United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
The text for speaking tour grants the player a "second personal appearance" (or, in the case of the Republicans, a first).

Alex, is this a "second" appearance in the sense of "additional" (can be played before using one's starting, noncard personal appearance) or in the sense of "chronologically second" (can only be played after having used one's starting, noncard personal appearance)?

This came up yesterday in the first turn of the game. Strictly speaking, either interpretation is a valid one. In deference, I went with the latter (chronologically second) when another player claimed that to be its meaning; but I doubt this is your intent.

Can you confirm either way? Is play of "Speaking Tour" allowed before use of one's starting, noncard personal appearance, and thus is a "second" appearance only in the sense of an additional one?

You'll accuse me of pedantry, perhaps. But this, as I say, is not my question, but rather one of my regular gaming partners'. Rather than press the issue on the first turn of the game, I let his interpretation of "second" as "second in time" slide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:

You'll accuse me of pedantry, perhaps. But this, as I say, is not my question, but rather one of my regular gaming partners'.

I'll grant you this one... but you're on the hook for all of the other rules threads!

(I do admire your thoroughness. If I ever need to publish a rule set, you can be certain that I will attempt to have you proof it!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
And I will attempt to do so! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bagosy
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The intent of the text is to allow an additional Personal Appearance, since each Party is regularly permitted only one per game. In the case of the Republicans, it is the only means (currently) for them to obtain the use of a Personal Appearance in game. Perhaps someone has finally budged Mr. Lincoln from his office to make some sort of public statement, etc.

It is quite common in games for this card to be played immediately when taken rather than discarded or used for the points. Generally speaking, the Republicans want to use it so that they have the option at some point in the game of making a Personal Appearance; others will generally play it, perhaps not so much to earn a second Personal Appearance (though this is, indeed, nice, and I recently witnessed Stephen Douglas using such a tactic in a local game), but also to prevent the Republicans from earning such a critical advantage.

-A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.