCG as well?

I might just get into their re-imagining of Netrunner if so. The burden wouldn't be as hard to carry if multiple LCGs were released as such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My only question is: "Why did it take FFG so long?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
LordHellfury wrote:
Quote:
However, there are no plans to apply this change to any other LCG.
It doesnt mean it wont happen. it just means there are no current plans for such.
I kinda translated this as, "sales have slowed down enough for this particular LCG that switching to Deluxe Editions will net us the same if not more profit."
My guess is once the other LCG lines wind down in popularity they will go the same route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
My guess is once the other LCG lines wind down in popularity they will go the same route.

Alternatively (or in addition) other LCGs might switch to this release mode if the new CoC Deluxe Sets sell extremely well.

I like the change - for the reasons already mentioned and wouldn't mind if NetRunner and LotR were using it, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rog
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:

Alternatively (or in addition) other LCGs might switch to this release mode if the new CoC Deluxe Sets sell extremely well.

I like the change - for the reasons already mentioned and wouldn't mind if NetRunner and LotR were using it, too.

Could be a combination of the two.
CoC could be the slowest selling of the LCG at the moment. So they're trying something new with it.
And from it's success it might be a viable option for other LCG too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michail Giannis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news....total agree with this move and hope to do the same to all other LCGs.

Hope all goes well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:

Agreed, along with whatever other reasons, they're also testing the waters. If this change proves to be popular and increase sales, we might see it spread to other LCG's.

Also, they said they weren't going to apply this change to any other LCG, but Netrunner isn't using a pack system now so using it wouldn't be a change. It's possible it will use boxed expansions out of the gate, though I don't know how likely that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this a lot! I've already quit buying CoC and decided after this current cycle I'm done buying LoTr and with Netrunner and Star Wars coming, I'm likely to cut out Invasion too, its just too hard keeping up with them all.

As much as I like getting new stuff each month, the packs always seem to small, i always want more, that and is hard keeping track of what packs I actually own if I get behind on a game and want to catch up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gdotbat wrote:
I like this a lot! I've already quit buying CoC and decided after this current cycle I'm done buying LoTr and with Netrunner and Star Wars coming, I'm likely to cut out Invasion too, its just too hard keeping up with them all.

That's a lot to keep up with! I only currently collect Call of Cthulhu, and I recently bought a Core and two house boxes for A Game of Thrones to try it out but I don't expect to collect it on an ongoing basis. I do however plan to collect Netrunner when it releases, so this is a nice way to help reduce my "subscription" costs. If Netrunner is all built on boxed expansions too that would be great.

gdotbat wrote:
As much as I like getting new stuff each month, the packs always seem to small, i always want more, that and is hard keeping track of what packs I actually own if I get behind on a game and want to catch up.

I keep a checklist on my iPhone, and mark them off as they are purchased. It's been working well so far and I can refer to it while I'm at the store if I need to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Hergl
Germany
Riemerling
flag msg tools
I give demos for the Star Wars LCG in Munich
badge
I give demos for the Star Wars LCG in Munich
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it has to do with sales. For Game of Thrones you get monthly packs AND Deluxe Expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
www_Mischraum_de wrote:
I think it has to do with sales. For Game of Thrones you get monthly packs AND Deluxe Expansions.

Yeah, well, we'll see what happens with the deluxe expansions on AGoT. Now that the last house has its, I think there will be a long gap. It's been almost a year since the Lanni box was announced, and still no word on a new deluxe.

I wonder how many reprints of CCG-era cards will be included. Obviously they've advertised the new-and-shiny cards/themes/mechanics, but I'd love to see reprints of CCG cards, many of which would be very viable in the current card-pool. And more dreamers please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
gdotbat wrote:

That's a lot to keep up with! I only currently collect Call of Cthulhu, and I recently bought a Core and two house boxes for A Game of Thrones to try it out but I don't expect to collect it on an ongoing basis. I do however plan to collect Netrunner when it releases, so this is a nice way to help reduce my "subscription" costs. If Netrunner is all built on boxed expansions too that would be great.

gdotbat wrote:

I keep a checklist on my iPhone, and mark them off as they are purchased. It's been working well so far and I can refer to it while I'm at the store if I need to.

I didn't even mention A Game of Thrones, which is my primary game, Ya, Im crazy about LCG's.

The phone idea is a good one, Ill give that a try. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
danach81 wrote:
www_Mischraum_de wrote:

Yeah, well, we'll see what happens with the deluxe expansions on AGoT. Now that the last house has its, I think there will be a long gap. It's been almost a year since the Lanni box was announced, and still no word on a new deluxe.

I wonder how many reprints of CCG-era cards will be included. Obviously they've advertised the new-and-shiny cards/themes/mechanics, but I'd love to see reprints of CCG cards, many of which would be very viable in the current card-pool. And more dreamers please.

Greyjoy and Martell still need another box. Technically they are still behind in card count since they are not included in the core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Dyer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I've been thinking about it, the more I like this change. I have been considering getting into this game for a bit, and I this will do it. The reduced cost and more cards with a single purchase will be really nice for a new player like me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
If Netrunner is all built on boxed expansions too that would be great.

I think the traditional pack format would suit Netrunner better out of the gate. In four months time, assuming they keep up with the pack a month model LCG's originally aimed for, we'd have 80 original cards released for $15 more than one 55 card boxed expansion. Money and minutia aside, it seems FFG could get cards out and into our hands faster with the original pack model, and I'll be hungry to get into deck building.

Boxed expansions as the only method of card delivery would make us wait (seemingly) endlessly for the card pool to grow.

/Netrunner talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Shouldn't the Netrunner card pool already be pretty rich though? Between the original's base set and Proteus expansion, it has over 500 cards to choose from without Fantasy Flight even lifting a finger on new designs. I have an starter pack for Netrunner from back in the day. It has a Corp deck and a Runner deck, along with a small manual. I have tons of fun with it, having never expanded into any boosters. With the asymetrical nature of the game, I think that pre-built decks become a much more viable outlet. At least, it's a great way to start out without needing a huge card pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.