Cesar Puga
Brazil
FLORIANOPOLIS
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, everyone. My friend and I wanted to play BSG by ourselves (no, I don't have that many 2-player games, I know) and we ended up with the following set of rules. We tried to create that feeling of not trusting anyone, yourself included. We played once making adjustements as we went through. It still needs some tweaks so that's why I'm sharing it here.

Here is what we thought of:

Battlestar Galactica - 2 Player Variant

1) Character Selection

Follow this order: Player A, Player B, Player B, Player A
Players must ensure that each one has only one title at the begining of the game.
After selection, randomly draw 2 other characters and put them aside as crew.
The order of play is Character 1-A, Character 1-B, Character 2-A, Character 2-B.

2) Loyalty Deck

Shuffle one YAAC card and 5 YANAC cards.
Each character gets ONE card (even Baltar). Give one face down card for each character of the crew.
Players MAY NOT look at their own loyalty card. They remain secret unless an effect or action is triggered.

3) Character Action

Every character gains the following action:
Action: Look AND Reveal your loyalty card.
If it is a YAAC card, resolve like a standard reveal, then move to Res. Ship. Your opponent gains control over your other character. If it is a YANAC card, put it on the Cylon Effects pool and discard 3 cards.

4) Research Lab

Research lab has a new action with a Skill Check:
Cylon Detector 9 YPB. Pass: Look at the Loyalty Card belonging to any character/crew. You MAY immediately reveal it. (Exception: Crew member, rule 08)

5) Adm. Quarters, Brig, Administration.

The characters that did NOT activate the location may only play ONE card at the skill check.

6) Executive Order

A player may only XO a character controlled by the other player.
This effect ends when the cylon is revealed.

7) Draw Cards

Characters draw only 4 cards. Revealed cylons draw 3 cards from any skill set.

8) Crew Members

If a character looks at the Loyalty Card of a Crew character, he must immediately reveal it.
If it's a YAAC card, the player that looked at the card resolves it. After that he takes this character as his own and move to the Ressurection Ship, then he removes one of the characters from the game. The other player will play as the Human with the three remaining characters.
If it's a YANAC card, put that card in the Cylon Effects Pool.

9) End game

If the cylon is revealed, end game is as usual but you also apply the Cylon Effect Pool. (See below)
If the cylon is unrevealed, then all Loyalty cards are revealed. If a player holds a YAAC card, place his other loyalty card on
the Cylon Effects Pool. If NO player has a YAAC card, then place all loyalty cards (from both players) into the Cylon Effects Pool.
Other than that, game win conditions are the same.

10) Cylon Effects Pool

For each card on the Cylon Effect Pool, choose the lose condition that is closer to be achieved and advance it once.
(ie: if fuel is the lowest, reduce it by one for each card; if the centurion marker is one space away of the Humans Lose space, move it further). No more than 3 cards can be used this way.

So you wont know if you are a cylon, if your opponent is a cylon or if this is a cooperative trip. And if it is co-op, it will be much harder.

Looking forward to hear your comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sooooo....players don't know their own loyalty unless they prove it or spend a turn on a skill check so they can check themselves? That sounds really odd.

I would think both players would be spending their actions trying to figure out what team they are on. If you are a cylon, you simply never reveal and use BOTH characters to cause mayhem, forcing the other player to spend actions trying to prove which one of you is a cylon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Puga
Brazil
FLORIANOPOLIS
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
Sooooo....players don't know their own loyalty unless they prove it or spend a turn on a skill check so they can check themselves? That sounds really odd.

I would think both players would be spending their actions trying to figure out what team they are on. If you are a cylon, you simply never reveal and use BOTH characters to cause mayhem, forcing the other player to spend actions trying to prove which one of you is a cylon.

You are right, but remember that you have only 1/3 of chance of being a cylon. But when it happens it is going to be a 2 x 2 game until the human player uses the Cylon Detector on the cylon to bring it back to 3 x 1. It may take a while, but eventually it will happen.

Work-arounds for this: Perhaps the Cylon Detector can't be used on yourself... or the Cylon Detector skill check follows the same limitations stated on rule 05, making it less spikable.

