Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Bob
United States
Beachwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Here's an example, and area has 2 tickers and a boomer.

If I hit a ticker, and kill it, thus it explodes, it deals one wound to the boomer and one the the ticker, but I was using the boom gun and got an omen, so an additional wound was done to the boomer. My question is, would the second ticker finish the boomer off? Or would that happen after it was wounded and thus not be enough?

And if I hit the boomer with a boom gun, and it got an omen, causing both tickers to explode, would that work to finish off the boomer assuming I wounded it with the boom gun?

I ask because I'm not sure how the timming in either example would work, with the way the wound setup is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brock Poulsen
United States
Boise
Id
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like the Boomer gets hit by 3 separate explosions, each doing 1 damage. The Boomshot omen deals a wound, the first Ticker deals a wound, then the second Ticker.

Nicely played

Edit: Forgot to address your 2nd question. Yes, as long as the Boomshot does at least one wound, if you roll an omen each Ticker will add one wound, so the Boomer will be finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Bob
United States
Beachwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
So in both cases the boomer is taken off the board? We weren't sure if the wounds from the explosions happen before or after you put the wound marker on. So in those examples, the three wounds would go through without it being wounded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brock Poulsen
United States
Boise
Id
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, in both cases the Boomer is done. Either way, you're dealing 3 (or more) total wounds to the Boomer, and that's how many it takes to kill it.

As far as the wound marker placement, I think you could benefit from resolving all wounds dealt, then adding the wound marker (if necessary). It can be confusing because some of the wound markers show 1 life remaining, even if you didn't deal enough wounds to take them down to 1.

Maybe thematically, this represents that your enemy keeps bleeding after a single wound?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If, as the example seems to point to, the Boomer takes 1 dmg three times, wouldn't that mean it survives? Initially it is at full health, then it takes a Boomshot Omen hit that wounds it, leaving it with 2 health (as per Boomer wound token). Ticker #1 blows up, deal 1 dmg, but that isn't equal to the 2 needed, so no effect. Ticker #2 blows up, again 1 dmg, no effect. If the damage was all from a single source, 3 dmg would kill it, but it is 3 sources of 1 dmg, they aren't added together as I understand it, instead they are dealt separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Bob
United States
Beachwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Dam the Man wrote:
If, as the example seems to point to, the Boomer takes 1 dmg three times, wouldn't that mean it survives? Initially it is at full health, then it takes a Boomshot Omen hit that wounds it, leaving it with 2 health (as per Boomer wound token). Ticker #1 blows up, deal 1 dmg, but that isn't equal to the 2 needed, so no effect. Ticker #2 blows up, again 1 dmg, no effect. If the damage was all from a single source, 3 dmg would kill it, but it is 3 sources of 1 dmg, they aren't added together as I understand it, instead they are dealt separately.

that's how we played it, but I asked her to make sure that was right.

We were confused though, because wouldn't the tickers happen at the same time? Or would each trigger seperatly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the timing is really touched on in the rules. In the Roadblocks Mission clarification bit, it does mention dealing 3 wounds total to Marcus, but being a COG, their wounds are handled differently, so for them, doing 1x 3 dmg or 3x 1 dmg is the same, 3 cards tossed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brock Poulsen
United States
Boise
Id
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I tend to be more forgiving for myself I total all the damage and compare it to the enemy's life, regardless of separate sources. Then I resolve it to either a kill if it meets or exceeds enemy life, or to wound the enemy.

The rules aren't explicit as to when a wound marker is added, but on page 19 it says, "If a Locust figure is dealt a number of wounds that equals or exceeds its current health value (as indicated on its Enemy card or on its wound marker), it is killed."

Basically, a wound marker is there to indicate an enemy has been hurt, not to protect it from one-at-a-time wounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:

I would play this way as well.
Though, in this case, adding the damage from both tickers would make sense thematically, since they explode exactly at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Bob
United States
Beachwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
That's where the issue came in. The tickers happen at the same time, so it makes sense to have them count at once. But we weren't sure of the timming for everything else, and we couldn't find anything like this in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever the rules are in doubt for me, I go with the video game. Have you ever felled a Boomer with exploding tickers? No. Keep pumping lead into it and kill it the hard way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
If the damage was all from a single source, 3 dmg would kill it, but it is 3 sources of 1 dmg, they aren't added together as I understand it, instead they are dealt separately.

I agree with this too. There's nothing in the rules that supports adding the separate damage together into a single attack, even when it comes from simultaneously exploding tickers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
Whenever the rules are in doubt for me, I go with the video game. Have you ever felled a Boomer with exploding tickers? No.

Thanks for the info (I haven't play the videogame). So here the videogame and the boardgame rules are coherent, I guess that settles it for me .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
Whenever the rules are in doubt for me, I go with the video game. Have you ever felled a Boomer with exploding tickers? No. Keep pumping lead into it and kill it the hard way!

But could you kill a Boomer by firing a Boomshot at its feet, where two Tickers are hanging out? Probably.

Still, I would agree that the Tickers each deal 1 point of damage separately, meaning that the Boomer would not die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raph Moimoi
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:

I agree with you : to finish the Boomer it needs to be hurt by 2 damages by one source. Two exploding Tickers are not a unique source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.