Brian Parker
United States
BROKEN ARROW
OK
flag msg tools
My wife and I bought a bunch of these cards many years ago and never played it much. A friend was over last night and we found them while looking for something else so decided to play a game.

We encountered a LOT of rules questions. We're both of the mind that if we can't find the rule then we go with what makes sense logically. I'd appreciate input on the following:

---------------------------------------------------
Player A(ttacker) does his first boarding attack. Player B plays an appropriate card from his hand for his boarding attack.

Player A doesn't have a correct response card in his hand so he loses the boarding. At this point, he would normally suffer hits from Player B's crew that was pushed forward at the beginning.

Before suffering the hits, can Player A tacks his Crew member in the boarding to produce Adventuring, or Swashbuckling, etc. to pay the cost of an Action card that is in his hand?
---------------------------------------------------

I don't see anything in the rules to stop this from happening, but I may have missed it.

Thanks for your help,
-BEP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
If the card is a reaction, then yes, she can tack her crew to pay the cost. Note that tacked crew can't then tack again to absorb hits though, so doing this may result in having to sink for the hits instead of tacking for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Miller
United States
Westminster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I've ever thought of that, but I agree with Evan, it should work. Though having some way to pay without tacking is especially helpful there--look at the upgraded version of 'Red' 'Muskateers' and other henchmen attachments from Iron Shadow, for example.
I think may be some cards that you might play as the attacker after winning a boarding that have a cost (Nightblade?); if your fighting crew that won paid for it, then technically I don't think they'd do any hits. But that's a pretty rare situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Parker
United States
BROKEN ARROW
OK
flag msg tools
Thanks, guys.

It was the first time I'd see the cards in years so I don't remember exact card names, but I remember what the Action card did.

The Attacking Crew card was a guy named "Stench" ( or something like that ). That crew diminished the Swashbuckling of his opponent by 3 when he was in a boarding.

He lost the boarding, then tacked to generate ??? which allowed the Action card to be played that reduced the damage from a boarding by 3 ( I think it was 3 ) causing him to take no hits because the defender had a Swashbuckling of 4 before being reduced to 1 by "Stench".

It sounds like we did it correctly by allowing it to happen.

Again, thanks.

-BEP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.