Thanks for your comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Shaffstall
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never been a fan of trying to shoehorn the normal BSG mechanics into a two-player game. You might try a variant we've tried with success, where you use the game to play a different sort of game: [geekurl=http://boardgamegeek.com/article/5167136]Two-Player Cylon Leader Variant[/geekurl]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Puga
Brazil
FLORIANOPOLIS
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jshaffstall wrote:
I've never been a fan of trying to shoehorn the normal BSG mechanics into a two-player game. You might try a variant we've tried with success, where you use the game to play a different sort of game: [geekurl=http://boardgamegeek.com/article/5167136]Two-Player Cylon Leader Variant[/geekurl]

Yeah, I much ratter play it with 5... but that just happened.

I read that thread and some others before posting this (to check if I was not posting something already thought of) but the thing is I only own the Base game so couldn't play the variant with Cylon Leaders and Agendas.

Do you think this might work with the expansions?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also if one of the two crew members is a cylon and no one checks it, then it is four characters against the game. That's bad.

Maybe you could have the players each get to look at one of the crew members' loyalty at sleeper phase? And they can choose to reveal it, or not? Maybe don't reveal on human and you can choose to reveal it or not if it is a cylon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Puga
Brazil
FLORIANOPOLIS
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
Also if one of the two crew members is a cylon and no one checks it, then it is four characters against the game. That's bad.

Maybe you could have the players each get to look at one of the crew members' loyalty at sleeper phase? And they can choose to reveal it, or not? Maybe don't reveal on human and you can choose to reveal it or not if it is a cylon.

This situation we got covered (kind of). If one of the crew members is a unchecked cylon, the Cylon Effects Pool will have 4 cards and you have to resolve 3. That means you will have to keep all your resources at 4 or higher to win. That said, I liked your suggestion to have them checked by sleeper phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike_Bonn wrote:
This situation we got covered (kind of). If one of the crew members is a unchecked cylon, the Cylon Effects Pool will have 4 cards and you have to resolve 3. That means you will have to keep all your resources at 4 or higher to win. That said, I liked your suggestion to have them checked by sleeper phase.

That's only if people use the ability to spend an action and look at their own loyalty card. If they don't use it, then there is nothing in the cylon effects pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Puga
Brazil
FLORIANOPOLIS
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, maybe rule 09 need to be re-phrased.

Mike_Bonn wrote:

9) End game

If the cylon is revealed, end game is as usual but you also apply the Cylon Effect Pool. (See below)
If the cylon is unrevealed, then all Loyalty cards are revealed. If a player holds a YAAC card, place his other loyalty card on the Cylon Effects Pool. If NO player has a YAAC card, then place all loyalty cards (from both players) into the Cylon Effects Pool.
Other than that, game win conditions are the same.

How could the underlined segment address clearer that if both players were human, then ALL their cards go to the Cylon Effect Pool ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just say "if a crew member has the YAAC, then all non-crew loyalty cards go into the pool". Or something similar.

Also, you expect humans to win with 4 or more fuel? That'd be really difficult in an entirely cooperative game, let alone one where there is loyalty questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Puga
Brazil
FLORIANOPOLIS
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
Just say "if a crew member has the YAAC, then all non-crew loyalty cards go into the pool". Or something similar.

Also, you expect humans to win with 4 or more fuel? That'd be really difficult in an entirely cooperative game, let alone one where there is loyalty questions.

Yep, it would be too hard. And it kind of adds a meta-game if players are sure one of the crew is the cylon: they would try to find out who so they could assume the cylon role.

Like I said, it needs tweaks. What about rolling a die for each Card left on the Cylon Effect Pool and reduce the resource rolled:
1 - Cylon choose
2 - Fuel
3 - Food
4 - Morale
5 - Population
6 - Damage Galactica
7 - Centurion
8 - Human choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about each one can be used as one of the reveal powers, chosen randomly. Maybe the cylon play can spend an action to use ot as such, or they happen at each jump after sleeper.

What exactly is the point of it, to balance out the 3-1 or 4-0 problems? You could just reveal the crew at sleeper and if one is a cylon then add two negative cards to every check from the top of the decks of cards. And maybe get an extra crisis every time after the four humans have gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.