7 Posts

Summoner Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Luck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gamer 2012
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am comparing this to upcoming conquest tactics and was wondering how much luck is involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dubya
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mbmbmbmbmb
A fair amount - not only are you contending with a shuffled deck of cards, you are then also relying on the fall of the dice when doing the majority of interaction with the other player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gamer 2012
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It sounds suitably different from MW and BFW then, that's cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone who truly loves card games, this is the greatest "hand management" game ever. There's definitely luck there, you can have a "good" draw or a "bad draw. However, if you like trick taking games because of the way you have to manage your hand and make the best of it, SW is way better at that than any other card game I've played, and the ability to turn out a strong game in those rare instances where your champs were all at the bottom or your opening hand was all events, is what separates good players from great players.

Like any minis game there's dice rolling for attacks and some abilities.

I haven't played the other games you're talking about... If you've played Memoir 44, the games actually have a lot in common, but Summoner Wars is less luck-based.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Nicholas
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer667788 wrote:
I am comparing this to battleground fantasy and the upcoming mage wars and conquest tactics and was wondering how much luck is involved.

I win about 90% of the time against other the other members of my game group. There's luck there, certainly, but a skillful player will easily destroy someone who doesn't know what he's doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Bullock
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple major things that mitigate the luck here. Now, there are obviously both dice to be rolled and cards to be drawn in this game, both of which add an element of luck. However, you hit on 2/3 of your rolls, which is quite often for any kind of game with dice.

As for the card drawing, a subtle way in which Summoner Wars limits this is that in most games you're going to draw through your entire deck. So while, yes, you can get stuck with a bad hand, there's no card that's going to be stuck at the bottom of your deck that you never get to see.

Lastly, of course, is the Build Magic phase itself. James Sitz (lead playtester) likes to talk about how the Build Magic phase in and of itself is a balancing mechanism in this game. Your dice went poorly so you didn't get as much Magic as you needed? Build something. Your draw was bad so you need to empty your hand? Build something. Hopefully that's enough to turn things around for you.

Now, of course, this doesn't mean you won't get the occasional awful hand (2x Wake the Father Gem, Lun, Sprog, and Kynder or something) or that sometimes you won't just miss every attack dice for two or threes turns, and while that can be frustrating, there are at least things built into the game system you can do about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Except the other player who rolled well gets to "build something" much easier. So in that context the magic pile is not a leveler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.