B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With 20 cards now revealed (okay, one of them is a faction card), the combos keep coming in...

We now have a card that can give the Corp an incredible boost in ICE deployment and Rezzing, I speak of Hass-Bioroid's Accelerated Beta Test:

This is a potentially dangerous card to the Corp in a number of ways.

If you assume the Corp has loaded about 40% ICE into their deck (traditionally a proper amount for 'normal' play decks), then this card can be expected to hit one or two ICE that you don't have to pay to install or rez. That's great! We haven't seen the cost of Hass-Bioroid ICE yet, but heck, if you can install a Hadrian's Wall or two with this, that easily 18 or more cred you've saved depending on where the ICE get installed.

What about the cards you don't install? They get trashed. Yup, straight to the Archives. If any of them are an Agenda, now you've got another Data Fort to protect aggressively because there's no way to get those Agenda back out (that we've seen yet).

Another detrimental effects on the Corp could be the shortening of the game by three turns (as described here The Corporation Timer: effects of a thin deck). The timer effect is limited if any ICE are hit since you'd be net positive with regards to ICE installation if the total install and rez costs are 9 or higher.

How do you mitigate all this? With a little help from this little lady:

Precognition only costs the card and action - no bit loss, which helps. That leaves two actions to finish the Advancement of the Accelerated Beta test, confident in the knowledge that when you finish you'll be Installing the right ICE and trashing only what you want to trash. Don't like what you see? You can still advance the Agenda and NOT look at any cards (it does say 'may'), since you know your beta test will end in disaster.

Of course, maybe it's better to let the Runner steal the Agenda (it's only 2 points) and try again later.

Alternatively, you can accelerate R&D slightly with a Anonymous Tip and draw into the beyond past your Precog's ability to see into the future:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy W
United States
Wheatfield
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the same combo I was looking at when I read Precognitive Beta Testing. It also pushes me even more into the camp that the pips will be out-of-faction restrictions.

Precognitive Beta Testing really wants some ability to see the future (the possibility of losing an agenda to it will make people think twice about playing it, unless HB really allows for lock down games where you have time/credits to build up protection on Archives).

I'll bet we'll see a lot of two/three card combos like this that are purposely put into different factions (and what likely set the number of pips). If the pips are for out-of-faction, 3 Precognition and 3 Anonymous Tips in a HB deck would eat up 12 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.