Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Kraus
United States
New Carlisle
IN
flag msg tools
Hello,

M'names William Kraus and I am thinking about self-publishing a few games that I have created, or am in the process of creating. Therefore, I am going to start up my own company which I shall call Timton Games. But! I am in need of a logo.

As much of an artist as I am (not very much), I do lack the ability to do "clean" artwork such as Art Deco... Which is exactly what I need...... Therefore, I would like to humbly (with a dash of desperation) ask for help from an artist who does have this wonderful and treasured talent.

This is the basic idea. Timton is a city that I created when I was in the third grade and have been writing small stories about it and it's inhabitants since then. It's a ridiculous place. Thus in my image I'm trying to go for this feeling of pride, power and progression with the man, the woman, and a clown all with expressions that reflect that feeling.

I was thinking muted colors, a nice border that matches the style... And where it says Timton Games... I am having trouble envisioning what I want with that. I'm thinking a sweet Art Deco-like font with a good color match.

Thanks very much,
-Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you are going for here. I would probably drop the logo down to less overall colors, making it a good bit more subtle. I can work something up of what I am thinking if you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Kraus
United States
New Carlisle
IN
flag msg tools
Thanks very much man. If you feel taking a stab it it please do so. I will be incredibly grateful. Feel free to tweak and try things. I'm just glad you get the general concept! Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So here is a preliminary of what I came up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Kraus
United States
New Carlisle
IN
flag msg tools
Thanks very much man. It looks pretty good . I was wondering of you could e-mail me a copy. We can discus more about it then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:
So here is a preliminary of what I came up with.

That's a huge improvement Robert. Very nice!

William,

I would say all you need to do now is update the portraits so they are quality, and in an angular art deco style and you'll have a fine logo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd advise changing the typeface to something more legible. A logo will often be reproduced at small sizes and the typeface used here is difficult to read even at this size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ianotoole wrote:
I'd advise changing the typeface to something more legible. A logo will often be reproduced at small sizes and the typeface used here is difficult to read even at this size.

I disagree. The typeface is the perfect selection for this logo. If legibility is an issue just drop a small black shadow to make it pop more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Smith
Canada
Parrsboro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
boom, boom, ramming speed, boom boom, boom, ludicrous speed, boom boom...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest putting the woman ahead of the man so her hair color could brighten it up a bit more...plus most gamer geeks are men...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tinyelvis wrote:
Ianotoole wrote:

I disagree. The typeface is the perfect selection for this logo. If legibility is an issue just drop a small black shadow to make it pop more.

I side with Ian here. You can keep the art deco fell whilst using a more legible font.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
AndreKada wrote:
Tinyelvis wrote:
Ianotoole wrote:

I side with Ian here. You can keep the art deco fell whilst using a more legible font.

It's not illegible because of the font, but because of the background color. This is easily addressed with a drop shadow and would allow the logo to retain the classic deco font.

You could go with a thicker font without the thin lines like below. But notice the drop shadow on the font in this poster. Do this and I really don't think you will have any need to change the font.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Kraus
United States
New Carlisle
IN
flag msg tools
I couldn't agree with you more about the portraits! It's all in my head, that really crisp really professional, perhaps movie poster look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally TRex wrote:
I couldn't agree with you more about the portraits! It's all in my head, that really crisp really professional, perhaps movie poster look.

Yep, I think we are visualizing the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Kraus
United States
New Carlisle
IN
flag msg tools
Tinyelvis wrote:
[q="AndreKada"][q="Tinyelvis"][q="Ianotoole"]It's not illegible because of the font, but because of the background color. This is easily addressed with a drop shadow and would allow the logo to retain the classic deco font.

You could go with a thicker font without the thin lines like below. But notice the drop shadow on the font in this poster. Do this and I really don't think you will have any need to change the font.

I think this is a good idea. I really couldn't see what to so about that color for the background of the text... Maybe more of a rusty orange? What goes well with blue and gold? Haha, this feels like trying to select a color for my living room... it has that same "I'm having an aneurysm" kinda feel. And I was thinking of maybe bringing in width of the boarders on the sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason D. Kingsley
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tinyelvis wrote:
AndreKada wrote:
Tinyelvis wrote:
[q="Ianotoole"]I'd advise changing the typeface to something more legible. A logo will often be reproduced at small sizes and the typeface used here is difficult to read even at this size.

I third that a better type choice is probably available. The thin double-lines probably aren't conducive to a dropshadow, and white type on a dark background should normally be plenty legible (but isn't).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a typeface needs a drop shadow to make it stand out on a logo, then it's not suitable for a logo (name me one successful logo that utilises a drop shadow in this manner).

The typeface isn't legible enough because it is difficult to read at small sizes. Even placing it black on white, hence maximising the contrast, will not make this a functional typeface for a logo.

Typically, typefaces with high stroke contrast (some very thick lines and some very thin) only work in display sizes, such as on posters and signs. That is why you hardly never see them on successful logos.

There are plenty of typefaces that will evoke the Art Deco era and still function as part of a logo, examples:

Airship
Governor
Market Deco
Blanch Caps
Ostrich Sans
Vevey
Valencia (bold)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Bill and All. I do agree with the font being somewhat issue laden with resizing and all. The current one was just a sample choice for proof more than anything else. It'd work great on a poster but not so much on a logo that may be 2 inches tall at most. At least not without some adjusting of it's width and all. I can play with a variety of other fonts though. Shoot me an PM with your email and I can send more stuff over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ianotoole wrote:
If a typeface needs a drop shadow to make it stand out on a logo, then it's not suitable for a logo (name me one successful logo that utilises a drop shadow in this manner).

Sure. How about this one? I think it's done pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice try, but the drop shadow on the Coke logo is a style element, it's not used to make the text more legible. It is perfectly legible without it. Hence I used the words "in this manner" to denote using a drop shadow to compensate for an illegible typeface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ianotoole wrote:
Nice try, but the drop shadow on the Coke logo is a style element, it's not used to make the text more legible. It is perfectly legible without it. Hence I used the words "in this manner" to denote using a drop shadow to compensate for an illegible typeface.

The drop shadow was used in the 90s BECAUSE more background elements were added. This debate will never end. And I don't think any designer should go with the current conventional wisdom. Do what looks good! Also look at the Google logo which includes a drop shadow.

This is all beside the point though. The logo will work just fine with a different deco font. My point is that the font is not the issue here. It it the contrast between the background color and the font color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, the drop shadow on Google's logo is a style element, not for legibility purposes, so that doesn't illustrate your point. Neither this nor the Coke logo need the drop shadow since the type is clear and legible. Also, we're talking about making one element of the logo stand out from the rest of the logo, not making the logo stand out from its background. If a logo needs help standing out from itself, it has no chance when placed amongst other elements. Yes, the lack of contrast doesn't help at all, but the problems will still exist even if that is removed.

I will argue for good typography until I die, and the typeface used is simply not an effective choice for the design.

Very high stroke contrast = difficult to read at small sizes. Also large variations between the N space and the geometric O mean that the eye does not pass over it smoothly. Any respectable type manual or experienced typographer will tell you this. Personal choice shouldn't come into this, it's a matter of typographic principals. I have designed brands for over fifteen years of my life, and I would never consider this typeface or anything like it. There are multitudes of more suitable typefaces, a fact which, in and of itself, makes this one a bad design decision (no offence intended to the designer – I realise it wasn't final).

It's not about going with or against conventional wisdom, it's about effective communication of one of the most important marketing aspects of your business, its name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Kraus
United States
New Carlisle
IN
flag msg tools
From what folks have been saying I agree that The name should be readable. Making it bigger with a nice font? Down size the picture a bit? I say just try different things with it. But it should be legible even in a small format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a few modifications to the font.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Kraus
United States
New Carlisle
IN
flag msg tools
I think, out of these choices I like the last two the best. I think I like the second to the last more but it's close. I like how it's easy to read. Which is important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you drop the saturation 60 percent, you get a more dated look.
I think the name is too much now, it screams at you.
I'd think about stretching it across the inner box so it lines up with the edges, and getting rid of the black lines under the name. Let the name be the decor.

I don't think this is the font to use. I like it and the batman animated series uses it because it is art deco, but certain letters are huge. And that detracts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.